'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Look at the post I was quoting, the guy was giving Chaney essentially all the credit for Maurer's performance. I don't think that's fair, better blame him for JG's regression then too, which I don't. I was wrong though a couple of weeks ago when I said that I thought if there was a better QB on the roster the coaches, Chaney in particular would be starting him. That faith seems to have been misplaced. Like I said, JG must be insanely good in practice.
I read it and it had absolutely nothing to do with Jake Fromm. You just wanted to take another petty shot at the staff.

Reactions: Pane di mais
I read it and it had absolutely nothing to do with Jake Fromm. You just wanted to take another petty shot at the staff.
Jake Fromm is another quarterback Chaney has coached, Fromm is doing fine without Chaney. JG is another quarterback Chaney has coached, JG got worse under Chaney. Maurer is yet another quarterback Chaney has coached, Maurer looked much better in extended action at home than he did in very limited action in a hostile environment. I don't interpret that data to be that Chaney worked a miracle in two weeks, sorry. (or that he is responsible for Fromm's success or JG's regression). Though I think Saturday did show for those who were complaining about play calling early in the year, and there were some, that it was more about poor quarterback play, the play calling has been fine, i.e. consistent with what we are trying to do offensively, the execution is just often not there.

Last edited:
This is me on Sunday regarding Maurer:

"I think that's underselling what a good first quarter Maurer had. That first touchdown was a blown coverage but Maurer was hella-accurate to start the game. There is no defense against the perfect pass and he was on the money. They figured out they had to get pressure or he would pick them apart and unfortunately we didn't have the OL to stop them, but Maurer was really good, unbelievable really for a freshman making his first start."

My point is I simply do not give Chaney all of the credit for Maurer's performance, or the blame for JG's. JG must be insanely good in practice, otherwise the management of the quarterbacks this year is hard to figure, Chaney's guru status notwithstanding.

Do you even know what a blown coverage is? It's where the defense doesn't account for a receiver. Calloway had a corner and a safety on him but he outran the corner and made a great move on the safety causing him to jump inside and then lost several steps. Chaney, Calloway, Maurer and the OL get full credit there.

Who got him to where he is?
His Mama and Daddy. He was on QB1 as a senior. Chaney was his quarterback coach 1 year at UGA, Fromm was better his second year and appears better his third. I don't think any of that's got a great deal to do with Chaney. Fromm was good before they met and is still good. I think Chaney is a good OC, I just discount the idea that two weeks of work with Maurer turned him from an also ran who couldn't beat JG to what we saw Saturday night. I think the kid's been good, but JG apparently is an All-American in practice, and when Maurer got his shot in front of the home crowd, he made the most of it. To bring this back to Harrison Bailey though, I'm sure he's not scared of the competition, but I don't think it's a shoe in that he beats out Maurer and starts.

Do you even know what a blown coverage is? It's where the defense doesn't account for a receiver. Calloway had a corner and a safety on him but he outran the corner and made a great move on the safety causing him to jump inside and then lost several steps. Chaney, Calloway, Maurer and the OL get full credit there.
This has already been covered, I admitted hours ago that blown coverage was a bad choice of words, keep reading.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
BTW, that was not a blown coverage on the long TD pass: Callaway ran a top-notch route. You don't have to twist a compliment into a backhanded compliment. Try to be at peace with good things happening. Otherwise, Bailey is going to make you miserable.

No. Actually, if you watch, the safety jumped the route expecting Maurer to throw on the first cut. Callaway's route running ability aside, it did not come close to happening again. Now the second TD pass was the impressive one to me.

Reactions: Jtate41
This is me on Sunday regarding Maurer:

"I think that's underselling what a good first quarter Maurer had. That first touchdown was a blown coverage but Maurer was hella-accurate to start the game.

The safety started cheating down and Chaney recognized it. Chaney dialed it up and Callaway routed the db up with a double move. No blown coverage at all on that play that was pure play calling and execution..

The safety started cheating down and Chaney recognized it. Chaney dialed it up and Callaway routed the db up with a double move. No blown coverage at all on that play that was pure play calling and execution..
And Chaney knowing UGA's personnel. LeCounte's a junior, Chaney was more aware than most what might get him out of position, having gone against him 2 years in practice.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Look at the post I was quoting, the guy was giving Chaney essentially all the credit for Maurer's performance. I don't think that's fair, better blame him for JG's regression then too, which I don't. I was wrong though a couple of weeks ago when I said that I thought if there was a better QB on the roster the coaches, Chaney in particular would be starting him. That faith seems to have been misplaced. Like I said, JG must be insanely good in practice, that's the only thing I can figure.
It's crazy how predictable this place becomes
His only chance is a backup QB *probably. Those that just hate him will say "fire him for not playing him sooner" but most will understand the concept of the backups getting better the longer they are taught.

Win some games and argue it wasn't the coaching. Same for recruiting. Don't and that sale becomes way harder.

No, not crazy, sad.
BM is a Freshman and he absolutely wasn't sitting around good enough to start but being held back by the coaches. Saw the O&W game and he was nowhere near ready. His play against UTC and Fl was much improved but still below JG's. He was still taking too many of the wrong shots and it's beyond obvious he worked extremely hard on his decision making the last 2 weeks.

We're finally seeing someone develop and too many of you are in such a hurry to find a negative, you're missing something we haven't seen in a while.

It's crazy how predictable this place becomes

No, not crazy, sad.
BM is a Freshman and he absolutely wasn't sitting around good enough to start but being held back by the coaches. Saw the O&W game and he was nowhere near ready. His play against UTC and Fl was much improved but still below JG's. He was still taking too many of the wrong shots and it's beyond obvious he worked extremely hard on his decision making the last 2 weeks.

We're finally seeing someone develop and too many of you are in such a hurry to find a negative, you're missing something we haven't seen in a while.
And apparently, it's been reported multiple places, that JG practices WAY better than he plays.

Something good happened and now you've literally spent days trying to turn it into something negative. We get it.

You leave FF and run straight to the recruiting thread of a centerpiece of the incoming class, and starting serially posting that HB won't get good coaching here and that he may not be good enough to start here. We get it.

We understand you.

And apparently, it's been reported multiple places, that JG practices WAY better than he plays.
Has to. Even in the scrimmages he looked totally different. I wasn't a huge fan but I never thought he would perform this badly. Even thought he would improve.
It's like the OL giving him time makes him overthink. His best passes against decent teams, have been while getting knocked on his butt. Like he throws better trying to beat the defender than when he tries to "aim".

But not reading the defense and time holding the ball were always issues. Now the aim is off. Oof.

Something good happened and now you've literally spent days trying to turn it into something negative. We get it.

You leave FF and run straight to the recruiting thread of a centerpiece of the incoming class, and starting serially posting that HB won't get good coaching here and that he may not be good enough to start here. We get it.

We understand you.
You're the one tilting at windmills, I haven't made one post saying Chaney will provide HB with poor coaching. I don't think it's a shoe in he beats out Maurer, but that's good problem to have. Maurer played really good Saturday night, especially for a freshman making his first start, against a top 5 team no less. And I've made more posts in the recruiting forum than you have made posts period Cornbread, at least under your current name.

You're the one tilting at windmills, I haven't made one post saying Chaney will provide HB with poor coaching. I don't think it's a shoe in he beats out Maurer, but that's good problem to have. Maurer played really good Saturday night, especially for a freshman making his first start, against a top 5 team no less. And I've made more posts in the recruiting forum than you have made posts period Cornbread, at least under your current name.

so wait, you think HB will get poor coaching from Chaney but a freshman Maurer just played really good for a freshman making his first start against a top5 team...who is his OC?

holy cow. lol at these conversations. i thought BM was the spark we needed to turn the season around, not start a dumpster fire in here.

some of you wouldn't know a good thing if it hit you square in the face...........lol.

Sadly every thread devolves to an argument about the coaching staff

so wait, you think HB will get poor coaching from Chaney but a freshman Maurer just played really good for a freshman making his first start against a top5 team...who is his OC?
I never said anything, at all, nothing at all, implying that HB would get poor coaching from Chaney. That is Cornbread (i.e. Pane de mais)'s straw man he is arguing against. It is made up.

His Mama and Daddy. He was on QB1 as a senior. Chaney was his quarterback coach 1 year at UGA, Fromm was better his second year and appears better his third. I don't think any of that's got a great deal to do with Chaney. Fromm was good before they met and is still good. I think Chaney is a good OC, I just discount the idea that two weeks of work with Maurer turned him from an also ran who couldn't beat JG to what we saw Saturday night. I think the kid's been good, but JG apparently is an All-American in practice, and when Maurer got his shot in front of the home crowd, he made the most of it. To bring this back to Harrison Bailey though, I'm sure he's not scared of the competition, but I don't think it's a shoe in that he beats out Maurer and starts.
Nathan Peterman.

And go! Make BS excuses for that one.

What is this creepy obsession of yours that I am one of the many people who have exposed you here in the past? It's not a special talent. Anyone could do it.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Fromm was a great QB before Chaney so of course he is going to be good. Heck even Guarantano could pass behind that line since his brain would have 10 seconds to process

Sadly every thread devolves to an argument about the coaching staff
It’s always the same stuff over and over and over and over again. I’ve been on VN and following recruiting closely since Kiffin. And whenever a new coach is hired, and all off-season in between, there’s always talk of how bad we’re going to be, how long the rebuild is gonna take, how we won’t be able to compete with Georgia and Florida and Alabama for a few more years… And then when it actually happens during the season people lose their minds and freak out.

VN Store

Back