'21 GA RB Cody Brown

This dudes a beast. We’re gonna be the biggest most physical team in the SEC here pretty soon and will be punishing people. I can’t wait!

Alabama has been the biggest, most physical team in the conference/country for a long time. It’s our turn now.

It's easier to over value speed than power and balance when evaluating prospects. Speed sticks out more on film and is much more exciting.
I think it's just how the game has changed, the next step beyond killing off Fullbacks. Even 10 or 15 years ago, yeah he's probably a 5*. Now it's all about speed, open field, and catching the ball. Bruisers just don't have the value they once did, which is why Henry is basically an anomaly at this point and guys like AK are getting PAID and may have an even longer career.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
I think it's just how the game has changed, the next step beyond killing off Fullbacks. Even 10 or 15 years ago, yeah he's probably a 5*. Now it's all about speed, open field, and catching the ball. Bruisers just don't have the value they once did, which is why Henry is basically an anomaly at this point and guys like AK are getting PAID and may have an even longer career.
Very astute observation, sir.

College football is much different than the NFL game mainly because of the quarterback position and what they can and are asked to do. It's my belief that down and distance is more important in college than the NFL. A more steady/consistent running back is more valued in college than in the NFL because they are going to get the ball a lot more. Very few college teams throw like they do in the NFL. Durability is also not as much of a concern for ranking recruits because you are comparing 3 or 4 years of college ball to a 6 year contract after a rookie contract for NFL.

I agree with everything you are saying about the NFL RB.

College football is much different than the NFL game mainly because of the quarterback position and what they can and are asked to do. It's my belief that down and distance is more important in college than the NFL. A more steady/consistent running back is more valued in college than in the NFL because they are going to get the ball a lot more. Very few college teams throw like they do in the NFL. Durability is also not as much of a concern for ranking recruits because you are comparing 3 or 4 years of college ball to a 6 year contract after a rookie contract for NFL.

I agree with everything you are saying about the NFL RB.
You may very well be correct, it's just that industry rankings are based on how a kid ultimately projects into the draft/NFL. Just another reason we have to keep them in their proper context and trust/hope in evals. Big RBs don't have the value in college they once did, same as fullbacks, but I think you're right the dropoff in value has been less drastic than in the NFL.

Reactions: VolInDayton
You may very well be correct, it's just that industry rankings are based on how a kid ultimately projects into the draft/NFL. Just another reason we have to keep them in their proper context and trust/hope in evals. Big RBs don't have the value in college they once did, same as fullbacks, but I think you're right the dropoff in value has been less drastic than in the NFL.
i think the devaluing of big backs in college is more due to a shift in more spread formations and getting guys in to space vs. just trying to out physical the oppoent up front. it's still a factor for programs that still run thru big o lines, don't 'get me wrong....but overall, there's a shift to the more elusive, fast/quick guys vs. Jamal Lewis types.

and in the NFL, i think it has more to do with how exotic defenses have become with so many in these hybrid 3-4's, you're seeing front 7's that have a lot more speed.....so quick passing game matters in the NFL. stretching a defense matters. basically, you need to be fast/quick on offense, because defenses just don't allow you the time to do much else.

of course, i do think down and distance matters, but...as i watched the steeler game last night, there were several instances where the steelers tried that 1st down run, no gain, and found themselves in those 3rd and 8+, and still were able to convert 1st downs....because of how the passing game operates.

so unless you can get rush the passer.....i tend to agree, down and distance matters a lot more in college than the NFL....though im sure coaches will tell you the opposite. they all want 2nd and 4 or better. :)

jmo.

i think the devaluing of big backs in college is more due to a shift in more spread formations and getting guys in to space vs. just trying to out physical the oppoent up front. it's still a factor for programs that still run thru big o lines, don't 'get me wrong....but overall, there's a shift to the more elusive, fast/quick guys vs. Jamal Lewis types.

and in the NFL, i think it has more to do with how exotic defenses have become with so many in these hybrid 3-4's, you're seeing front 7's that have a lot more speed.....so quick passing game matters in the NFL. stretching a defense matters. basically, you need to be fast/quick on offense, because defenses just don't allow you the time to do much else.

of course, i do think down and distance matters, but...as i watched the steeler game last night, there were several instances where the steelers tried that 1st down run, no gain, and found themselves in those 3rd and 8+, and still were able to convert 1st downs....because of how the passing game operates.

so unless you can get rush the passer.....i tend to agree, down and distance matters a lot more in college than the NFL....though im sure coaches will tell you the opposite. they all want 2nd and 4 or better. :)

jmo.

Jamal Lewis ran a 4.3 at one time.

Reactions: BondJamesBond

VN Store

Back