'19 GA TE Jackson Lowe (Tennessee signee)

Moving TEs to OT is not a very good strategy imo. We need maulers on the OL. Not converted pass catchers.

That strategy can be fine if you have the time to develop players. Right now, we don’t have that time, and normally 4/5 star players don’t want to sit out.

But this was discussed a week or two ago about Butch taking lighter OL. Many of the top offensive tackles in the NFL were light coming out of high school. Tyron Smith was 260. David Bakhtiari was 266. Terron Armstead wasn’t ranked, added weight late in high school, and ran a 4.71 at the combine. Lane Johnson was a QB in high school at 202. Taylor Lewan was 272. Russell Okung was 250. Perhaps the best OT in the last 20 years, Joe Thomas was 270 out of high school. Now, some of those guys still played on the OL in high school. But the blue print is there to beef up lighter, more athletic players. It’s not for everyone.

Reactions: Rizzo924
That strategy can be fine if you have the time to develop players. Right now, we don’t have that time, and normally 4/5 star players don’t want to sit out.

But this was discussed a week or two ago about Butch taking lighter OL. Many of the top offensive tackles in the NFL were light coming out of high school. Tyron Smith was 260. David Bakhtiari was 266. Terron Armstead wasn’t ranked, added weight late in high school, and ran a 4.71 at the combine. Lane Johnson was a QB in high school at 202. Taylor Lewan was 272. Russell Okung was 250. Perhaps the best OT in the last 20 years, Joe Thomas was 270 out of high school. Now, some of those guys still played on the OL in high school. But the blue print is there to beef up lighter, more athletic players. It’s not for everyone.

The issue is you have to be able to identify those lighter players that have the frame to put on enough weight to be effective and you also have to have the S&C program to put it on. Neuhaus just doesn’t have the frame to put on the type of weight needed to play in the SEC. I think Tatum can and can be be good, he was just unlucky enough to start out with Butch. He has went from 255 to 290 and I bet he will be 305 com next year.

The issue is you have to be able to identify those lighter players that have the frame to put on enough weight to be effective and you also have to have the S&C program to put it on. Neuhaus just doesn’t have the frame to put on the type of weight needed to play in the SEC. I think Tatum can and can be be good, he was just unlucky enough to start out with Butch. He has went from 255 to 290 and I bet he will be 305 com next year.
The fact is Jones recruited guys that were WAY undersized for the SEC. And, those guys haven’t done enough to increase their size while here.
Yes, Tatum should get there next year. Ryan Johnson looks tiny out there. I’m surprised Neuhaus hasn’t been ripped in half.
Calbert, who is huge, still can’t get on the field and looks to have a lot of bad weight. Hall, who has the size, simply hasn’t recovered from the injuries.

Anyone expecting 3 or 4 freshman to start next year is crazy. These guys are going to have to get in the weight room. I thought Lane had one of the better frames of the olinemen. Jamir Johnson is also undersized but looks to be incredibly athletic.

Next year will be a much improved line because of experience and the room to improve from the S&C perspective. Plus, you likely return Kennedy.

Oh, and this kid at TE definitely has the frame.

Reactions: SugarCC
The fact is Jones recruited guys that were WAY undersized for the SEC. And, those guys haven’t done enough to increase their size while here.
Yes, Tatum should get there next year. Ryan Johnson looks tiny out there. I’m surprised Neuhaus hasn’t been ripped in half.
Calbert, who is huge, still can’t get on the field and looks to have a lot of bad weight. Hall, who has the size, simply hasn’t recovered from the injuries.

Anyone expecting 3 or 4 freshman to start next year is crazy. These guys are going to have to get in the weight room. I thought Lane had one of the better frames of the olinemen. Jamir Johnson is also undersized but looks to be incredibly athletic.

Next year will be a much improved line because of experience and the room to improve from the S&C perspective. Plus, you likely return Kennedy.

Oh, and this kid at TE definitely has the frame.
Jerome Carvin too. I would like to see something like:
Jahmir/Morris
Carvin/Locklear
Kennedy/Johnson
Hall/Calbert
Richmond/Tatum
Jahmir Johnson will be a stud next year imo. The guy weighs 270 right now, in Pruitts words. Get 30 pounds of muscle and fat on him over the next year combined with his athleticism, he would be perfect for was he was recruited for, a tackle.

Jahmir/Morris
Carvin/Locklear
Kennedy/Johnson
Hall/Calbert
Richmond/Tatum
Jahmir Johnson will be a stud next year imo. The guy weighs 270 right now, in Pruitts words. Get 30 pounds of muscle and fat on him over the next year combined with his athleticism, he would be perfect for was he was recruited for, a tackle.
That is essentially our starting line as it is.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Jahmir/Morris
Carvin/Locklear
Kennedy/Johnson
Hall/Calbert
Richmond/Tatum
There will be more new blood than that in our two-deep. Based off some things coach matthews has said in recent weeks.

Jahmir/Morris
Carvin/Locklear
Kennedy/Johnson
Hall/Calbert
Richmond/Tatum
I don't think you are Wright on this one.

Reactions: Paper_Towel
If everyone is healthy your line next year would be closer to this:

LT Morris/Tatum
LG Smith/Carvin
C Kennedy/R Johnson
RG Hall/Lampley
RT J Johnson/Wright

If Smith can’t go, and I don’t think he will be able to, Carvin slots in as the starter, and Locklear, Lane and R Johnson back up. I think Richmond leaves.

If everyone is healthy your line next year would be closer to this:

LT Morris/Tatum
LG Smith/Carvin
C Kennedy/R Johnson
RG Hall/Lampley
RT J Johnson/Wright

If Smith can’t go, and I don’t think he will be able to, Carvin slots in as the starter, and Locklear, Lane and R Johnson back up. I think Richmond leaves.
They may kick Hall out to RT and have R Johnson at RG

Reactions: SD189
If Richmond has graduated he can be a grad transfer. Does he not like the coaches demanding maximum effort out of him? Lol.

VN Store

Back