'20 GA WDE Simeon Barrow Jr (Mich State commit)

His point is we are not in a position to demand anything, but the same level of players with development certainly can get us there.
So you are in a position to demand something but just not by the same path as others propose?

You can find 3* talent to build a really good team. But you have to have very good talent evals and development. Still, you need to find a way to hedge your bet with 4/5* players too.

If players are looking at that 6 year history like you are then maybe you're right. But... what if the sales pitch is "We still have a rabid fan base, top ten facilities, a great school, SEC competition, a great history, and now... the best staff in the country that needs players like you to make a major move."

The "right" coach who finally gets it fixed will both find hidden talent AND get more than they should of highly rated guys.

So you are in a position to demand something but just not by the same path as others propose?

You can find 3* talent to build a really good team. But you have to have very good talent evals and development. Still, you need to find a way to hedge your bet with 4/5* players too.

If players are looking at that 6 year history like you are then maybe you're right. But... what if the sales pitch is "We still have a rabid fan base, top ten facilities, a great school, SEC competition, a great history, and now... the best staff in the country that needs players like you to make a major move."

The "right" coach who finally gets it fixed will both find hidden talent AND get more than they should of highly rated guys.
Yes, like last years class. Apparently 3* Roman and Means that some had a nervous breakdown over have been showing out as well as Burrell. Crouch and Darnell were both rated #1 at some point. Wanye and Henry are impressing people. Well, let's not go through the whole class..... The coaches are doing what is necessary. Whining fans are not necessary.

Yes, like last years class. Apparently 3* Roman and Means that some had a nervous breakdown over have been showing out as well as Burrell. Crouch and Darnell were both rated #1 at some point. Wanye and Henry are impressing people. Well, let's not go through the whole class..... The coaches are doing what is necessary. Whining fans are not necessary.
I remember videos and reports of Burrell being next level at jamming WRs at the line. Namely UGA’s 5* Blaylock.

I remember videos and reports of Burrell being next level at jamming WRs at the line. Namely UGA’s 5* Blaylock.
They showed the game on ESPN2 when North Gwinnett played Walton. Burrell was clamping Blaylock so badly in the first half that they had to put him at wildcat QB just to get him the ball. Burrell is gonna be nasty these next 3 years. Future NFL prospect IMO

No whining on my part. Pruitt has a tough task. He has to recruit over the recent program history and be really good at finding guys like the 3* players you mentioned. They're out there. In fact, there are bunches of them. Rarely is a coach good enough at finding them to make a living on it.

They showed the game on ESPN2 when North Gwinnett played Walton. Burrell was clamping Blaylock so badly in the first half that they had to put him at wildcat QB just to get him the ball. Burrell is gonna be nasty these next 3 years. Future NFL prospect IMO
Ah good to know which game that was. Ubben said that Calloway was “Mossin” on Burrell. Honestly, i’m not upset. Our senior WR should be Mossin on folks. Great practice for an incoming freshman against a seasoned veteran.

Ah good to know which that one was. Ubben said that Calloway was “Mossin” on Burrell. Honestly, i’m not upset. Our senior WR should be Mossin on folks. Great practice for an incoming freshman against a seasoned veteran.
Yeah, if he’s stuffing Calloway as a true frosh we are in trouble lol

Reactions: AaronUT
Calloway may end up being the best WR in the SEC (not in a Bama uniform) this year. Hard for a true freshman to cover that, especially on a 50/50 ball.

Yeah, if he’s stuffing Calloway as a true frosh we are in trouble lol

Not really. We already know Callaway can play st high level in this league. So it would just mean Burrell is that good if he was doing that. It would say much about Callaway imo as he is proven contributor

No whining on my part. Pruitt has a tough task. He has to recruit over the recent program history and be really good at finding guys like the 3* players you mentioned. They're out there. In fact, there are bunches of them. Rarely is a coach good enough at finding them to make a living on it.

Why would you not think that Pruitt wants to recruit more Top 100 players?

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Why would you not think that Pruitt wants to recruit more Top 100 players?
You need to read the context. I was responding to someone arguing that because UT has been bad for 6 years that we could not or should not expect Pruitt to get top tier recruits.

I say it is both. The guy who finally turns it around at UT will get more than they should of the highly rated guys AND will find more than their share of 3* players with 4* talent.

You need to read the context. I was responding to someone arguing that because UT has been bad for 6 years that we could not or should not expect Pruitt to get top tier recruits.

I say it is both. The guy who finally turns it around at UT will get more than they should of the highly rated guys AND will find more than their share of 3* players with 4* talent.
agreed. and that may just take a tad longer than a lof people think it will. barring some program changing top 5 or better class littered with "ready now, impact players", each class is going to have to have some development to build depth, to go along with the blue chips he is getting (and will continue to get).

I am reading the original post as that some fans expect Pruitt to be signing a majority of 5*/4* recruits, and that's not a plausible outlook at this time due to UT's past 10 years of poor on-field performance. Rome wasn't built in a day, after all.

I do agree with the bolded portion of your post, though.

I am reading the original post as that some fans expect Pruitt to be signing a majority of 5*/4* recruits, and that's not a plausible outlook at this time due to UT's past 10 years of poor on-field performance. Rome wasn't built in a day, after all.

I do agree with the bolded portion of your post, though.
You may not believe it is plausible... which it actually is plausible... but it is what it will take. It is not an ideal situation by any stretch but "the guy" will have to figure out how to sell the positives and suppress the negatives.

The one thing you can say about Jones is that he figured out how early on to get some top recruits. He also benefited from some unique legacy situations. He just wasn't a good coach.

We aren't talking about Rome. We are talking about finding and coaching up talent which completely turns over in every program every 4 or 5 years. No team is ever further away to failing or succeeding than a string of 3 or 4 recruiting classes.

There's also assumptions about how "empty" UT's current cupboard is. There are holes for sure but there's also some talent. Filling the talent gaps is not the equivalent of building Rome either.

VN Store

Back