'24 GA QB Jake Merklinger (Tennessee)

Looked up Nicos stats from the game. It was like 13-19 for 180 1 td and 70 yards rushing. He's been one of the few QBs that played well in an all-star game. can't wait for next year. Merk will figure it out by time we need him.
All the more to be even more excited about Nico. These All Star games are difficult for the offensive skill position players because they are using a playbook that they have only known for a week with players that they have only played with for a week.

With all that Nico was very calm, very smooth and was able to put the ball right on dudes. Raiola showed some pieces of that but he is a ways beyond where Nico was at that point and Raiola has been seen as the #1 QB in this class. It shows truly how special Nico is.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Yea there's definitely the exception, but most of those games QB's tend to struggle the majority of the time. I'm sure tit being windy didn't help either.
It's why most of the games are borderline unwatchable. Look at the UA game this year also. Offense needs more than 3 practices to get cooking. Also the play calling is 85% pass.

Not the strongest arm which might be a problem early on with the speed and athleticism in the SEC defensive backfields. Having said that, his highlights(yeah, I know) show that he has touch and throws a catchable ball. Seems to lead his receivers well and again, from the clips, he puts the ball where his guy can get it. Not the most athletic guy, but seemed to be a decent runner when he got flushed from the pocket. Guess my biggest concern is his competition level. While he is from GA, the competition he played against wasn't the greatest. Hope he's a quick study and can be a backup to Nico next year, but I'm not expecting that big a jump as a freshman.

It was reported at practice how strong his arm is and threw it almost 70 yards, which I believe was 2nd of the QB's. He's definitely got a strong arm according to this article.

Another thing: It's really hard to get in a rhythm when you only play 1 drive here or there.

Merklinger had some real fugly passes, but they were mostly on target and the 2nd fumble wasn't really his fault. We've seen Hooker and Milton improve under Halzle, let's see what he can do with Merklinger.

It's why most of the games are borderline unwatchable. Look at the UA game this year also. Offense needs more than 3 practices to get cooking. Also the play calling is 85% pass.

Agreed! Exactly why I can maybe watch a few Quarters of these games, unless the Vols are in on a guy committing. Very vanilla and boring playcalling. Like you said, they don't get long enough to learn the playbooks or learn their teammates speed, habits and tendencies.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Merk is going to be fine. It was great to see him in that type of action and get an invite to the game. There isn’t much that you can take away from these All Star games unless you’re a generational player like Nico where it just solidified what he is.

Is Merk going to be Nico or even challenge Nico? No but he has the tools to become a very good college QB and hopefully he is able to play well when he comes in for Nico and is able to compete with GMac

Yeah he tested second behind Raiola in arm strength at the practices. It was pretty close.
My untrained eye thought is picked up on something odd in his arm motion, not a hitch or anything like that, but something in his follow through I think. But if our coaches are all in I am good. He seemed to be decisive and had a quick release once he saw the window. He had a few really good balls that hit the ground that ended drives that should not have, so like always, stats don't tell all the story.

Reports prior to the game were that he showed plenty of arm strength in practices.
I hadn't followed the practice reports. Truthfully, I didn't even realize that bowl was upcoming or which of our recruits were playing in it. Just went through several of his hudl and other highlight clips Didn't mean to imply that he had a weak arm. Decent arm with accuracy will carry you a long way. Stetson Bennett is recent proof of that.

Our record also improved by 4 wins in Heupel’s first year in the toughest conference in the nation. Nebraska’s record improved by one whole game in year 1 with Matt Rhule as their head coach. They finished bowl ineligible at 5-7 in a far weaker conference. That conference is now getting tougher, and Nebraska, with or without Raiola at QB, will continue to be one of the recruiting runts of the litter in that conference.
You don’t know what their recruiting will be.
They just flipped one of the top QB’s in the country from UGA and that will likely help in recruiting and definitely will win more games.

Playing QB in the All-Star games is an extremely tough deal. You get one week to develop timing, and the playbook is as vanilla as can be. The defense knows it, too. As opposed to the first game of a football season where the QB’s have had half a year (or more) to develop chemistry, learn route concepts, timing, placement, etc. I am not sure what was up last night with footballs or weather, but every QB struggled to throw a spiral. Those guys do way too much training to all collectively not be able to throw a spiral.

You don’t know what their recruiting will be.
They just flipped one of the top QB’s in the country from UGA and that will likely help in recruiting and definitely will win more games.
I know they won’t recruit anywhere close to as well as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, or UCLA.

I know they won’t recruit anywhere close to as well as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, or UCLA.
I you should of told me you were physic 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
I wouldn’t question anyone who knows the future!!😂😂😂😂.

UCLA, for real ?? 🙄
Just so I know you’re real, give me just 3 of the next power ball numbers

I you should of told me you were physic 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
I wouldn’t question anyone who knows the future!!😂😂😂😂.

UCLA, for real ?? 🙄
Just so I know you’re real, give me just 3 of the next power ball numbers
If you think I’ve really moved out on a limb with that prediction, you should stick to other sports.

Idk about a couple of these.

Nebraska has the 6th ranked class in Big Ten this year. Washington the 14th (but they get a pass due to coaching change) and UCLA the 17th best class in the Big Ten.

If Nico honestly felt that way himself, then he has bigger problems than a real QB competition.

It's crazy how people dismiss Merklinger.

People are already talking about GMac taking over for Nico when he leaves.
Merklinger is a Top 15 player in 2024 imo.

You put him on that same Brentwood Academy team that GMac was on and they're probably winning State.
After watch his performance I sincerely doubt that.

Thanks for the back handed compliment.

Specifically, Merklinger seems to be able to read the defense quicker.
Nico ran way too much against Iowa, because he wasn't comfortable with what he was seeing.
Nico ran because the backup OL we had were folding like a deck of cards on some plays. If anything, I think there were times he stayed in the pocket too long.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Nico ran because the backup OL we had were folding like a deck of cards on some plays. If anything, I think there were times he stayed in the pocket too long.
Yeah I mean him saying that is the same thing as saying Hendon ran too much bc he couldn’t read a defense and Milton was much better at reading defenses bc he almost never ran lmao.

VN Store

Back