'19 GA S Jaylen McCollough (Tennessee signee)

Never thought Id see the day where USCe would out recruit us. Which is exactly whats trending :hmm: :angry:

4.7...don’t care. :boredom:

The 40 times at this year's Atlanta camp weren't very good, probably because the weather was cold (and maybe rainy too, can't remember). However, McCollough's 4.59 shuttle wasn't impressive either, nor his HS track times. Most college teams have some defensive backs who aren't exactly speed burners. Georgia has several on roster right now who ran similar times in HS.

The 40 times at this year's Atlanta camp weren't very good, probably because the weather was cold (and maybe rainy too, can't remember). However, McCollough's 4.59 shuttle wasn't impressive either, nor his HS track times. Most college teams have some defensive backs who aren't exactly speed burners. Georgia has several on roster right now who ran similar times in HS.

He also was coming off a road trip the day before to TN. Likely had road legs dragging

TORRANCE, Calif. - Jaylen McCollough is not ready to officially have a top four or five but at the adidas National Championships recently he did list off a bunch of schools he’s closely watching. And his recruitment has a decidedly SEC feel. “Right now I don’t have any favorites but I do keep my eye on Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn and Florida State,” McCollough said. The only school outside of the SEC on his list is Florida State and one big reason the Seminoles stand out is because of his relationship with coach Willie Taggart.

“I grew up being a big fan of the Noles,” McCollough said. “I talk to coach Taggart a lot and he’s a great coach. He did some great things at Oregon. Florida State has always been at the top and with coach Taggart there I’m pretty sure they’ll stay at the top.” The SEC powers also have a really big appeal to the four-star defensive back from Powder Springs (Ga.) Hillgrove. The national champs are definitely up there.

“Alabama is Alabama,” McCollough said. “It’s the nation’s best program. They’re recruiting me for defensive back. Once you get to Alabama, it’s something special. I’ve been up there eight or nine times and I fall in love with it every time I’m on campus.”

Tennessee and South Carolina are also high on McCollough’s list. Not only does he have great relationships with those coaching staffs but he sees both as up-and-coming powers in the conference. “I had a great relationship with coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and coach (Charles) Kelly when they were at separate schools and now they’re at the same school so I expect big things from Tennessee,” McCollough said. “I’m excited to see how the defense will operate with coach Pruitt and coach Kelly. Next couple years, Tennessee will be at the top of the SEC.

“I’ve been saying South Carolina is a few players away from winning the SEC. Coach (Will) Muschamp is a great guy to be around, a great defensive mind, coach (Bobby) Bentley at running back. They want me to play both ways so that’s something big. South Carolina is two or three players from being at the top.”

Auburn is right there as well. The Tigers seem to want McCollough at running back and that intrigues him, too. “Coach (Gus) Malzahn, coach (Tim) Horton and coach (Greg) Brown, Auburn is one of the premier SEC schools,” McCollough said. “They want me to play running back and a little bit of DB as well. They’re a few players away from being right up there with Alabama.” In January, the four-star released a top group of Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina.

- Adam Gorney, Rivals

Reactions: 2 people
From SEC Country:

And then finally, there’s Jaylen McCollough, a 4-star safety from Georgia. We’ve written about McCollough a lot on SEC Country. He’s visited Alabama more than any other school, and we have said that his recruitment felt like an Alabama-Auburn race. That was before we learned that several schools have concerns about McCollough’s speed.

McCollough posted a 4.71 40-yard dash time at Nike’s The Opening Atlanta regional camp in March. That’s a very slow time for a safety and a prospect who is 6-1 and 190 pounds. McCollough may need to camp this summer in Tuscaloosa. This is why you might have seen various recruiting reporters give their picks to schools such as South Carolina and Tennessee on the 247Sports Crystal Ball feature.

If a kid runs fast at those it’s cool but if not they don’t care. It’s a laser time and it was COLD. No one cares coaching wise.

VN Store

Back