'21 GA WR Julian Nixon (Tennessee signee)

“Nixon is a big body. He’s been a big kid from the beginning. He was getting offers as a freshman already when he was 6-3 around 190 (pounds). Now he’s 6-5 and in that 225-230-pound range. Is he a big receiver? A flex-out tight end? I lean more toward tight end. Julian doesn’t want to hear that. He wants to be that receiver, but I think he can maximize his ability and skill-set as that athletic hybrid. He can create more mismatches. He’s best in the red zone. He had a big freshman season. Had the ACL injury as a sophomore and then as a junior didn’t play in a big throwing offense. So he hasn’t had the numbers since his freshman year, but don’t let that skew your judgment. He’s a player that is big, can frame out defender, has great catch radius, has very good ball skills, and again, he’s a weapon every time his team is in the red zone. He could improve his explosiveness. His route runn(ing). He’s a solid blocker on the perimeter. I like the pickup. He’s a guy that’s versatile. He can play inside, outside. Create some mismatches down the road. He’s a consistent ball-catcher. He’ll win those jump balls. He’s a great kid. Comes from a great family. Has a good work ethic and a lot of love for Tennessee, and that’s a good thing as well.
— Chad Simmons, Rivals.com Southeast Analyst

UGASports - Impact Analysis: Julian Nixon

Julian Nixon has a big frame, and he knows how to use it. He’s adept at catching jump balls and passes thrown in traffic, using his 6-foot-3 body and physicality to separate himself from the defender and make sure he comes down with the ball. He has a very good catch radius and simply does what needs to be done to pull in a reception. I particularly like what he brings in the red zone, and he’s an ideal target there. Not only is Nixon big, but he’s gritty and fights for extra yardage. He won’t go down on first contact, and he plays with a lot of aggression. He runs the routes he knows very well, too.

Impact Report: 2021 WR Julian Nixon | Rocky Top Insider

Oh nice!

I am going off of the video clip where he mentioned something about his team changing. I was unsure what he was referencing. Do you have any additional details to provide?
Julian had Auburn and Michigan as his front runners last year. My Grandson became the QB during mid season last year as a Sophomore. They have a new coach coming in this year and they are having a Zoom meeting Thursday evening to get things started. Nixon has great hands and can run over defenders. His coach last year played him wide a lot last year and that may change this Fall. When he gets in better condition, he may be playing at 215-220. I think he will play a lot for us.

VN Store

Back