'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Lol, I read these posts and they remind me of the ones I've read about JG, QD, JTS, etc, etc. Every next QB recruit is the one who is better than the previous or one on campus. I'm sure in x amount of months the same guys will be saying "insert name here" is the real deal, so amazing, mobile, arm strength. He'll be better than whoever is starting and forgotten will be the QB just signed previously. Is it the rush you feel to be the first to name the next great QB, or is it something else.

I'm happy we have JG, Shrout, Mauer, and if Bailey signs or whoever does. As the years progress, it'll be fun to see who succeeds, hopefully the team will have success as well. I just don't see the need to proclaim each new QB Quicksand Jesus.

Yeah, after watching this cycle since 2013, it's sort of predictable.

Stage 1: "X QB will be one of the greatest QBs in UT history!"
Stage 2: QB gets onto campus and doesn't immediately turn into Peyton Manning in his Freshman year
Stage 3: "X QB" is a "bust", but this new recruit will be the greatest QB in UT history and will challenge [insert starter] immediately

I think both Bailey and Maurer have pretty good potential. I felt like Maurer was a bit underrated by the recruiting services given his breakout Senior year. That said, tough to tell how QBs will pan out most of the time. I'm less optimistic on Shrout, but I hope he proves me wrong. He's got a very strong arm, but it's tougher to teach accuracy and he wasn't very accurate as a high school QB.

Regardless, JG is likely the starter for the next 2 years. He's not Peyton Manning, but I could see him eventually being seen in the UT QB hierarchy somewhere around Erik Ainge. He's very accurate and doesn't make a lot of big mistakes. Needs to make quicker decisions, but also needs an O-line that can protect him for more than a millisecond. If he had Alabama or Georgia's O-line, he would've been considered a top 5 SEC QB. I don't think there's any QB in the nation that would've looked good behind that O-line, though.

If he had Alabama or Georgia's O-line, he would've been considered a top 5 SEC QB. I don't think there's any QB in the nation that would've looked good behind that O-line, though.

PFF put out their rankings the other week and he was 5th. Floated 4th-6th most of the season at QBR. He's already there, at least on the edge. Only question is if he can push into top 3.

Thoroughly agree with rest of your post. Any comparison to TL is just insane. There may be a comparable QB again sometime in the next 10 years. Like, 1 of them. Missed out on Manning 2.0. Sucks but it doesn't mean every top-50 QB has to have such a ridiculous bar. Hoping HB is a good one, but every QB develops at their own pace.

Last edited:
Lol, I read these posts and they remind me of the ones I've read about JG, QD, JTS, etc, etc. Every next QB recruit is the one who is better than the previous or one on campus. I'm sure in x amount of months the same guys will be saying "insert name here" is the real deal, so amazing, mobile, arm strength. He'll be better than whoever is starting and forgotten will be the QB just signed previously. Is it the rush you feel to be the first to name the next great QB, or is it something else.

I'm happy we have JG, Shrout, Mauer, and if Bailey signs or whoever does. As the years progress, it'll be fun to see who succeeds, hopefully the team will have success as well. I just don't see the need to proclaim each new QB Quicksand Jesus.
Quicksand Jesus doesn’t sound very flattering...or mobile.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
I know K-town king posted something like that about Shrout.
*If that's what you're remembering, don't put too much stock into anything.
Doesn't mean it's not true but can't count on that as the only source, for a reason.

I wouldn't put anything that K-Town says when it comes to QB's.. Especially the ones that don't fall under the term "Minority"...Shrout has as much upside and
physical tools of any QB we've had in the 2000's. Doesn't mean he will pan out but the intangibles are there. Bailey is the one I'm most excited about..He's got the potential to be a day 1 type starter.

Yeah, after watching this cycle since 2013, it's sort of predictable.

Stage 1: "X QB will be one of the greatest QBs in UT history!"
Stage 2: QB gets onto campus and doesn't immediately turn into Peyton Manning in his Freshman year
Stage 3: "X QB" is a "bust", but this new recruit will be the greatest QB in UT history and will challenge [insert starter] immediately

I think both Bailey and Maurer have pretty good potential. I felt like Maurer was a bit underrated by the recruiting services given his breakout Senior year. That said, tough to tell how QBs will pan out most of the time. I'm less optimistic on Shrout, but I hope he proves me wrong. He's got a very strong arm, but it's tougher to teach accuracy and he wasn't very accurate as a high school QB.

Regardless, JG is likely the starter for the next 2 years. He's not Peyton Manning, but I could see him eventually being seen in the UT QB hierarchy somewhere around Erik Ainge. He's very accurate and doesn't make a lot of big mistakes. Needs to make quicker decisions, but also needs an O-line that can protect him for more than a millisecond. If he had Alabama or Georgia's O-line, he would've been considered a top 5 SEC QB. I don't think there's any QB in the nation that would've looked good behind that O-line, though.

I'm not sure JG is the starter his last 2 years. He was starter by default last season. Looking at SEC QB's last season JG wouldn't have started of most SEC teams starter's last year. Not at Ala over Tua nor Hurts, Not at Auburn over Stidham, Not at Mizzou over Locke, not at Miss St over Fitzgerald, not at S.Car over Bentley, not at A'M over Mond, not at Ga over Fromm,not at Vandy over Shurmur, not at Ole Miss over Ta'amu or at Fla over Frank's and not at LSU over Burrows.. He would have beaten out UK's and Arky's starting QB's. JG just never had anyone push him for the starting job this year.

Just think, last year JP tried to get E.Carolina's QB transfer Minshew, who ended up putting huge number's at Wash St last season to transfer to TN. JG wouldn't have beaten him out had he ended up in Knoxville. JG will benefit having a RS FR and True FR competing with him for the job this year. But ask Eason, Hurts,Kelly Bryant how secure a QB's starting job is. No matter who starts this year, I hope there is actual competition and they all push each other to get better. But don't sleep on Shrout! But 2020 with JG,Shrout,Maurer and Bailey will be fun to follow. JG knew his job was never in jeopardy last season. But JP liked Shrout just as much as Helton did, don't buy what K-Town is spewing..He has no clue unless it's JG related.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
I'm not sure JG is the starter his last 2 years. He was starter by default last season. Looking at SEC QB's last season JG wouldn't have started of most SEC teams starter's last year. Not at Ala over Tua nor Hurts, Not at Auburn over Stidham, Not at Mizzou over Locke, not at Miss St over Fitzgerald, not at S.Car over Bentley, not at A'M over Mond, not at Ga over Fromm,not at Vandy over Shurmur, not at Ole Miss over Ta'amu or at Fla over Frank's and not at LSU over Burrows.. He would have beaten out UK's and Arky's starting QB's. JG just never had anyone push him for the starting job this year.

Just think, last year JP tried to get E.Carolina's QB transfer Minshew, who ended up putting huge number's at Wash St last season to transfer to TN. JG wouldn't have beaten him out had he ended up in Knoxville. JG will benefit having a RS FR and True FR competing with him for the job this year. But ask Eason, Hurts,Kelly Bryant how secure a QB's starting job is. No matter who starts this year, I hope there is actual competition and they all push each other to get better. But don't sleep on Shrout! But 2020 with JG,Shrout,Maurer and Bailey will be fun to follow. JG knew his job was never in jeopardy last season. But JP liked Shrout just as much as Helton did, don't buy what K-Town is spewing..He has no clue unless it's JG related.

Yet PFF had him rated 5th and his qbr hovered around 5-6 all season...behind the league's worst line!

Or just bury your head in the sand.

Watch Baileys tape , watch how he moves in the pocket, watch how he progresses through the routes. Touch on intermediate routes and arm strength on deep routes. Next Tua ,Trevor Lawrence as far as impact as an underclassman

Watch Baileys tape , watch how he moves in the pocket, watch how he progresses through the routes. Touch on intermediate routes and arm strength on deep routes. Next Tua ,Trevor Lawrence as far as impact as an underclassman
I don't think Tua has a long-term impact. I truly do believe that Lawrence is the next big deal. He will set an unbeatable record as an unbeaten QB in college, and then onto a Peyton like career in the NFL.

Reactions: BennesseeVols

VN Store

Back