'19 GA WR Jerrod Means (Pitt signee)

There's more this year?
From an article after Hoover by Nick Wheatley:
"The NCAA and NFL have both implemented stiffer penalties for players regarding targeting and blindside blocks.

The newest of the bunch in college this season will be “confirming” a targeting penalty to remove any ambiguity concerning the play.

Previously, officials could confirm the call, in which instance the player would be ejected; they could say that the call on the field stands; or, they could overturn the call, resulting in a waiving of the 15-yard penalty and ejection.

This new rule change removes “the call stands” option for officials, which means a targeting penalty must be “confirmed” in order to eject a player from the game.

By definition, targeting means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Launching, a crouch with upward thrust and leading with the helmet are all indicators “95 plus percent of the time”, according to Shaw.

On another note, blindside blocks are now illegal. A blindside block is defined as an open field block against an opponent that is initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision, or otherwise in such a manner that the opponent cannot reasonably defend himself against the block. An exception is when the runner or receiver is in the act of attempting to make a catch.

No player shall deliver a blindside block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact. This results in a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty. In addition, if this action meets all the elements of targeting, the call can be deemed a blindside block with targeting, which would result in an ejection from the game.

The NCAA had already approved stricter penalties for targeting earlier this year. While players already face a half-game suspension following a targeting ejection, now, three in one season will result in a full-game suspension."

Hey i need to block you, could you look at me please?

A1F2FAE089FF3A856726CA44D8260D7B8014C9F3

Too ambiguous and too much in the ref's judgement.
Shoves whatever, let it slide.
Intentional excessive force, call it.

Most rules would be fine with common sense but...
Even "field of vision" is questionable 😂

2hbOshb.gif

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Not coming at you but with the new rules on targeting we may need twice as many in the defense secondary. Think there will be a lot of suspensions this year for everyone.

The new rule on targeting should actually result in less targeting penalties. There has to be definite proof of targeting in order to call it. If it is not definite targeting they cannot call it.

The new rule on targeting should actually result in less targeting penalties. There has to be definite proof of targeting in order to call it. If it is not definite targeting they cannot call it.
Warrior will get called for more than 3 tho.

I still have PTSD flashbacks from the Texas A&M game where they were literally knocking out players unconscious with targeting hits, yet none were called.
Then the next game they try to make up for it by calling everything.

Well you do realize the zebras usually go against us even when there clearly wrong. BVS

Thought it was funny when then the kid tweeted out "just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive"
Ha, that is funny. Makes me feel like less of an ******* for still laughing at his body language like...6 years later lol

Yeah that's a pretty stupid rule.

Just Birdbox your way through the line until you reach the ball carrier and no one can touch you.

I don't know what was wrong with just saying you can't blindside block with contact to the head or neck.

I think it's also possible Means is just too talented to have on the bench. Actually hoping 😁

But like I said, I have zero concerns in this case, plenty of time.
Just overall, experiment with them some, teach them helpful things, then find their place, let them master it.
It almost seems like means requested the move believing he had a better chance to play this season. And Pruitt probably saw enough potential for it to work to agree to it.

VN Store

Back