'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

ugh. JG is someone i would have found it easy to root for. and in some ways i still do. i hate how this season went for him at times, but man...................he sure does make it hard on himself.

anyway....Maurer has all the intangibles. he needs to really use this off season to his benefit.
He may have the intangibles, but darn it I just never did see the tangibles.

yeah, i think the expectation for him is going to be thru the roof for the fans.

I think so too. Luckily JG has not set the bar very high. Folks will naturally compare the two and with JG fresh on our minds we should be able to appreciate HB even if he starts out fairly average. JG is just difficult to watch.

Reactions: RockyTop140
He may have the intangibles, but darn it I just never did see the tangibles.
Wasn’t really given a chance at all this year. Wasn’t ready early on, then got the start vs Georgia and was outstanding in the first half.....wanna see his tangibles, go back and watch the first half vs Georgia. UGA made adjustments the second half and of course, Maurer was knocked out of the game with his first concussion.

Then the injuries/concussions came and it obviously set the kid, a true freshman, back. Got the start vs Kentucky, got off to a slow start after not playing for a month and coming off his second concussion, and even though he was finding some rhythm and moving the ball in the 2nd quarter, got yanked for some reason for the second half.

So, Pruitt’s obsession with only playing Guarantano despite absolutely sucking about 70% of the season, kept Maurer (and Shrout) from getting much needed game reps for their development.

All that said, I pray to God that Bailey is the second coming of Joe Montana and makes it impossible for Pruitt to stick with Guarantano/not play Bailey from the spring game onward....I know the odds are strongly against that happening but I’ll pray nonetheless. If Maurer and Shrout just aren’t gonna get an honest shot, I sure hope that Bailey is virtually infallible so that Pruitt has no choice but to play him ahead of his beloved Guarantano.

Reactions: tnvols72
Agreed, I was thinking about the potential for Maurer to have an improved sophomore season but got distracted thinking about JG's bowl performance. smh... 15.5 QBR
18-31 for 221. Not terrible. 2 INTs and 0 TDs was bad though.

He still finished 2nd in the SEC in YPA and 3rd in QBR.

Maybe he'll never break through the way we'd like, but yet he is still better than most.

2nd year under the same OC...EVER...should help. Senior breakthroughs are real (Crompton) so I'll always leave the window open.

Reactions: WarMachine
18-31 for 221. Not terrible. 2 INTs and 0 TDs was bad though.

He still finished 2nd in the SEC in YPA and 3rd in QBR.

Maybe he'll never break through the way we'd like, but yet he is still better than most.

2nd year under the same OC...EVER...should help. Senior breakthroughs are real (Crompton) so I'll always leave the window open.
Not terrible? He totally sucked till the last two drives...especially in the red zone...he was awful. If he was just marginally better we would have won by 3 TDs..

HB is gonna be our qb. If he can just manage the game we will win 9-10 games. Oline and rb are very good. Overall defense is good unless major regression wideouts is still up in the air but I think we are in ok hands with Keyton HB combo back at it. Kicking game brings back both starters also. Schedule is kinda tough but Sooners lost a lot and the poor puppys down south lost so much and I love it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Kid has all the acumen, accolades, accomplishments, and playing history at a power school in a power conference and state.

If history is any indication according to recent Georgia high school football and QB's, we hopefully have our Lawrence or Fields and the comparison is valid.

The eyes of Tennessee are on you kid, sorry about the immense pressure we are going to put on you, hopefully you eat it up and thrive.

Should be an exciting year. Now, we wait and speculate and wait for spring ball.

Reactions: feathersax
I will be surprised if JG isnt the starter this year. Pruitt has shown he has an unexplained loyalty to him. JMO and hope I'm very wrong.
I disagree on the “unexplained loyalty.” Pretty obvious (and terribly sad) that JG did in fact give us the best chance to win games these last 2 years. It was the correct coaching decision, but really all he had. Won’t be the case with an EE Bailey and 2nd year Hill/Maurer/Shrout.

I disagree on the “unexplained loyalty.” Pretty obvious (and terribly sad) that JG did in fact give us the best chance to win games these last 2 years. It was the correct coaching decision, but really all he had. Won’t be the case with an EE Bailey and 2nd year Hill/Maurer/Shrout.

Exactly this...I don't know why more people don't understand this. Pruitt wants to win and would not trot JG out there if he didn't truly believe he gave us the best chance. He tried Shrout and Maurer so it's not like he didn't recognize JG had serious consistency issues but they did as well and didn't know the offense and checks as well as JG. Let's hope HB takes the reigns from day one and leaves no doubt who is the best QB on the team.

Exactly this...I don't know why more people don't understand this. Pruitt wants to win and would not trot JG out there if he didn't truly believe he gave us the best chance. He tried Shrout and Maurer so it's not like he didn't recognize JG had serious consistency issues but they did as well and didn't know the offense and checks as well as JG. Let's hope HB takes the reigns from day one and leaves no doubt who is the best QB on the team.
Hopefully Bailey is an elite QB and one of the unusually gifted players able to adapt quickly to the system. I will be pumped if CJP hands him the ball because HE is the best chance to win.

does it really matter which qb does it, so long as one of them does it?

Hopefully Bailey is an elite QB and one of the unusually gifted players able to adapt quickly to the system. I will be pumped if CJP hands him the ball because HE is the best chance to win.
Yep. should be the only reason it happens.

with the way the QB room is constructed right now, i do believe there's going to be a legit competition for the job. so i'm going to say that whoever gets it, will likely have earned it.

If HB can go through his progressions then he is day 1 starter. JG knew who he was throwing the ball to before the ball was ever snapped. It did not matter if he was doubled or tripled covered.

Reactions: Smokeytom
If HB can go through his progressions then he is day 1 starter. JG knew who he was throwing the ball to before the ball was ever snapped. It did not matter if he was doubled or tripled covered.
That is literally all it will take. If he’s a stud passer and yet doesn’t know when to switch the run, coaches would be stupid to not just call audibles from the sideline when necessary in order to get HB on the field.

Reactions: tnvols72

VN Store

Back