'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

We don't know how good JG will be yet, imo, but he has been above average despite different schemes every year and a historically bad OL. He clearly beat out everyone else we had on our roster. He was what, 5th in the SEC in QB rating despite those issues? So yea - he clearly has stuff to work on and he isn't Johnny Manziel. He's probably our starter this year again and if he improves any, might be hard to supplant even for HB. Of course, he may have a chance to go pro if he has a good year this year, so we'll see how it works out. I don't understand bashing him, though. He's played solidly and may end up actually being a top SEC QB in the next couple years.

JG has all the tools except decision making. Hopefully he improves in that area the most

Reactions: OLB19_76
We don't know how good JG will be yet, imo, but he has been above average despite different schemes every year and a historically bad OL. He clearly beat out everyone else we had on our roster. He was what, 5th in the SEC in QB rating despite those issues? So yea - he clearly has stuff to work on and he isn't Johnny Manziel. He's probably our starter this year again and if he improves any, might be hard to supplant even for HB. Of course, he may have a chance to go pro if he has a good year this year, so we'll see how it works out. I don't understand bashing him, though. He's played solidly and may end up actually being a top SEC QB in the WAC in next couple years.

fyp

Reactions: Vols4us
Bailey becoming a Vol is a big deal. Legitimate big time talent.

So how does JG being good or bad matter - especially in this thread? There are two others besides JG who will get a chance to prove themselves as well this season. CJP has been really clear - it's about winning. Whoever gives them the best chance to win will play. Trust Chaney...

So, one of the worst defenses statistically in Tennessee history was the reason for Tennessee's bad record in 2012 but one of the worst offensive lines statistically in program history was not the reason for Tennessee's bad record in 2018. Got it. The JG defenders are not the ones with an agenda. That much is clear.

And to that point, JG actually finished with respectable stats and rankings despite how historically bad his O-line was.

The argument that I find the most amusing from the JG haters is that they would point out that he only dink and dunked the ball to get his Good completion %, but then want to turn around and say that he completed a lot of Jump Balls only because our receivers were able to go up and get them. Realists have statistics to back up JG's good play, the other side only points to the 5-7 record and ignores one of the worst O-Lines in program history when placing blame for last year. Without JG we don't win the Auburn game for sure and prob not the Kentucky game.
I’m not sure if this was directed at me, bc I made no mention of JG or this years record - but I agree.

JG isn’t perfect but gets more criticism than he should considering the product around him.

Helton did a fine job with JG. Helton is a good QB just raw as a play caller. JG is good but he needs people around him to make him better instead of the great QBs that increase the level of those around them

This might be the definitive description of JG. Well done. Since I couldn't do any better I'm done talking JG till spring practice.

Reactions: Catbone
Helton did a fine job with JG. Helton is a good QB just raw as a play caller. JG is good but he needs people around him to make him better instead of the great QBs that increase the level of those around them
I 100% agree with you on JG. Dude can make all the throws, but he isn't going to put the team on his back.

I sure hope Chaney/Weinke can get JG moving his feet in the pocket this year. Hell, dare I say, maybe even see JG get out of the pocket? lol

I think Helton is a good coach. I didn't blame him for much this year. I was definitely in the "tell me what OC could do something with this OL" fanclub.

That's who I meant but apparently wrote Chaney. Must have been mid poop
I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to assume. If he can do that in one year with Crompton, I'm excited to see what JG looks like next season. A lot of his haters might have to eat some crow!

If he hadn't been a senior I bet he would have started, I do believe that.
Newt usually I like and agree with what you have to say but not this time, JG is clearly superior to KC in every facet except anticipating throws, you can't really blame him for the sacks because there was no pocket to feel pressure in on 80% of his throws, he has better arm strength and accuracy and given all spring and summer to work with Chaney I guarantee he improves a lot whereas KC was pretty much at his ceiling and that wasn't saying much

Newt usually I like and agree with what you have to say but not this time, JG is clearly superior to KC in every facet except anticipating throws, you can't really blame him for the sacks because there was no pocket to feel pressure in on 80% of his throws, he has better arm strength and accuracy and given all spring and summer to work with Chaney I guarantee he improves a lot whereas KC was pretty much at his ceiling and that wasn't saying much

We are talking last year, and KC would have been better with such a bad OL. JG has the higher ceiling of course but last year KC would have been the better QB. The staff could not risk JG transferring however as this year we would have been totally screwed so JG got the nod. Like I have said numerous times, if anyone can fix JG, its Chaney.

We are talking last year, and KC would have been better with such a bad OL. JG has the higher ceiling of course but last year KC would have been the better QB. The staff could not risk JG transferring however as this year we would have been totally screwed so JG got the nod. Like I have said numerous times, if anyone can fix JG, its Chaney.
I don't think it was a play to keep JG here I think he started because his deep ball is light years ahead of KC's,but he got the nod because there was a better chance in taking the top off the defense with play action passing with JG, all KC could do was hit shallow slant routes with good anticipation

I don't think it was a play to keep JG here I think he started because his deep ball is light years ahead of KC's,but he got the nod because there was a better chance in taking the top off the defense with play action passing with JG, all KC could do was hit shallow slant routes with good anticipation

JG's deep ball was horrible, 90% of the time it was a jump ball because it stayed in the air longer than Sputnik.

This is just dumb. We saw kC with the same line some last year. We saw him at Stanford. Not as good as JG. Only 45% passing. High turnover rate. Low qb rating.

It is sad that some people are so stubborn or just have such an agenda against their own starting qb.

So CJP cost us games to protect the feelings of a qb you think isn't good anyway? :confused:

JG was better in practice and games. All that saw the practices and also in game performance support that along with the depth chart.

Anyone still pumping some conspiracy abut KC secretly being better is living in fantasyland. lmao

VN Store

Back