'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Don’t necessarily need wheels if you can feel pressure and navigate the pocket. We’ve just seen an inability to do that.

Just watched the National Championship game with two QB's who could run, and did run, and picked up much needed first downs, escaped sacks, while I watched our QB literally trip over his own two feet in the backfield countless times and go down without being touched.... soo... It also forces the defense to respect the threat of a run and they have to adjust... From what I've seen on tape Bailey can scoot if needed, so that will help and if Maurer can hit the weight room, he may be okay too. I don't see why putting Hill in a few series and have him throw and run would hurt, making the D have to adjust...

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Just watched the National Championship game with two QB's who could run, and did run, and picked up much needed first downs, escaped sacks, while I watched our QB literally trip over his own two feet in the backfield countless times and go down without being touched.... soo... It also forces the defense to respect the threat of a run and they have to adjust... From what I've seen on tape Bailey can scoot if needed, so that will help and if Maurer can hit the weight room, he may be okay too. I don't see why putting Hill in a few series and have him throw and run would hurt, making the D have to adjust...
Look at Hill’s stats. He’s not this dual threat weapon you’re making him out to be.

That's kind of ridiculous to say. I like HB a lot and I really hope he's QB1 this year, but saying he's our best chance is just dumb. Every QB on the roster (sans HB) is going into their second season ever with the same OC. Every one of them should improve. Is HB going to walk on the field and be immediately better than year 2 Maurer? Maybe, but also doubtful. He's the most physically gifted by far, but TL didnt even win the Clemson job right away and he was the best QB prospect in 10 years.

Allow me to clarify. I intended to convey the hope that CJP will start HB becuase (or for the reason that) he has demonstrated he is the best option. In other words, I hope he starts because he proves that he is significantly better than JG. It was not a prediction or evaluation.

oh, we do? well, that's great.
giphy.gif
After 4 years in the program, Yes a thousand times over.

he's a pocket passer than can move around when needed. i think his best game at MD was that game against TX a few years ago....slung it around pretty well iirc.
I remember it well. Embarrassing start to the Herman era. Like you said, he can leg out some yards when receivers are covered, but he’s not some explosive athlete you implement designed runs for.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I remember it well. Embarrassing start to the Herman era. Like you said, he can leg out some yards when receivers are covered, but he’s not some explosive athlete you implement designed runs for.
That was also before 2 ACL tears. Hopefully he’s able to recover fully from those.

Reactions: butchna
JG appears so slow bc he has no feel for the pocket or pressure, so when he tries to escape it is at the worst time and in the worst spot. Lawerence and Burrow aren’t crazy quick, but they know when to float behind the LOS and when to take off and how to get away. We don’t need a Dobbs or a Russell Wilson.

Allow me to clarify. I intended to convey the hope that CJP will start HB becuase (or for the reason that) he has demonstrated he is the best option. In other words, I hope he starts because he proves that he is significantly better than JG. It was not a prediction or evaluation.

Totally. In a perfect world, HB is far and away the best QB option from day 1. He's physically the biggest and strongest QB on the team already, and from the games I'v watched he actually goes through a progression. So it's not a stretch that it could play out that way. I just don't want to *expect* it to happen that way in case there's a sharp learning curve and he ends up needing time to get up to speed.

Trotting out JG as QB1 in Norman would demoralize this fan base.

Totally. In a perfect world, HB is far and away the best QB option from day 1. He's physically the biggest and strongest QB on the team already, and from the games I'v watched he actually goes through a progression. So it's not a stretch that it could play out that way. I just don't want to *expect* it to happen that way in case there's a sharp learning curve and he ends up needing time to get up to speed.

Hat tip, Mr. Dirté

Reactions: Joe Dirt
Can't tell if serious. Bryant was worse than JG this season. Clemson inflated him.

And yet, even with the lack of talent at Mizzou, Bryant still put up better numbers than JG this season. Higher completion percentage, fewer interceptions per attempt, more passing yards, 4 times as many rushing yards.

Yes, Clemson inflated him. But Bryant was still successful there. And TL was able to win the job fairly quickly. We don't have a proven successful QB here. So it's not unthinkable that a talented true freshman could compete for and potentially win the starting job sometime this year. And he wouldn't even have to be a TL type talent for that to happen.

And yet, even with the lack of talent at Mizzou, Bryant still put up better numbers than JG this season. Higher completion percentage, fewer interceptions per attempt, more passing yards, 4 times as many rushing yards.

Yes, Clemson inflated him. But Bryant was still successful there. And TL was able to win the job fairly quickly. We don't have a proven successful QB here. So it's not unthinkable that a talented true freshman could compete for and potentially win the starting job sometime this year. And he wouldn't even have to be a TL type talent for that to happen.
We can breakown individual categories all day, but the 1 inclusive stat is qbr and JG's was higher, 143 vs 136.

Fwiw Bryant only had more yards (barely) because he had more pass attempts. JG actually gained almost a full yard more per attempt!

This isn't all to say JG is materially better than KB. Not arguing that. But the OP was saying the 2 were nowhere close, when clearly they are, once you take KB out of Clemson. That is like saying all Bama QBs have been great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleegro
Can breakown individual categories all day, but the 1 inclusive stat is qbr and JG's was higher, 143 vs 136.

Fwiw Bryant only had more yards (barely) because he had more pass attempts. JG actually gained almost a full yard more per attempt!

This isn't all to say JG is materially better than KB. But the OP was saying the 2 were nowhere close, when clearly they are, once you take KB out of Clemson. That is like saying all Bama QBs have been great.
No 1 stat for Qb is points scored and with JG at Qb the results were not good. What was his Qbr in the red zone? I bet it is abysmal.

Reactions: mccrackb
If I recall correctly, it was something like this.

Sucked
Sucked
Sucked
Chaney did some magic.
Accurate post is accurate. How people feel about jg doesn't come close to how I felt about crompton. Then chaney made me realize that I probably shouldn't write off college kids til there done.

I agree, not trying to bash JG but how can we expect improvement next year when he hasn't improved at all in 3 years

VN Store

Back