'21 GA OLB Smael Mondon (georgia commit)

New 247 update just posted

“June is not over. … I’m not sure when it’s going to happen. I’m trying to keep it real low-key. I’m not trying to tell anybody.”

Georgia remains the consensus favorite on the 247Sports Crystal Ball to land the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Mondon. He didn’t give any hints Saturday in regard to whether the home-state Bulldogs are his leader. But he’s still considering at least a few schools, including Tennessee and Auburn, as he continues to move toward a decision.

He said he’s still considering a few different factors in weighing his options.

“I couldn’t really say it’s one big thing. It’s kind of like a few things,” Mondon said. “The position coach is one of them. Comfort level is another, and just like the overall fit at the school. I’ve got to feel like it’s home.”

“I feel like the recruiting class they had last year, and with the one they’re trying to build this year, the program is going in the right direction,” Mondon said.

He also has developed a strong relationship with Niedermeyer, who was serving as Mondon’s primary recruiter for Tennessee even before he shifted from tight ends coach to inside linebackers coach earlier this year.

“I like him,” Mondon said of Niedermeyer. “He’s a good dude.”

As for how much of a factor Auburn might be in his decision, Mondon said, “You’re going to see eventually.”

“They’ve been recruiting me the same way through the whole process,” he said. “I’ve been in contact with (Tigers linebackers coach Travis Williams) the whole time. We’ve been pretty close. I’ve always been pretty close with him since he started recruiting me.”

Sounds like auburn from that
I couldn’t post the whole article it got edited to just certain parts.Mondon said this to.

“The Vols quietly emerged as serious contenders for him over the past several months. He has visited them three times since late July, with his most recent trip to Knoxville coming in late January, and they have made him one of their top priorities in the 2021 class, led by inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer.

Mondon said he’s considering Tennessee for multiple reasons, starting with the progress the Vols have continued to show under third-year head coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff.

Tennessee’s 2020 signing class was ranked No. 10 nationally in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite team rankings, and the Vols’ 2021 class is currently ranked No. 3 nationally and No. 1 in the SEC.

“I feel like the recruiting class they had last year, and with the one they’re trying to build this year, the program is going in the right direction,” Mondon said.“

At first glance, his comment about Auburn looks like he's tipping his hand, but I think that's reading too much into it. I think that was just his way of saying "You're just going to have to wait and see." The reporter was trying to get Mondon to give away something specifically about Auburn's chances, but I feel like he would responded the same way if the question was asked about Tennessee or Georgia. Mondon is known for being tight-lipped about the way he's leaning, so it doesn't make sense that he would start dropping hints now.

At first glance, his comment about Auburn looks like he's tipping his hand, but I think that's reading too much into it. I think that was just his way of saying "You're just going to have to wait and see." The reporter was trying to get Mondon to give away something specifically about Auburn's chances, but I feel like he would responded the same way if the question was asked about Tennessee or Georgia. Mondon is known for being tight-lipped about the way he's leaning, so it doesn't make sense that he would start dropping hints now.
That’s exactly how I took it

VN Store

Back