'22 GA WR Kaleb Webb (Tennessee signee)

Anything under 11 is objectively "very fast" because it is usually allows the few HS boys who run that time to earn a scholarship to run track at the college level. The fastest player on our team (per the photo that made the rounds earlier this summer), DeShawn Rucker, has a PR of 10.76 in Florida HS with official timing. Yes, we do have better speed on this team than we have had in awhile: Jalin Hyatt, very very fast, ran a 10.46 in HS. Jimmy Calloway ran a 10.89 his senior year. Javonta Payton, a very fast receiver, PR 11.17 in HS from an official event. Jaylen Wright 60 meter indoor time is unbelievably good. Tennessee should have some of the fastest skills players in the country, and as I show below, we are recruiting more.

For further context, the 2021 state champion 100 meter runner in 4A in Florida ran a 10.72. In 2020, US teenage track sensation Erriyon Knighton ran a 10.67 100 m officially timed in Florida. In Alabama this Spring, in the highest classification, only 4 guys broke 11 seconds in the final. The top two are guys we are recruiting (1st place: Jarrell Stinson 10.79, 2nd place, Vol Commit Marquarius White 10.81). Vol commit Dylan Sampon, also blazing fast, has a PR of 10.62 (with a reported 10.48).

In Georgia this Spring, the state champion 100 meter runner in class 7A ran a 10.72. They had a very impressive 12 runners break 11 seconds. One of them, the subject of this thread, Kaleb Webb, who impressed Vol coaches with his speed in camp, ran a 10.96.

I say all this to say that, yes, this recruit is quite fast, and acting like a 10.91 isn't fast for a HS Junior is off the mark, imo.

Great post! The guy saying he isn't fast is CLUELESS! I put him in his place. But, you did a much better job of doing so!!!

Glad he's "fast"

Can he catch the ball?

Last edited:
Why the quotes around "fast" - anything you want to share with the class?

I gather he can catch well enough to earn scholarship offers to major D1 programs to play wide receiver.
He's just jesting toward the fact that way too much time was spent arguing about it...

It's actually a very subjective thing, in all honesty.

James Banks was plenty fast and dynamic for a WR and he ran 10.9, so I used him as an example, for instance.

But Jalin Hyatt ran 10.47
Barion Brown runs 10.41
Anthony Shwartz 10.01

They are real blazers.

Reactions: volnut1
Why the quotes around "fast" - anything you want to share with the class?

I gather he can catch well enough to earn scholarship offers to major D1 programs to play wide receiver.
because some posters were saying that his #'s weren't fast compared to others..............should have put it in blue

He's just jesting toward the fact that way too much time was spent arguing about it...

It's actually a very subjective thing, in all honesty.

James Banks was plenty fast and dynamic for a WR and he ran 10.9, so I used him as an example, for instance.

But Jalin Hyatt ran 10.47
Barion Brown runs 10.41
Anthony Shwartz 10.01

They are real blazers.
Yes, and I agree with you that there is a subjective nature to how we describe a player as fast. But a point I was making with a couple of posts, and you've made the same, is that with the verifiable data we have we can say some guys are objectively fast. There just aren't that many high school boys running sub-11 who also play football at a high level.

But why is this interesting to me? I'm a big recruiting junkie and I'm tired of Tennessee being bad. One thing that has stood out to me in a major way about the new staff is that they have confidence in their evaluations and strict profiles for guys they recruit. Of course I'll add the caveat that we don't know how it will work out, but it is hard to not be excited after two consecutive staffs recruited in a manner I would describe as haphazard.

So, speed on the outside is something many staffs talk about, but they're clearly prioritizing it in a different way.

Reactions: LittleVol
Though he says it would be hard for any team to flip him from ECU, he admits that he’s listening to other schools. Particularly Tennessee and Kentucky, the two schools recruiting him the hardest outside of ECU.

“I’m still looking at other schools because it’s just a blessing to be in the spot I’m in,” Webb said. “Not everybody gets this chance, so I’m just taking this all in. But I would say I’m really strong on East Carolina and it’s going to take a lot to flip from them.”

The next step for Webb as other teams enter his recruitment is setting up visits for the fall. He intends to make it up for a game on Rocky Top, though he hasn’t decided on a date.

“I definitely want to get up to Tennessee for a game, and at Kentucky, if I have a chance,” Webb said. “Those schools are recruiting me the hardest outside of East Carolina. I definitely want to get up to both schools to see how the culture is and how it is on gameday.”

Webb will be watching on Thursday night when Tennessee takes the field against Bowling Green for the first game of the Josh Heupel era.

What does the 6-foot-3 wideout want to see from the Vols offense? It’s pretty simple: explosive plays.

“I want to see explosive plays because those really excite me, and I also like special in explosive plays, so I’m looking for them to take some shots,” Webb said. “Plus, I want to see some diversity in their offense like different running schemes and how well the quarterback operates in the system.”

“Coach Heupel’s offense is actually the same offense we run at my high school. That’s really intriguing to me because I can come in and already have a head start. And I’ll have an opportunity for big plays because of it.”

Webb’s love for explosive plays are evident in his game. It’s why Tennessee offered.

In the first game of his senior season two weeks ago, he scored four touchdowns in McEachern’s 53-20 win over Kell inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta in the Corky Kell Classic. Webb caught six passes for 146 yards and three touchdowns. He also returned a kick 86-yards for a touchdown.

Webb is also a track star at McEachern. He was timed at 10.91 seconds in the 100-meter run earlier this spring.

“Tennessee likes how I catch the ball, plus I’m a tall guy with good speed, so I can stretch the field vertically,” Webb said. “They really like my explosive plays.”

“Tennessee was saying both of their outside receivers were graduating after this season, so if I were to go up there, I could compete for a spot as a freshman. That sounded good.”
-VQ

Looking at the board it’s mostly defense from here on out barring losses to the class or the potential to look into the portal. Kaleb Webb has continued to gain traction and Tennessee is interested but is he what they need? I could see them going older with more experience from the portal depending on this season goes.

vq

WR KALEB WEBB

Webb, a senior at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Ga., has been committed to East Carolina for more than three months. But he has added scholarship offers from 10 other schools, including Tennessee, in a little more than a month and now is planning to explore some of his other options before finalizing his college decision. South Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Virginia are among the other teams that have joined the race for him since Aug. 22, largely as a result of his impressive start to his senior season. But the Vols appear to be one of the main threats to the Pirates, and he's already planning to return to Knoxville on an unofficial visit Oct. 9 for their home game against South Carolina. The 6-foot-2.5, 185-pound Webb has visited Tennessee multiple times in the past, including his brief trip there in June for one of the Vols' camps.
-Callahan

He was back at Tennessee on Saturday for the first time since getting his offer from the Vols in late August, and he definitely came away impressed. He's still going to take more visits and take his time reaching a final decision, but Tennessee remains perhaps the Pirates' main competition for him, with Kentucky, South Carolina, Louisville and others also in the picture.
callahan

“It went really well,” said Webb, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 72 wide receiver in the 2022 class and the No. 53 senior from the state of Georgia. “I got to talk to (wide receivers) coach (Kodi) Burns, (offensive coordinator Alex) Golesh, Coach Heupel in person to really get a feel for who they are — like, a better feel for who they are, because I’ve only over-the-phone conversations.

“And then me seeing the environment at Tennessee, the fans — that’s probably the loudest stadium I’ve been to so far — and also seeing how productive their offense was against South Carolina, it looked very (good), too.”

“I do plan to take all four of them,” he said, referring to his official visits. “I’m probably going to South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville and then my last one will probably either be Houston or Kentucky. …

“I definitely will get up there (to Tennessee) for an official.”

“I really like how I feel like everybody’s incorporated in the offense. Most of the skill positions, if you touch the field, you’re going to at least have a chance to contribute on the offense with the ball in your hands, so just the way they spread the ball amongst the players. And them taking deep shots, as well, just kind of excites me because that’s what I like to do.”

“What I saw sophomore year and my senior year now, I can definitely see a change,” Webb said. “And I feel like the fans feel the same way, as well.”
callahan

VN Store

Back