'19 GA OLB Roman Harrison (Tennessee signee)

Really excited about this kid from the beginning and now to see how he has exploded this year gives me a lot of hope in our staff being able to see and grab up talent before others do. Is the staff looking at him as DE or OLB or both?

Think " James Harrison" of the Steelers.

He was a DE, OLB, and DT on 3rd and long.

This kid is country strong with very rare explosion. And he is a straight bully at the point of attack. Hard to block because of low center of gravity.

Attachments

• 669D827F-2B57-4896-BC05-CBCAA669AA39.jpeg
    669D827F-2B57-4896-BC05-CBCAA669AA39.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 132
Oh...so all you really care about is style in disagreement--not substance. You MUST BE A MILLENNIAL....and believe that your opinion has validity JUST BECAUSE IT'S YOURS!

Nice strawman argument there. Substance is definitely more important than style when having a debate. You’ve done a s****y job at both.

Not knowing how to use periods or dashes definitely distract from the main point you were trying to make which was, apparently, “LOL SMDH, NO!”

Not exactly a great example of substance.

The NFL doesn't draft DEs according to their 40 numbers, sir.... and I'll consider any different point of view if it has any credibility....you don't!!!!

Good 40 numbers definitely help draft stock for edge defenders. But yeah, most teams look at how fast guys cover the first 10 yards as more important for DEs. And Barnett’s limitations in that department are the reason he was a top 15 pick, not a top 10 or top 5 pick.

As for you considering other points of view, responding “LOL SMDH” multiple times to someone suggesting an opposing idea isn’t exactly indicative of someone willing to consider another’s opinion.

And, FTR, I never definitively said Maggit is more explosive. I thing there’s an argument to be made there, but I don’t think it’s something we can know for certain. Maggit definitely got out of his stance and covered 5-10 yards very quickly.

IF you're gonna use words like intellectually incapable and moron in a post---when you're trying to explain to anyone of any intelligence that Magitt was more explosive off the ball than Barnett---then pure stupid is what you are.

Well here’s the problem. Apparently I’m explaining to someone who has no idea how to punctuate or attempt make a point without using the caps lock button, way too many exclamation points, or underlined text. Next time we have a disagreement I’ll try to use some crayons to make things more eye catching and less threatening for you. Maybe then you’ll be able to engage in discussion.

Barnett exploded out of his stance like a rocket launching and was around most OTs before they moved 2 steps. THAT'S CALLED EXPLOSIVENESS....and that's WHY he was drafted in the 1st round.....not for his broad jump or 40 yd dash time....

You’re actually agreeing with me in the bolded part here. Barnett wasn’t drafted for his measureables because they aren’t all that great (by NFL edge defender standards, at least). His measureables weren’t what made him a great player.

We disagree about the first part, though. Barnett definitely has a good get off, but he’s not elite there. He was pretty good at timing snaps (though he did mess up and get some offsides calls occasionally) and also got a lot of sacks through a combination of effort, strength, and technique.

Not one for player comparisons that are unfair... like “ he’s the next Barnett or he’s the next kongbo (hopefully not, no offense JK)” but I really hope this is like our version of dont’a Hightower.

If I remember correctly he was a TN boy in sabans early classes and I always remembered thinking why didn’t we sign this monster. Hopefully Georgia is saying this is a few years..

Nice strawman argument there. Substance is definitely more important than style when having a debate. You’ve done a s****y job at both.

Not knowing how to use periods or dashes definitely distract from the main point you were trying to make which was, apparently, “LOL SMDH, NO!”

Good 40 numbers definitely help draft stock for edge defenders. But yeah, most teams look at how fast guys cover the first 10 yards as more important for DEs. And Barnett’s limitations in that department are the reason he was a top 15 pick, not a top 10 or top 5 pick.

As for you considering other points of view, responding “LOL SMDH” multiple times to someone suggesting an opposing idea isn’t exactly indicative of someone willing to consider another’s opinion.

And, FTR, I never definitively said Maggit is more explosive. I thing there’s an argument to be made there, but I don’t think it’s something we can know for certain. Maggit definitely got out of his stance and covered 5-10 yards very quickly.

Well here’s the problem. Apparently I’m explaining to someone who has no idea how to punctuate or attempt make a point without using the caps lock button, way too many exclamation points, or underlined text. Next time we have a disagreement I’ll try to use some crayons to make things more eye catching and less threatening for you. Maybe then you’ll be able to engage in discussion.

You’re actually agreeing with me in the bolded part here. Barnett wasn’t drafted for his measureables because they aren’t all that great (by NFL edge defender standards, at least). His measureables weren’t what made him a great player.

We disagree about the first part, though. Barnett definitely has a good get off, but he’s not elite there. He was pretty good at timing snaps (though he did mess up and get some offsides calls occasionally) and also got a lot of sacks through a combination of effort, strength, and technique.
giphy (2).gif

And, FTR, I never definitively said Maggit is more explosive.

My God, man...you are a millennial.

For the record...I NEVER pulled your chain at all. Never intended nor had any desire to talk to you. But here's how it progressed...

WalkenVol said: "I think a healthy Curt was the most explosive edge rusher we've had since Dooley showed up."

I responded to him, not you, and said: "smdh....BARNETT??? REALLY???"

To me--that was an incredibly ignorant post--almost like he had just forgotten all about Derek Barnett. I couldn't believe it.

And FTR--you said: "Barnett was better for sure, but not necessarily the more explosive of the two".

I simply don't know how I could take that statement to communicate anything else but your agreement with WalkenVol. If you didn't agree with him, then why did you feel the need to respond to my post in the first place?

And now you're trying to walk those comments back--and talking yourself into a circle by making an attempt to educate me on punctuation and on things in which you assume that we agree. The simple fact is that you were wrong from the beginning and you'll do anything to keep from admitting it.

Even a blind man could see that Barnett is the best pass-rusher with the most explosiveness off the ball since Leonard Little played.

He wasn't drafted higher because he isn't built like Myles Garrett, Clowney, or Jevon Kearse.

And like all millennials--you SAY substance matters more than style....but you then spend more time assaulting the way I punctuate my posts than actually proving anything I've said to be wrong.

Here endeth the lesson.

disagree if you'd like, but IMO when Maggitt was healthy he was the more explosive edge rusher vs Barnett. Barnett obviously had the best career and he stayed healthy which eluded Maggitt

Reactions: StanfordVol
Girls, you’re both pretty.
h9FD4E2BA

For the record...I NEVER pulled your chain at all. Never intended nor had any desire to talk to you. But here's how it progressed...

WalkenVol said: "I think a healthy Curt was the most explosive edge rusher we've had since Dooley showed up."

To me--that was an incredibly ignorant post--almost like he had just forgotten all about Derek Barnett. I couldn't believe it.

And FTR--you said: "Barnett was better for sure, but not necessarily the more explosive of the two".

I simply don't know how I could take that statement to communicate anything else but your agreement with WalkenVol. If you didn't agree with him, then why did you feel the need to respond to my post in the first place?

I guess it may be hard for someone who obviously struggles to coherently use full sentences to understand, but I enjoy discussing football. The “who had a better get off, Barnett or Magitt” question seemed like an opportunity for good football talk. IMO there’s an argument that can be made for Maggit there, but it’s also something we’ll likely never know because we don’t have combine numbers and 10 yard splits to compare between the two. Hence the qualifiers in my poss.

And now you're trying to walk those comments back--and talking yourself into a circle by making an attempt to educate me on punctuation and on things in which you assume that we agree. The simple fact is that you were wrong from the beginning and you'll do anything to keep from admitting it.

I found it ironic that someone who seems to get off so hard on putting down millennials writes like a 12 year old girl.

As for the bolded part, there seem to be some areas our opinions here overlap. Neither of us things Barnett was drafted for putting up eye popping numbers at the combine, for example.

Even a blind man could see that Barnett is the best pass-rusher with the most explosiveness off the ball since Leonard Little played.
Our best pass rusher? Yeah, I definitely agree. Most explosiveness off the ball? I’m not sure. He’s at or near the top of the list, for sure. However, I don’t think his game was really predicated on being the fastest guy around the edge like you seem to.

He wasn't drafted higher because he isn't built like Myles Garrett, Clowney, or Jevon Kearse.

Neither are Khalil Mack or Von Miller. They were both top 5 picks and who are basically the same size as Barnett. But those guys are freakishly explosive and have made a living in the NFL because of that (despite not having the size of someone like Julius Peppers or Clowney). Do you really not think Barnett could have cracked the top 10 picks if he had the speed and explosion of those guys?

And like all millennials--you SAY substance matters more than style....but you then spend more time assaulting the way I punctuate my posts than actually proving anything I've said to be wrong.

Here endeth the lesson.
Like I said above, it’s hard to take you seriously when you write like a middle schooler.

As for proving you wrong, that was never really my intention. I thought it was an interesting topic to discuss. Apparently even considering the topic triggered you.

I apologize that my bringing up an idea you disagree with offended you so much. I’m sorry for assuming you didn’t need a safe space.

Reactions: roosterjbh
I think a healthy Curt was the most explosive edge rusher we've had since Dooly showed up
smdh.....BARNETT??? REALLY??
Barnett was better for sure, but not necessarily the more explosive of the two.
SMDH.....LOL.....

It was his explosiveness that made him better....he exploded out of his stance in a burst that got him by his blockers....just...smdh....LOL....

Not trying to be offensive, dude, but if you're gonna post this drivel...you ought to expect it...
How eloquently put 🙄

It’s obvious that you’re either intellectually incapable of or moronically unwilling to consider a differing point of view, but I’ll give it a shot:

What made Barnett better than Maggit was better size, better bend around the edge, great technique with his hands, and one of the best motors and violent mindsets I’ve ever seen from a Tennessee defender. But he was never a super explosive guy. He ran a 4.9 40 yard dash at the combine and didn’t put up elite numbers explosion wise. But that’s fine because his game isn’t and was never predicated on being a physical freak of nature like some other edge defenders.

Maggit, on the other hand, was a bit of a one trick pony as a pass rusher. When he was healthy and at his best, he was really good at speed rushing by being able to explode out of his stance and cover 3-5 yards more quickly than OTs could move. Unfortunately, he never ran a timed 40, was not consistently healthy, and was more limited physically in other ways than Barnett (most notably, ability to stay healthy throughout a whole season).

We’ll never be able to compare what their numbers were getting out of their stance, or who has a better vertical, etc., but it’s not hard to imagine Maggit (when he was healthy and in his prime) putting up better numbers in those types of categories. He and Barnett are very different players from a build and play style standpoint.
More like questioning his ability/willingness to consider differing opinions based on this post, others made in the FF, and the phrasing of his posts in general.

Saying “I disagree because of X reason” and “lol smdh ur wrong lol dum opinyun” are very different things.
Oh...so all you really care about is style in disagreement--not substance. You MUST BE A MILLENNIAL....and believe that your opinion has validity JUST BECAUSE IT'S YOURS!

The NFL doesn't draft DEs according to their 40 numbers, sir.... and I'll consider any different point of view if it has any credibility....you don't!!!!

IF you're gonna use words like intellectually incapable and moron in a post---when you're trying to explain to anyone of any intelligence that Magitt was more explosive off the ball than Barnett---then pure stupid is what you are.

Barnett exploded out of his stance like a rocket launching and was around most OTs before they moved 2 steps. THAT'S CALLED EXPLOSIVENESS....and that's WHY he was drafted in the 1st round.....not for his broad jump or 40 yd dash time....

Once again.....just LOL and SMDH....

Here endeth the lesson.
disagree if you'd like, but IMO when Maggitt was healthy he was the more explosive edge rusher vs Barnett. Barnett obviously had the best career and he stayed healthy which eluded Maggitt
I guess it may be hard for someone who obviously struggles to coherently use full sentences to understand, but I enjoy discussing football. The “who had a better get off, Barnett or Magitt” question seemed like an opportunity for good football talk. IMO there’s an argument that can be made for Maggit there, but it’s also something we’ll likely never know because we don’t have combine numbers and 10 yard splits to compare between the two. Hence the qualifiers in my poss.

I found it ironic that someone who seems to get off so hard on putting down millennials writes like a 12 year old girl.

As for the bolded part, there seem to be some areas our opinions here overlap. Neither of us things Barnett was drafted for putting up eye popping numbers at the combine, for example.

Our best pass rusher? Yeah, I definitely agree. Most explosiveness off the ball? I’m not sure. He’s at or near the top of the list, for sure. However, I don’t think his game was really predicated on being the fastest guy around the edge like you seem to.

Neither are Khalil Mack or Von Miller. They were both top 5 picks and who are basically the same size as Barnett. But those guys are freakishly explosive and have made a living in the NFL because of that (despite not having the size of someone like Julius Peppers or Clowney). Do you really not think Barnett could have cracked the top 10 picks if he had the speed and explosion of those guys?

Like I said above, it’s hard to take you seriously when you write like a middle schooler.

As for proving you wrong, that was never really my intention. I thought it was an interesting topic to discuss. Apparently even considering the topic triggered you.

I apologize that my bringing up an idea you disagree with offended you so much. I’m sorry for assuming you didn’t need a safe space.

giphy.gif

Y'all done yet?

Roman Harrison and he is a great young man. Very impressive on the hoof. The strongest handshake I’ve had since Robert Nkemdiche. It’s 43 degrees down here and my hand actually hurt for a few seconds.

I am on the road all day today and tomorrow, but look for a full story on Harrison next week.

He was in Knoxville last weekend and loved it. Will be back for his OV December 14.

Visited GT earlier this fall, but says he does not plan to give them an OV.”

Simmons

Interested to see if his 5.6 on Rivals, or his 77 on ESPN, will change soon.
End of the day, our staff dug up a hell of a playmaker before he blew up... he looks like he's had 3 years of college S&C and he hasn't enrolled yet...

His tape looks fantastic and he's playing out of position... his HS production has been insane for a DT... I can't directly tell you how that'll hold up vs SEC O-lines, but I'd expect him to at least be above average in college with the potential to be as good as anybody we've had in a long time off the edge...

This is really one of those few cases where I don't care about what he ends up being ranked by any of the services (I mean, it's superficial... only matters for the overall "team 2019 class" rankings)... this one's already knotted up and he's gonna be a stud sooner than later... I just hope he doesn't get vultured before NSD

Roman Harrison and he is a great young man. Very impressive on the hoof. The strongest handshake I’ve had since Robert Nkemdiche. It’s 43 degrees down here and my hand actually hurt for a few seconds.

I am on the road all day today and tomorrow, but look for a full story on Harrison next week.

He was in Knoxville last weekend and loved it. Will be back for his OV December 14.

Visited GT earlier this fall, but says he does not plan to give them an OV.”

Simmons

He is country strong...Bainbridge? Yeah, he is country strong.

VN Store

Back