‘23 GA S Jayden Davis (Louisville commit)

Your point would be valid if a bunch of in state non-NPA kids were giving this staff the time of day. But, they aren't so it doesn't appear to be a NPA thing as much as it is the uncertainty around the program currently. Like I said, '23 is looking much better on all fronts.

100%. I don't know what people expect. Recruiting has changed so much in the last 5, 10, 15 years. It's hard to develop those kind of relationships within 1 year when the elite kids have been hearing from the same staffs for 3-4 years already. There wasn't a lot of crossover from the kids CJH was recruiting for UCF and the kids he is recruiting now. It is encouraging that the '23 kids and beyond are being receptive and liking what they are seeing and hearing. This class was just going to be whatever we could grab and hang onto...get some portal and maybe JuCo kids to fill out the class and go all in for 23.

Reactions: SoilVol
“I feel like Tennessee is a top contender in my college spots right now, and I want to get on campus as much as possible before I make my decision on where I want to go,” Davis told GoVols247.

“I like everything (about Tennessee), really. I like the way that they’re putting in effort, because I feel like they actually care. Like, they’re not just recruiting me because I’m a good football player. They want to, like, build me as a person and make me better off the field.

“And the atmosphere when I went up to Tennessee, I loved it, and I can definitely see myself playing there and living there.”

“That was easily the loudest place I’ve ever been in my life, and I loved it.”

“They haven’t told me yet,” he said. “But I’m very open to playing corner or safety.”

“I want to release, like, a top seven on Christmas Day,” he said. “I want to commit sometime in the summer — maybe late May or June.”
callahan

interesting...
it's almost as if were recruiting DBs who are more fit to stop the run than to be able to play man to man.

Legion of Boom comes to mind.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
interesting...
it's almost as if were recruiting DBs who are more fit to stop the run than to be able to play man to man.

Have you analyzed all our guys listed as S in HS enough to rule out they have the speed and hips to move outside? I have seen it go both ways in HS. Sometimes coaches put kids at S to be able to cover more of the field and erase a lot of deep routes given the level of arms they face. Kind of a way to avoid best athletes being locked up on the outside with short out routes and to man up with the best guy when they go 5 wide letting the other safety play deep. So I am not going to freak out based on HS position.

Have you analyzed all our guys listed as S in HS enough to rule out they have the speed and hips to move outside? I have seen it go both ways in HS. Sometimes coaches put kids at S to be able to cover more of the field and erase a lot of deep routes given the level of arms they face. Kind of a way to avoid best athletes being locked up on the outside with short out routes and to man up with the best guy when they go 5 wide letting the other safety play deep. So I am not going to freak out based on HS position.
They could be Dale Carter like guys. Played safety in college and did pretty well as a CB in the NFL.

I thought i replied to this.

I think Luttrell can possibly play some CB
Conyers is our only CB right now.

Everyone else is a safety kind of.DB
But they all seem like solid tacklers. Very important on special teams and most downs

interesting...

They had the 2 best safeties in the game and one of if not the best corners in the game though. With all of the spread and air raid offenses in the SEC we’re going to have to get guys that are capable of playing on an island and we need them ready to play by next season. If not recruits and guys in the portal that we need to close the gap with Bama, Georgia, Florida, and soon to be LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, and OU and Texas (once the pod system goes in effect) aren’t going to see the improvements they are looking for to want to come here and those gaps are going to continue to grow

Why does it seem like we are recruiting a ton of safeties and very few true CBS?
The only thing I can think of is they are banking on taking 2-3 corners in the portal and locking up the 3 in state corners next year. The lack of corners in this class that we are even targeting much less landing is extremely concerning, because in my opinion we still haven’t landed an actual corner and I think Conyer ultimately ends up at nickel. At this point Gibson and Matthews are guys we absolutely can’t miss on. We need to cut them whatever size deal they want to get them on board

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The only thing I can think of is they are banking on taking 2-3 corners in the portal and locking up the 3 in state corners next year. The lack of corners in this class that we are even targeting much less landing is extremely concerning, because in my opinion we still haven’t landed an actual corner and I think Conyer ultimately ends up at nickel. At this point Gibson and Matthews are guys we absolutely can’t miss on. We need to cut them whatever size deal they want to get them on board

I would be fine with some CBS in the portal. At least I hope that’s what they are thinking.

I would be fine with some CBS in the portal. At least I hope that’s what they are thinking.

The lack of urgency and priority for truer CB types other than seeking a position on their boards makes me wonder if this staff believes they have similar talent level to low 4 and high 3 prospects in this class already on the roster. There are a heap of them on our official roster and they all say DB not CB or S. I think I counted 25 of them.

Could we have a couple of late bloomers who have maxed out strength and speed training? Could facing a billion passes by our offense in our scrimmages have turned the lights on for some physically competent guys? Could the second year in the system made the reads and reactions on the outside more instinctive and displayed some guys actually have the hips and burst?

If any of these are in play, not bringing in additional physically comparable inexperienced guys and going the portal route if some real experienced fits are out there makes a lot of sense. Pretty sure this staff has a plan that might also include strategic use of NIL funds late for some CBs . No use competing in that market till closer to ESD.

VN Store

Back