'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Nathan Peterman.

And go! Make BS excuses for that one.
I was not talking about Nathan Peterman, I was talking about Brian Maurer, and disputing the idea that his performance is all due to Chaney being a quarterback savant. I think Chaney is a good OC, but if he had the power to make a scrub like some you guys apparently think Maurer was into someone who could throw for 250+ yards against the No. 3 team in the country on his first start, then how the hell do you explain JG? I've explained it repeatedly as saying apparently Maurer is pretty good, but JG must practice like an All-American.

Let’s get back to Bailey. So is he still committed?
Sounds like we're fine from OLB. He's been right on everything Marietta related so I'm not ready to panic.

I think it's pretty simple honestly. I think the staff can absolutely sell this team is undefeated rolling into the Florida game IF they had a QB this season. Hell they have a chance in that Florida game.

Do you even know what a blown coverage is? It's where the defense doesn't account for a receiver. Calloway had a corner and a safety on him but he outran the corner and made a great move on the safety causing him to jump inside and then lost several steps. Chaney, Calloway, Maurer and the OL get full credit there.
Interesting breakdown of this play from the x's and I'd guy on the UGA 247 site, LeCounte's the safety:

"There's a lot to unpack here. I'm not quite certain what the coverage is, but it's one of two things. It's either man coverage across the board with two deep safeties or it's man coverage to the field side and Cover 2 to the boundary, which is pretty common. If it's man coverage across the board, D.J. Daniel got his eyes in the backfield, bit on the play action, and it's a complete mental lapse.

I lean more toward it being Cover 2 to the boundary for a couple of reasons...

1) Monty Rice and Tae Crowder don't add on to the rush when they read max protection. Tennessee goes with a seven-man protection here, so if it was man coverage, those two should have done what they've gone a great job of doing all season and increased UGA's pass-rush numbers by coming on the delay. It's possible that they read it wrong, thought.

2) Crowder's technique. Standard Cover 2 has the cornerback in outside leverage so he can funnel his guy to the boundary, but this isn't standard Cover 2. You tend to switch the leverages up when it's just to one side and Daniel's eyes are in the backfield from the jump. Not to mention he has Monty Rice dropping underneath one he reads pass.

Assuming it's No.2, you've got to give Jim Chaney a ton of credit for this call and the timing of it. Not sure if he knew they would get this coverage or not, but it's a pick-your-poison play. Looking at LeCounte, Marquez Callway runs the dig like it appears and he doesn't break on it, it's going to be an explosive play over the middle of the field. Since it's a dig-and-go, and LeCounte breaks on it, it turns into a 73-yard touchdown. I've coached defensive backs and while you'd like to see LeCounte be a little more patient here, I'm not airing him out over it. He's in a serious bind on this play."

Interesting breakdown of this play from the x's and I'd guy on the UGA 247 site, LeCounte's the safety:

"There's a lot to unpack here. I'm not quite certain what the coverage is, but it's one of two things. It's either man coverage across the board with two deep safeties or it's man coverage to the field side and Cover 2 to the boundary, which is pretty common. If it's man coverage across the board, D.J. Daniel got his eyes in the backfield, bit on the play action, and it's a complete mental lapse.

I lean more toward it being Cover 2 to the boundary for a couple of reasons...

1) Monty Rice and Tae Crowder don't add on to the rush when they read max protection. Tennessee goes with a seven-man protection here, so if it was man coverage, those two should have done what they've gone a great job of doing all season and increased UGA's pass-rush numbers by coming on the delay. It's possible that they read it wrong, thought.

2) Crowder's technique. Standard Cover 2 has the cornerback in outside leverage so he can funnel his guy to the boundary, but this isn't standard Cover 2. You tend to switch the leverages up when it's just to one side and Daniel's eyes are in the backfield from the jump. Not to mention he has Monty Rice dropping underneath one he reads pass.

Assuming it's No.2, you've got to give Jim Chaney a ton of credit for this call and the timing of it. Not sure if he knew they would get this coverage or not, but it's a pick-your-poison play. Looking at LeCounte, Marquez Callway runs the dig like it appears and he doesn't break on it, it's going to be an explosive play over the middle of the field. Since it's a dig-and-go, and LeCounte breaks on it, it turns into a 73-yard touchdown. I've coached defensive backs and while you'd like to see LeCounte be a little more patient here, I'm not airing him out over it. He's in a serious bind on this play."

TLDR: Great play call by Chaney, great route by MC and great read by BM. TD.

TLDR: Great play call by Chaney, great route by MC and great read by BM. TD.
Keep hearing how easy a throw that was by Maurer. It’s not the first time we’ve had open receivers...they usually get over or underthrown. So hitting him in stride was impressive in scale.

Keep hearing how easy a throw that was by Maurer. It’s not the first time we’ve had open receivers...they usually get over or underthrown. So hitting him in stride was impressive in scale.
Yep, it’s funny because everyone kept complaining about how wide open receivers have been all year but couldn’t get the ball to them. But Fromm hasn’t skipped a beat....

Yep, it’s funny because everyone kept complaining about how wide open receivers have been all year but couldn’t get the ball to them.

It was refreshing to see him hit in stride for sure. It really was night and day in that first quarter/half as far as QB play. Really hope he is able to consistently hit that level and not have many prolonged Peterman episodes. Would increase the rest of season confidence level exponentially for me.

It’s always the same stuff over and over and over and over again. I’ve been on VN and following recruiting closely since Kiffin. And whenever a new coach is hired, and all off-season in between, there’s always talk of how bad we’re going to be, how long the rebuild is gonna take, how we won’t be able to compete with Georgia and Florida and Alabama for a few more years… And then when it actually happens during the season people lose their minds and freak out.
Worst groundhog day ever

It’s always the same stuff over and over and over and over again. I’ve been on VN and following recruiting closely since Kiffin. And whenever a new coach is hired, and all off-season in between, there’s always talk of how bad we’re going to be, how long the rebuild is gonna take, how we won’t be able to compete with Georgia and Florida and Alabama for a few more years… And then when it actually happens during the season people lose their minds and freak out.

And we have been correct each of those times.

JG cannot and never has made that throw......

JG cannot and never has made that throw......
In stride? I’m sure you’re correct. Been saying the whole season (and it was obvious to many before) that he’s just not good at the THROWING part of quarterbacking...which is pretty durn important.

In stride? I’m sure you’re correct. Been saying the whole season (and it was obvious to many before) that he’s just not good at the THROWING part of quarterbacking...which is pretty durn important.

I've seen JG overthrow that pass a few times....and under throw it many times....and throw it late most of the time.
But I've never seen him hit anyone in stride over 20 yards down the field ever.

JG did make an awesome throw to JJ against UGA across the middle on a RPO when he came in...I'll give him that

wait. he isnt at throwing? he isnt good at leading, audibling, checking down, or seeing field...hes best at throwing.

which isnt saying much

wait. he isnt at throwing? he isnt good at leading, audibling, checking down, or seeing field...hes best at throwing.

which isnt saying much
I’m talking most basic. Bray wasn’t great in those areas you just mentioned.

So many points left on the field from receivers coming back to the ball when they had the defender beat, over the last couple of years.

Same plays we watched other teams score on and we ended up tackled at the point of reception.
So frustrating.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back