Oklahoma: 4/3/19,
Mississippi State: 4/5/19
Ol Miss: 4/4/19
Ark: 4/1/19
UF: 3/25/19, 2/16/19
Uscjr: 3/5/19
LSU: 10/13/18

Last edited:
I posted this on his 247 article, but his Dad is from Knox Halls area and still has UT season tickets. In the mid 70s there was a Chris Vandagriff (or Vandergriff) that won the state heavyweight wrestling title for Knoxville Halls, I wonder if there is a connection there? Apparently his Mom is all Auburn.
That was Chris Vandergriff. He retired from teaching at Halls High in 2012. I had him myself and he tried to convince me to go out for wrestling as a freshman in high school.

There may be a connection with the QB Vandagriff and his dad in Knoxville, but I don't think this is it.

I posted this on his 247 article, but his Dad is from Knox Halls area and still has UT season tickets. In the mid 70s there was a Chris Vandagriff (or Vandergriff) that won the state heavyweight wrestling title for Knoxville Halls, I wonder if there is a connection there? Apparently his Mom is all Auburn.
Vandergriff. He was all sec wrestler at UT when UT had a wrestling team... Before the Title IX crap

Vandergriff. He was all sec wrestler at UT when UT had a wrestling team... Before the Title IX crap

Thanks, I did not know he wrestled at UT. He was a few years older than me, I remember watching him pin Kirkman's Jonah Daniel in the state tourney at old Overton HS

Thanks, I did not know he wrestled at UT. He was a few years older than me, I remember watching him pin Kirkman's Jonah Daniel in the state tourney at old Overton HS
Yes, wrestled at UT before program was eliminated. Was also recently inducted in Knoxville Sports HOF, I believe.

“The atmosphere was crazy,” said Vandagriff. “The whole ride home (Sunday) morning, I was singing ‘Rocky Top.’ “That song, it’s rocking when everyone’s singing that. My dad has family that lives up there, so Tennessee’s always been one of the schools that’s near things and I’ve always kind of been interested in,” said Vandagriff, who also holds early offers from Auburn, Georgia, Miami, Michigan and North Carolina. “So I told my dad at the start of the season, ‘Let’s try to go to a Tennessee game,’ and this was the one that worked out for our schedule well. We went up to the game and then visited family after, so it worked out great.”

“I liked being able to see how the coaches handled themselves and handled the players on site,” Vandagriff said. “I liked to see the type of offense that they ran. It was pretty uptempo. I liked what I saw from the offense, mostly. It was an all-around good game. “I liked just kind of how their quarterback (Jarrett Guarantano), he was pretty decisive, which was good. Whenever I went to throw (at Tennessee in June), they spoke highly upon accuracy and all that, so it was nice being able to see someone put it into action. Whenever I went and threw this summer, JG was actually throwing with us, so it was pretty nice seeing them coach with him, too, with us being there.”

"I would say it’s nice knowing that, if I went to Tennessee, I would have so many people around there that I’m familiar with and that I know,” he said. “And I’m kind of familiar with the area. “But, overall, it’s where I need to feel comfortable — in the college, as well — so that’s all going to be factored in.”

Vandagriff attended Auburn’s season-opening win over Washington on Sept. 1 at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium, and he said he plans to visit Auburn on Saturday to attend its home game against LSU. He said he also expects to go to games at North Carolina and nearby Georgia, adding that he’s “pretty sure” he will see Georgia play host to Tennessee on Sept. 29 and Auburn on Nov. 10. “They’re, like, 10 minutes away,” Vandagriff said of the Bulldogs.

Visiting this week. Dude is elite

TENNESSEE: "I was at the ETSU game last year and now I am going back to see them again. The staff has sent a lot of coaches to check on me and they seem to be very interested in me. I have talked with coach Chris Weinke and I like him a lot. Coach Chaney and coach Sherrer are recruiting me too. Them showing a lot of interest in me means something and I just want to keep building my relationships with those guys."
Rivals

TIMELINE: "If everything was perfect, I would be committing around this time next year. If I find the school before then, then I will pull the trigger. I am thinking I will be committed by next spring. I could need the next year to make a decision, but I may not. I want to make all the boxes are checked before I commit. I want to go somewhere and stay, so I will make sure of my decision before I commit."

RIVALS REACTION
Vandagriff is taking these visits now because he wants to make a decision sooner than later. He could wait a little longer to see how the 2020 class shakes out and what quarterbacks go where, but he is really taking a serious look at numerous schools. He is a top talent who again shined Sunday at the Atlanta MVP Camp. He was clearly the top performer there, but he just wanted to come get some work in, so he declined to be recognized with an award. He is a very mature young man with a big arm and good mobility. He is advanced on and off the field, so expect schools to be all over him this spring during the evaluation period. Vandagriff is planning to cut his list down at some point in the coming months.

VN Store

Back