'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

I’m not saying he won’t play TE. Just that I personally see it as more likely he gets flipped over.

Are you of the opinion that we’re good on the edge and won’t be looking to take any next cycle?

Echols looks good anywhere. And I agree with you that he's a much better edge than TE.

He's a different body than Ethan Davis.
Caleb Odom out of Carrollton, GA is a guy i hope the staff recruits right now. 6'4 220 runs like a WR and is physical. He will be a monster at TE one day.

Echols looks good anywhere. And I agree with you that he's a much better edge than TE.

Caleb Odom out of Carrollton, GA is a guy i hope the staff recruits right now. 6'4 220 runs like a WR and is physical. He will be a monster at TE one day.
Let’s get him on campus.

Abeln contacted him after he got the promotion per VQ

Jordan Ross
Bryce Young
Danny Okoye
Herb Gray
Quintavius Johnson
Elias Rudolph
Kameryn Fountain

Have all been to campus and are legit targets

As always at this time of year, I will be watching further developments for each of these guys to determine if the HOPE migrates to potential to expectation. Not all visits are created equal. We will have a pecking order and they will too. Both sides can change the order of preference while doing the dance.

A staff recognizing talent and some level of interest and investing in a visit of any kind gives them a better idea of where to invest their limited time and effort and money moving forward. Hope we yielded a healthy board and move wisely and efficiently. Will not enter bridge jumping mode for a while yet, till the level of interactions indicate we are in the serious short straws and want to be by identifying them as hard takes.

I am pleased that it appears, as one would expect after our season, that our starting board is comprised of indicated higher level targets.

BTW, I do really appreciate you guys with the time and resources to mine and share facts like these. Gets the recruiting juices flowing.

Last edited:
I have no doubt they will play him at TE.

I'm just saying he's a better Edge player

But kids will do what they want.

He's also needed at TE more. We've had success recruiting Edge guys the last 2 classes and appear to be in good shape for a bunch in the 2024 class. We haven't had that kind of success recruiting TE. Hopefully, Abeln changes that.

He's also needed at TE more. We've had success recruiting Edge guys the last 2 classes and appear to be in good shape for a bunch in the 2024 class. We haven't had that kind of success recruiting TE. Hopefully, Abeln changes that.
I'm fine with him being at TE, because of the things you just mentioned.
- great edge talent already
- need athletes at TE

There seems to be a ridiculous amount of TE talent for 2024 class.
Some are listed as "ATH", but they are be recruited as TEs same as Echols.
We need about 3 of them imo.

I'm fine with him being at TE, because of the things you just mentioned.
- great edge talent already
- need athletes at TE

There seems to be a ridiculous amount of TE talent for 2024 class.
Some are listed as "ATH", but they are be recruited as TEs same as Echols.
We need about 3 of them imo.

Agree. Folks who think Heupel doesn’t “utilize” the TE in this offense don’t understand it. A truly dynamic TE would open up an entirely new dimension. Imagine someone like a Kyle Pitts in this offense.

You really think he’s gonna play TE?

He’s 6’4” 230 with freaky athleticism.
Engineered to pressure QBs off the edge.
He should put on 20-30 lbs after getting on campus. Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker are 6'3"/6'2" 250lbs. Even if he doesn't, Shannon Sharpe was 6'2" 230lbs. I think determining whether a player is best as an EDGE or TE has to do with 1. Hands, 2. Unique physical skills that translate directly to the position and 3. Mentality. Not just a cookie-cutter size/measurables. Gronk and Clowney are nearly the same size. Or Witten and Chandler Jones. All 6'5"-6'6" and 255-265. But that's jmo.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He should put on 20-30 lbs after getting on campus. Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker are 6'3"/6'2" 250lbs. Even if he doesn't, Shannon Sharpe was 6'2" 230lbs. I think determining whether a player is best as an EDGE or TE has to do with 1. Hands, 2. Unique physical skills that translate directly to the position and 3. Mentality. Not just a cookie-cutter size/measurables. Gronk and Clowney are nearly the same size. Or Witten and Chandler Jones. All 6'5"-6'6" and 255-265. But that's jmo.
*with freaky athleticism

*with freaky athleticism
Yeah, Kyle Pitts has freaky athleticism too. Tight ends can be freak athletes. It's all about how their athletic traits and mentalities fit the positions. J.J. Watt was a subpar tight end in college but incredible defensive end. Travis Kelce, same height 30lbs lighter (but could beef up for the position) is an insane tight end, but would probably be a subpar defensive end.

Last edited:
Yeah, Kyle Pitts has freaky athleticism too. Tight ends can be freak athletes. It's all about how their athletic traits and mentalities fit the positions. J.J. Watt was a subpar tight end in college but incredible defensive end. Travis Kelce, same height just 20lbs lighter (but could beef up for the position) is an insane tight end, but would probably be a subpar defensive end.
Kelce is only 20 lbs lighter than Watt? JJ looks a lot bigger than that. I'm not saying you're wrong just from the eye test it appears greater than that.

Kelce is only 20 lbs lighter than Watt? JJ looks a lot bigger than that. I'm not saying you're wrong just from the eye test it appears greater than that.
Their ESPN high school recruiting profiles say JJ watt was 6'5" 220lbs as a senior, and Kelce was 6'5" 225lbs. Both tight end recruits. I think their current weights are very much a consequences of the positions they've ended up in.

VN Store

Back