'21 GA RB Cody Brown

What I found last week was about 4.57 to 4.59 at the NFL combine.
NFL Network didn't release an official time for the three-time Super Bowl champion and NFL Hall of Famer, who is nearly two decades removed from his playing days. He did run an official 4.71 prior to his rookie season in the NFL, reportedly.

Reactions: Kristy*
The article I read stated subpar 4.6 which was from a source directly involved or having a conversation with an NFL exec involved with managing the NFL combine. It’s out there, I found it in about 5 minutes last week. Watching Rice play it is obvious he was better than 4.71 in the 40 regardless of the rumors being reported over the years.

Edit:Found it again.
Per Bill Walsh 4.59
Per Gil Brandit no better than 4.55 and they tested him 9 times in the 40.
The article states the 4.71 had always been incorrect and falsely reported as the truth over the years.
Some reports in 1984 even have Rice @ 4.45 but it was not confirmed and thought to be an exaggeration.

Last edited:
The article I read stated subpar 4.6 which was from a source directly involved or having a conversation with an NFL exec involved with managing the NFL combine. It’s out there, I found it in about 5 minutes last week. Watching Rice play it is obvious he was better than 4.71 in the 40 regardless of the rumors being reported over the years.
I don’t know when they started the laser timing, but in 85 and prior seasons, you had wild variations. Supposedly there was a 4.4 registered by Rice but also a 4.71...nothing concrete. Worked against Bo Jackson also who REPORTEDLY was timed at 4.1. The article you read was speculative. Rice most likely ran in shorts around 4.6. On the field hardly anybody ever tracked him down.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I don’t know when they started the laser timing, but in 85 and prior seasons, you had wild variations. Supposedly there was a 4.4 registered by Rice but also a 4.71...nothing concrete. Worked against Bo Jackson also who REPORTEDLY was timed at 4.1. The article you read was speculative. Rice most likely ran in shorts around 4.6. On the field hardly anybody ever tracked him down.
The article also states that Rice early on stated he did not know how to properly run a 40 so that may explain some slow times at one point.

Reactions: ShreveportVol
The article also states that Rice early on stated he did not know how to properly run a 40 so that may explain some slow times at one point.
Same with Terrell Owens. I’m a Chattanooga native, so I eagerly awaited his 40 results...ran a 4.7. He was laser timed a couple of years ago at 4.3. Was explosive in college and the pros. Point is 40 times are tiebreakers between two similarly rated FOOTBALL prospects. Great players are always fast enough.

An SEC running back has to be able to out run an SEC DE. From this kid's highlights, it didn't seem like he had that quick of a burst and 4.69 isn't blazing by an means. Just seems to be a strong athlete who can break high school defenders' tackles. I hope I am wrong but I am not sure he will be the superstar we are all hoping for.
Go Vols!

An SEC running back has to be able to out run an SEC DE. From this kid's highlights, it didn't seem like he had that quick of a burst and 4.69 isn't blazing by an means. Just seems to be a strong athlete who can break high school defenders' tackles. I hope I am wrong but I am not sure he will be the superstar we are all hoping for.
Go Vols!
Lol

Go Vols!
Zack Moss ran a 40 time of 4.65 at the NFL Combine as a 22 year old at 5-10, 222 lbs. If Cody Brown ran a 4.69 as a 16-17 year old at 6-0, 230 lbs, and he has a career somewhere in the neighborhood of Moss's career at Utah, I think we'll be just fine with his lack of breakaway speed.

Moss career #s:
712 carries
4067 yards
38 TDs
66 receptions
685 yards
3 TDs

Go Vols!

Seriously, did you even watch his highlights? In the first 3 clips, he not only outruns the front 7 but the secondary as well. He has the ability to break tackles, gain yards after contact, and hit the homerun. 40 times are not the be-all and end-all. Brown is a complete back that can definitely be a superstar here.

Seriously, did you even watch his highlights? In the first 3 clips, he not only outruns the front 7 but the secondary as well. He has the ability to break tackles, gain yards after contact, and hit the homerun. 40 times are not the be-all and end-all. Brown is a complete back that can definitely be a superstar here.
I can answer this one for you simply. No. No he didn’t. Hahahahaha

Here is a clip of him against my team last season. He runs by the DE, who is now at Stanford, runs through a 4* safety that is at Florida and out runs our corner who was a 3* and a great track athlete that is at JUCO.

I was just going to ask if anyone had watched him against Marietta's awesome team last year.

VN Store

Back