'21 GA OLB Smael Mondon (georgia commit)

I like Fulmer. I'm glad Fulmer is now in the job he was made for. But it all started with him and specifically the decline in program discipline. He didn't hold coaches accountable. He didn't hold players accountable.

Dooley and Jones both tried and failed to fix it... neither was the one to actually break it.
Dooley didn't try too hard. He practically quit toward the end of year 2.

Isn't Lawrence faster than JG? Hard to understand how a Butch Jones could rise to be a Head Coach at a place like Tennessee.
4 conference titles in 6 years, remember? His resume wasn’t terrible. And he did get us ranked inside the top 10 before things took a turn for the worst. He wasn’t good enough to stay in the SEC but not as bad as many make him out to be, IMO.

4 conference titles in 6 years, remember? His resume wasn’t terrible. And he did get us ranked inside the top 10 before things took a turn for the worst. He wasn’t good enough to stay in the SEC but not as bad as many make him out to be, IMO.
He had a good S&C coach in Lawson combined with the guys playing hard for him the first two seasons and Josh Dobbs' ability to make plays. He booted Lawson for no good reason, the injuries mounted, guy started to quit and then it all fell apart when Dobbs left. Honestly, Butch probably doesn't make it to a third season without Dobbs.

I have always thought that ran as something someone made up. I imagine what happened is that Lawrence visited his dream school and was quickly confronted with the fact that the coaching staff was a complete and hopeless cluster. Lawrence is no dummy. He made another choice.
This is 100% the case. No way a coach is dumb enough to turn away Lawrence.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol

It depends on what you are rating him on. He could get talent in the door (albeit by questionable “You’re definitely going to start here” tactics), but from an on-the-field X’s and O’s standpoint he was abysmal. His “Get a lead and sit on it by playing field position” philosophy worked at the G5 level, but was never going to work in the P5.

Butch was never going to accept that as truth either.

Lol. It was easy enough to see that he was going to be a loser before we hired him. He followed Brian Kelly around and never improved anything in trash leagues.

People who do coaching searches are responsible for looking more than surface deep. He built a "good record" by beating really bad teams. I think my memory is correct.... He only faced one schedule when the majority of his opponents ended up bowl eligible... he went 4-8.

People who do coaching searches are responsible for looking more than surface deep. He built a "good record" by beating really bad teams. I think my memory is correct.... He only faced one schedule when the majority of his opponents ended up bowl eligible... he went 4-8.
IIRC Dooley’s largest win at UT was a defeat of Butch Jones’ Cincinnati team. That tells you all you need to know.

He had a good S&C coach in Lawson combined with the guys playing hard for him the first two seasons and Josh Dobbs' ability to make plays. He booted Lawson for no good reason, the injuries mounted, guy started to quit and then it all fell apart when Dobbs left. Honestly, Butch probably doesn't make it to a third season without Dobbs.
I agree. The decision to part ways with some of his assistants was part of his demise.

It depends on what you are rating him on. He could get talent in the door (albeit by questionable “You’re definitely going to start here” tactics), but from an on-the-field X’s and O’s standpoint he was abysmal. His “Get a lead and sit on it by playing field position” philosophy worked at the G5 level, but was never going to work in the P5.

Butch was never going to accept that as truth either.
That and his unwillingness to adapt are probably his biggest mistakes. Arrogance probably his biggest flaw

VN Store

Back