'19 GA WR Jerrod Means (Pitt signee)

I know Pruitt values versatility and foresee’s future emergencies, but I wish we could stop some of the musical chairs at positions.
He was asked about it in the press conference after practice - basically said that the WR group is pretty deep and wants to make sure he's got the best 22 on the field - sounds like he's giving Means an opportunity to be one of those 22...

Edit: Swansoned by TheMagnificantOne

Why don't you just listen to the post practice talk by CJP...he answered that. get your BEST 22 players on the field
Did...and it’s not the 1st (or 100th) time he’s issued that philosophy. I also prefaced everything with an understanding that versatility is valuable...that led to both our starting corners being formerly projected offensive players. Doesn’t change me hoping that the Fils-Aime and Byrd experiments were one time mistakes. Is Emerson better this season because he worked on the OL last season? Trust the coaches but I’ll ask a question or more without apology.

He was asked about it in the press conference after practice - basically said that the WR group is pretty deep and wants to make sure he's got the best 22 on the field - sounds like he's giving Means an opportunity to be one of those 22...
Cool...see other posts.

Coach said WR is deep and he wants best 22 on the field. He said that Means worked at CB 2nd half of summer and will continue at CB this fall camp. Sounds like he will have better opportunity of seeing the field on D this fall so that's where he'll practice in fall camp.

He very well may have run 11.68 as a jr. kids can change a lot over the junior to senior transition yr. I’d venture to say looking at him know his work on his body over past yr has allowed him to gain speed

Wasn't him...

Coach said WR is deep and he wants best 22 on the field. He said that Means worked at CB 2nd half of summer and will continue at CB this fall camp. Sounds like he will have better opportunity of seeing the field on D this fall so that's where he'll practice in fall camp.
Cool...hope he stays...22 rocks!

A 6'2" 205lb freshman corner with 4.4 speed is a scary prospect. Especially if he can press an jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. If he was looking like a definite redshirt at WR then it doesn't hurt to experiment early in camp. If it works out, it gives the defense some versatility that we don't currently have.

Buchanan may be out for a while, or all year. I could see Means working at the Star/Nickel spot. Or stick him outside and slide Bryce inside.

Did...and it’s not the 1st (or 100th) time he’s issued that philosophy. I also prefaced everything with an understanding that versatility is valuable...that led to both our starting corners being formerly projected offensive players. Doesn’t change me hoping that the Fils-Aime and Byrd experiments were one time mistakes. Is Emerson better this season because he worked on the OL last season? Trust the coaches but I’ll ask a question or more without apology.
Yeah, it's definitely something I'm split on and in a way, so is Pruitt, if you go by his own words.

"You try to get your best 22 on the field"

And

"The best way to get better at something, is repetition. The more times these guys take snaps at their positions, that's how they get better"

Might even be case by case, but definitely not black and white. Well, for me anyways.

May be a case of the other guys(corners) in this class are not physically ready to contribute right away and trying to give themselves options with a freak athlete who is.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Yeah, it's definitely something I'm split on and in a way, so is Pruitt, if you go by his own words.

"You try to get your best 22 on the field"

And

"The best way to get better at something, is repetition. The more times these guys take snaps at their positions, that's how they get better"

Might even be case by case, but definitely not black and white. Well, for me anyways.

Yeah, probably not black and white. This was Chaney speaking yesterday about finding the right guys for the offensive line:

“Everybody has a different opinion on that,” he said Thursday afternoon. “My history says defensive coordinators and defensive head coaches think you can move those pieces around a lot. The day before the game, hey, he can go to guard, he can go to tackle. Those people who have worked with the offensive line try to get it in place way too soon, so I’ve always mixed it trying to figure out the harmony there.

“I think as soon as you can find your five best players, you try to put them in the positions you need them at. It’s like anything else, but you also don’t want to do it so early you’re losing competition, too. We want to let this thing play out and see who the best players are. I’m real interested about that, it’ll be good to see.”

The point Chaney seemed to be making is you don't want to sacrifice competition just for the sake of continuity but it shouldn't take the entire camp for you to figure out who your best players are and I presume that would apply to just about every position. jmo.

From my VERY limited experience that it’s not a total waste moving postions from offense to defense or vice versa. Whenever you play a position you learn yourself so for WR it would be your getoff, your stems, your technique (feet and hands), your breakdowns, your restarts, bends on your routes, correct depths and correct steps, etc....
Then you learn your opponent coverages, techniques, their “tells” and yours, position maintenance... there is a lot lol.
Then the greats understand the whole offense and at least the whole secondary (react and respond) this guy goes here and so that means that guy has to go there etc...

So in a very long comment to make a simple point you play on the other side of the ball and know what they are trying to do to you and how to bait them...

P.S. that is why the best DB’s use to play on offense in HS....

Eric Berry was a QB/RB as well as a safety in HS

giphy.gif

There have been plenty of WR-turned-DB players that have planned out. Plus, even if he gets moved back to receiver, in theory he would be more aware of how to beat a secondary by learning their techniques/patterns. His size is the prototypical corner that Pruitt wants.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back