'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

I understand most of this board hates JG still and is in love with Bailey, but how often does a true freshmen step on campus and end up lighting the world on fire so to speak? It might do Bailey some good to redshirt and grow under Chaney for a year before throwing him into the furnace, rather than expect him to be Trevor Lawrence on Day 1. That's a lot of pressure for a true freshmen quarterback. It's a handful of special QBs who are good enough to step in on Day 1 and be elite. It's not a slight against Bailey to think he might need some time to acclimate to college before being ready.

I'm fine with JG next year. Maurer was a fan favorite this season strictly because he had the benefit of NOT being JG. Maybe one day this fanbase will stop being so damn hard on a 21-year old kid who has had some ups and downs. I think next year JG could be quite good with a second straight year of Chaney. It will benefit us in the long-run if we don't have to play Bailey next year.
Never has a backup quarterback received so much adulation on such little evidence of competence.

Never has a backup quarterback received so much adulation on such little evidence of competence.

No kidding. I have nothing against Maurer, but this fanbase was acting like he was Peyton Manning when he consistently was missing throws. He had one solid half against Georgia and he became a folk hero. I hope he balls out, but he benefitted greatly from being on the same team as arguably one of the least liked QBs in recent memory. I feel for JG.

No kidding. I have nothing against Maurer, but this fanbase was acting like he was Peyton Manning when he consistently was missing throws. He had one solid half against Georgia and he became a folk hero. I hope he balls out, but he benefitted greatly from being on the same team as arguably one of the least liked QBs in recent memory. I feel for JG.
TBF, he looked fantastic against Ole Miss and Bama before he got injured. He's a freshman so there was always going to be ups and downs. But his timing and mobility showed lots of promise. I think he's going to be a very good QB.

TBF, he looked fantastic against Ole Miss and Bama before he got injured. He's a freshman so there was always going to be ups and downs. But his timing and mobility showed lots of promise. I think he's going to be a very good QB.

I think "fantastic" is a stretch. He looked pretty solid and I could see his upside/promise. But people were looking for reasons to praise him because they were so desperate to be done with JG at that point.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Really lol? There are many Vol fans who have wished ill will upon JG through a large portion of this past season. Heck, JG said he received death threats at a few different points. JG has received a large portion of heat/hate from our fan base.
Man you are a dummy if you think that is representative of regular people. No sane person would make death threats..

I know tons of Vol fans, and I don't know a single one who hates JG...I know a bunch who are like me and hate the way he often plays like pureed crap.

JG deserved the criticism his horrid play brought on him. He had played absolutely hooorrridd and stupid on top of that.

I appreciate and applaud his toughness and determination to get better, and I hope he continues to improve..I love a good redemption story, but make no mistake..it is a REDEMPTION story.

Reactions: peaygolf
I hope you are right. If he had played better against Vanderbilt, I would be more compelled to agree with you. Wondering if inconsistency may just be a trademark of his. I do think that having a second year in the same system will inevitably be good for his development as a player. If I were him, I would spend the entire off-season working on the short throws. He misses more screen and swing passes than any quarterback I can recall watching. All that to say, I give the kid major props for sticking around for as long as he has. He has shown toughness and maturity that few possess. Additionally, I haven't forgotten his performance against Missouri. The guy is extremely capable if he can put it all together.

I'm still not sure why people are fretting about a QB's passing in a rain-drenched game. And has already been noted, JG's 'nana' passed away on Thanksgiving Day, 2 days prior to the Vandy game. Yes, he started badly while it was raining, going 0-7 w/ 1 INT, but finished 6-10 for 120 yards w/ 1 TD. I think once the rain slacked and he got his head in the game he was fine.

I think "fantastic" is a stretch. He looked pretty solid and I could see his upside/promise. But people were looking for reasons to praise him because they were so desperate to be done with JG at that point.
fantastic compared to JG. As I said, he showed a lot of promise. Made key throws on 3rd and long multiple times. I think y'all need to go watch. He was accurate, on time, got the ball out quick. That td throw to JJ in the GA game was a throw JG has never made in his TN career.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
fantastic compared to JG. As I said, he showed a lot of promise. Made key throws on 3rd and long multiple times. I think y'all need to go watch. He was accurate, on time, got the ball out quick. That td throw to JJ in the GA game was a throw JG has never made in his TN career.
Looks a lot like the one JG threw to DWA against Vandy...just sayin.

JG is still trying to learn to throw a screen pass.

Watching Mauer play QB this season is like watching your kids when you turn them loose on a Power Wheels for the 1st time. He's wide open with no idea of where he's going and there's an underlying feeling that something bad could happen. But it's awful fun to watch!

Watching Mauer play QB this season is like watching your kids when you turn them loose on a Power Wheels for the 1st time. He's wide open with no idea of where he's going and there's an underlying feeling that something bad could happen. But it's awful fun to watch!

At first we watched Maurer and we were all like:

the-shining-tricycle-o.gif

And then @Jack5151 had to chime in, and now we're thinking about Mauer's future like:

21958720151002185826.gif

88318520151002185853.gif

VN Store

Back