'24 GA QB Jake Merklinger (Tennessee)

I wasn't saying it's impossible to sign a top qb recruit every cycle, just that it's potentially expensive and still doesn't guarantee depth, because of the transfer portal. Sorry if it seemed like I was saying UT can't or shouldn't sign Merklinger because that wasn't my intent. I was adding to allvolrecruiting's point about signing elite qb's every year and saying that I think it's an increasingly hard position to stack talent three deep or even have a reasonably seasoned backup.

As for Georgia, I'd rather they'd signed one in the 23 class, but I'm not privy to their information or reasoning. Maybe they'd have gone harder after a lower rated guy if they expect multiple transfers this spring, or maybe they figure the portal is a better option. Roster management has been handled well so far, but college coaches all acknowledge that the portal is a constant threat to their depth chart.
“Potentially expensive” to whom? NIL stuff isn’t AD money. Stacking quarterbacks like Bama, tOSU and (recently) UGA has never been realistic for the norm, but signing the best available face of the program signalcaller each year is perfectly so.

Last edited:
4-star QB Jake Merklinger
The buzz: Jake Merklinger may be closing in on a decision. It looks like he could make one before he takes official visits. He has trips to Georgia, Michigan State, North Carolinaand Tennessee coming in March. He is working to get one scheduled with Virginia Tech as well. Those are the schools he is focused on heading into March. North Carolina and Tennessee may be in the best position heading into these visits. These trips will play a big role in his decision.

- Simmons

New article from Chad Simmons on Merklinger. He’s now saying UT and Michigan State in drivers seat...

Heading into these visits, Michigan State and Tennessee are in the best position. He has not officially named favorites, and he may not before he makes a decision, but five schools look to be in the mix.

He has the best relationships with coaches in Knoxville and East Lansing. Those two staffs are recruiting him the hardest. Merklinger is familiar with each program. It is a tight battle at the top between the Spartans and the Vols heading into this round of visits.

Since Michigan State offered, they have been consistent. Coach Johnson is key in this recruitment. Since the fall, Tennessee has turned it up a notch. Coach Halzle attended a football game, then Coach Josh Heupel was at one of Merklinger’s basketball games. Coach Heupel talks with Merklinger much more than any other head coach.

Merklinger is closing in on a decision. One could happen in April, but he will take all the time he needs. He is searching for that home away from home, a place he connects with the coaches at, and a program he feels he can win at.

As we enter the month of March, it is Michigan State and Tennessee ahead of Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Lets see if these visits change that or push Merklinger to commit to Mel Tucker or Josh Heupel.

- Simmons

Only reason to go to Mich St over UT is the path to getting on the field is quicker at St (if Nico is who we hope he is).
And he needs to take notes as they poor mouth Sam Leavitt and wonder what they do in the class after him. 🤔 Doubt Heupel and Halzle employ that strategy.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Hard to overstate how big of a deal landing Merklinger would be. We're coming off a year of elite QB play from Hooker that led us to a 11-2 season. If his play last season - including but not limited to his two starts (one of which was against a perennial CFP team in Clemson) - is any indication, we could be poised for another season of elite QB play from Milton. AND THEN we've got Nico, who literally every analyst describes as a generational talent.

So the rub on 2024 is that we're going to have a hard time getting a bigtimer to sign right behind Nico. But looking forward to 2025, we're arguably the leaders for 2 of 247's top 4 QBs in McIntyre and Boley, both of whom are in the Top 45 overall in (obviously very early) 2025 rankings. And that doesn't even consider Madden Iamaleava, Tavien St. Claire, Antwann Hill, Ryan Montgomrey, Michael Tollefson, Deuce Knight, and Devin Sperry - all of whom have already been on campus and are bigtimers in their own right.

So if we can indeed sign Merklinger, who doesn't himself profile as elite but regardless is a consensus Top 10 QB in the country, we are going to be SET on having multiple bigtime if not downright elite QBs on our roster for years to come.

Hard to overstate how big of a deal landing Merklinger would be. We're coming off a year of elite QB play from Hooker that led us to a 11-2 season. If his play last season - including but not limited to his two starts (one of which was against a perennial CFP team in Clemson) - is any indication, we could be poised for another season of elite QB play from Milton. AND THEN we've got Nico, who literally every analyst describes as a generational talent.

So the rub on 2024 is that we're going to have a hard time getting a bigtimer to sign right behind Nico. But looking forward to 2025, we're arguably the leaders for 2 of 247's top 4 QBs in McIntyre and Boley, both of whom are in the Top 45 overall in (obviously very early) 2025 rankings. And that doesn't even consider Madden Iamaleava, Tavien St. Claire, Antwann Hill, Ryan Montgomrey, Michael Tollefson, Deuce Knight, and Devin Sperry - all of whom have already been on campus and are bigtimers in their own right.

So if we can indeed sign Merklinger, who doesn't himself profile as elite but regardless is a consensus Top 10 QB in the country, we are going to be SET on having multiple bigtime if not downright elite QBs on our roster for years to come.

We just need a good QB prospect for 2024.
Merklinger is better than good and I imagine will be close to the elite status that you mentioned after the 2023 season.
It's too bad Tayven Jackson wasn't class of 2024 instead of 2022. He's the exact kind of prospect we need for this class.

All QBs know that competition is everywhere. At the same time they know they usually need a 2 year window to show that for the bigger leagues. Not to mention making money in college because of NIL...

We need another T Martin to manning situation.

I actually think they're intentionally taught to hold the ball and let the play develop in front of them. Some of those deep routes take a few extra counts to develop. You take the sacks in exchange for the big plays.

You and I agreeing. We have a very vertical offense. This isn’t the quick west coast style most are used to seeing. As a result, plays take time to develop

You and I agreeing. We have a very vertical offense. This isn’t the quick west coast style most are used to seeing. As a result, plays take time to develop
Believe it or not... I like and appreciate you even when we disagree and go at each other. One, it is fun. Two, iron sharpens iron. Hopefully if I'm just stupid or wrong about something you pounding on me will break through my Kevlar skull.

VN Store

Back