'21 GA OLB Smael Mondon (georgia commit)

I guess I feel like we are essentially saying the same thing, which is that kids are fickle. And that is the case many times. There are some cases, though, where kids are just outright deceitful. I believe that to be the case with Hardy. He may have been coerced by his parents/coaches/handlers to do so, but he didn't just "change his mind". He lied and schemed behind the scenes to play Tennessee's coaches.

The only part of your post I don't agree with is the idea that a kid can be 100% School A, and the next day flips to School B. The kid was never 100% if he flips that easily and that quickly. Retreating off of a strong, 100% commitment takes time and a lot of effort from another influential party. I think kids, certainly, and many adults, as well, throw around commitment levels of "100%" quite flippantly, when in reality, it's more like 55%.

I think you underestimate the mind of a teenager, lol. They can feel 100% one way, not realizing they have doubts, sleep on it, realize they have questions, then be 100% in the opposite direction. It's easy to believe before life's lessons jade you. It's easy to convince yourself you're all in, and mean it when you say it, and then change your mind out of the blue. That's just being a teenager. We all want them to act more adult, but the truth is, they're not quite there yet.

The bigger problem, as already alluded to, is parents. When a school gets to the parents, what the player wants gets pushed aside as the parents convince them what school to pick. I have zero respect for parents that allow themselves to get bought.

Swing for the best take less when you miss. No one recruit is vital.
Disagree. One recruit can be vital when he pans out. For example, Henry T. Sure, we could find another ILB that would get the job done, but it would be hard to find another player with his impact. Certain players are game changers because they are just that talented.

Disagree. One recruit can be vital when he pans out. For example, Henry T. Sure, we could find another ILB that would get the job done, but it would be hard to find another player with his impact. Certain players are game changers because they are just that talented.
No one recruit is vital. Everyone in the football program is vital....everyone. That’s what Pruitt said day 1.

No one recruit is vital. Everyone in the football program is vital....everyone. That’s what Pruitt said day 1.
And I disagree. I already gave my reasoning. Saying Pruitt said different doesn't change my opinion.

I think you underestimate the mind of a teenager, lol. They can feel 100% one way, not realizing they have doubts, sleep on it, realize they have questions, then be 100% in the opposite direction. It's easy to believe before life's lessons jade you. It's easy to convince yourself you're all in, and mean it when you say it, and then change your mind out of the blue. That's just being a teenager. We all want them to act more adult, but the truth is, they're not quite there yet.

The bigger problem, as already alluded to, is parents. When a school gets to the parents, what the player wants gets pushed aside as the parents convince them what school to pick. I have zero respect for parents that allow themselves to get bought.
I have two teenagers. Trust me, I get it. But, there is a difference in being 100% and feeling 100%, and you have used both instances interchangeably. I agree kids can feel 100% about something and quickly change their mind. To me, that means it was merely an emotion-driven feeling and not a state of being. It is why we see quite a few quick commitments coming off of visits that eventually fizzle out as the high of the visit wears off. This is what I alluded to when I said we, as people, but kids especially, throw the term 100% around without caution, ignoring what it really means. In a general sense, it has come to now mean that I am leaning one way or the other, but can easily be persuaded. To me, that isn't being 100% committed to anything.

Semantics, probably, but worth pointing out the difference because it seems to be the wedge between our opinions.

💩 happens! Losing faith in the INFO that AV brings would be ridiculous due to a kid telling one thing and doing another. I only wish I could read people like many on here expect AV to be able to.
That's a gross oversimplification of what I said, but whatever. I never attempted to discredit AV, his info, or his character. Instead, I provided my opinion on why he does miss on some of these kids and even admitted he's only as good as the info he receives. It has just become apparent that some of these kids and their families have no scruples at all, in some cases. AV can't help that, but I don't think it's slanderous to believe that he possibly looks for the good in these kids and sometimes inadvertently misses some character red flags, thus leaving him to look misinformed when a recruitment goes awry.

I appreciate everything AV brings, and have never once questioned his legitimacy as a super booster and power-player behind the scenes. I fully believe he has direct contact with the staff, recruits, and other boosters. It doesn't make him infallible, flawless, or beyond reproach. It was never intended to be an AV call-out, so don't make it that.

Yep. That selling out for just that 1 star power recruit got us the Butch Jones syndrome. You go on quality across the board. It’s science.
Its funny how he pointed out just Toot because of the awards he is nominated for. Tank, he was vital.
Wanya, he was vital.
Darnell, he was vital.
Literally everyone on the team, around the program, etc. is vital.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
I have two teenagers. Trust me, I get it. But, there is a difference in being 100% and feeling 100%, and you have used both instances interchangeably. I agree kids can feel 100% about something and quickly change their mind. To me, that means it was merely an emotion-driven feeling and not a state of being. It is why we see quite a few quick commitments coming off of visits that eventually fizzle out as the high of the visit wears off. This is what I alluded to when I said we, as people, but kids especially, throw the term 100% around without caution, ignoring what it really means. In a general sense, it has come to now mean that I am leaning one way or the other, but can easily be persuaded. To me, that isn't being 100% committed to anything.

Semantics, probably, but worth pointing out the difference because it seems to be the wedge between our opinions.
We're basically saying the same thing. For a teenager ruled by emotion both everything and nothing is 100%.

Reactions: cncchris33
Its funny how he pointed out just Toot because of the awards he is nominated for. Tank, he was vital.
Wanya, he was vital.
Darnell, he was vital.
Literally everyone on the team, around the program, etc. is vital.
lol, I just used the first example to come to mind. I think, maybe, we're working off different definitions of what we consider vital. But I agree, the players you listed are also vital.

💩 happens! Losing faith in the INFO that AV brings would be ridiculous due to a kid telling one thing and doing another. I only wish I could read people like many on here expect AV to be able to.

Isn’t it easy to comprehend that AV brings good info, but that it represents a snapshot in time? Nothing is done until the ink dries on an LOI, that’s not AV’s fault. It’s just how recruiting works.

Feel free to disagree. “Getting the job done” is priority number one. Whether it gets done by Al Wilson or Ernest Fields. You shut down because you don’t get Olaijah Griffin and Tyson Campbell and you don’t reap the benefits when Bryce Thompson and Alontae Thompson outperforms them. Those stories don’t happen and you don’t land Toto anyway. You still have to land talent but it’s not live or die with ONE.

Feel free to disagree. “Getting the job done” is priority number one. Whether it gets done by Al Wilson or Ernest Fields. You shut down because you don’t get Olaijah Griffin and Tyson Campbell and you don’t reap the benefits when Bryce Thompson and Alontae Thompson outperforms them. Those stories don’t happen and you don’t land Toto anyway. You still have to land talent but it’s not live or die with ONE.
And I don't disagree with that. I never said you shut down because you miss on a player. Like I said to Redd, I think we're looking at this from two different angles. It happens. I guess I was thinking more how recruits become vital players. Look how our defense played at the beginning of last season without Bituli for an example.

And I don't disagree with that. I never said you shut down because you miss on a player. Like I said to Redd, I think we're looking at this from two different angles. It happens. I guess I was thinking more how recruits become vital players. Look how our defense played at the beginning of last season without Bituli for an example.
And Bituli was a 4 star...same as Toto. Mondon’s a 5 star. Member when Quay Walker threw the hat and Trezmen Marshall said nah? We kept going. We don’t have Gavin Bryant or Will Ignont as fallbacks anymore. We miss on Mondon? The next option will be able to PLAY!

Like you said, some prospects become vital players.

But just talking prospects, looking forward like "we MUST get this guy" often ends up appearing foolish.

Toots is working out. JJP, the "gem" of the 2018 class...not so much.

Look at UGA's 2018 class...3 5*s already transferred. Zamir White? Adam Anderson?

Thus...wouldn't worry about a single prospect too much.

Not arguing wit ya, like you said 2 different angles. Vital players vs vital prospects.

Per ATL he still talks to us everyday. Likely talks to UGA and Barn everyday too. He may commit somewhere in the next 2-3 weeks but he won’t be a done deal until the ink dries.

Lots of leg work left for when he starts doing real visits this fall. All three teams in the hunt have great defensive coaches Pruitt/Ansley, Steele and Kirbs are all great defensive coaches with impressive track records of sticking linebackers in the NFL.

I think if Pruitt and co can get to that next step by beating some big boys like a UGA, FL, OU, UA then we land Mondon.

TLDR: Vol

VN Store

Back