'22 GA EDGE Joshua Josephs (Tennessee signee)

The Class of 2022 defensive end/linebacker from North Cobb High School in Kennesaw, Ga., told 247Sports’ Rusty Mansell that his trip to Tennessee the weekend of June 4 is one of three official visits he currently has planned. He also mentioned the Vols as one of at least three teams making him as much of a priority as anyone, along with Kentucky and Michigan.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Josephs said he’s also scheduled to take official visits to Penn State the weekend of June 11 and Michigan the weekend of June 18 following his upcoming trip to Knoxville. He hasn’t been to Tennessee’s campus before, but he said he’s looking forward to getting a firsthand look at the Vols next month.

“Probably just want to see how it is in person, the community, the vibe and what’s over there, and what the stadium looks like — all that,” Josephs told Mansell on Thursday afternoon.

Josephs said he has stayed in contact with first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel and a few of the Vols’ assistant coaches, led by linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary and Mike Ekeler, their outside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

“I talk to Coach BJ, Coach Heupel, Coach Ekeler — all their linebacker coaches — and their defensive coordinator (Tim Banks) a lot,” said Josephs, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 16 weakside defensive end in the 2022 class and the No. 29 junior from the state of Georgia.
-Callahan

No Georgia offer is alarming
UK sent more LBs to the NFL this year. They were from Georgia, with NO Georgia offers.

Meanwhile Jarret Gaurantano had an OSU offer by Urban Meyer.

Stars are unreliable, and college offers have too many other factors involved in the decision. Not just the individual's talent.

Clemson recruited one DL this past cycle yet the year before they signed 5 and some where not as talented as the one they took the year after. Recruiting boards are heavily involved in offering. And not every school does it the same way.

Measurables, personality, coaching and opportunity is what grows a player.

UK sent more LBs to the NFL this year. They were from Georgia, with NO Georgia offers.

Meanwhile Jarret Gaurantano had an OSU offer by Urban Meyer.

Stars are unreliable, and college offers have too many other factors involved in the decision. Not just the individual's talent.

Clemson recruited one DL this past cycle yet the year before they signed 5 and some where not as talented as the one they took the year after. Recruiting boards are heavily involved in offering. And not every school does it the same way.

Measurables, personality, coaching and opportunity is what grows a player.
Work ethic/ mindset = #1 trait for success. Also one of the hardest to measure

Work ethic/ mindset = #1 trait for success. Also one of the hardest to measure
I would agree with this for the general population.
But not athletes.
Natural God-Given talent is what it is. You comebine that with what you mentioned and...
And yeah it's hard to measure that aspect (work/mindset) but you can certainly see it's results.

JG had a fantastic work ethic. Mindset??? No comment.

This Josephs kid is a good football player and a very good athlete. There are some good ones this year, but none I hope for UT to get more than this kid.

I would agree with this for the general population.
But not athletes.
Natural God-Given talent is what it is. You comebine that with what you mentioned and...
And yeah it's hard to measure that aspect (work/mindset) but you can certainly see it's results.

JG had a fantastic work ethic. Mindset??? No comment.

This Josephs kid is a good football player and a very good athlete. There are some good ones this year, but none I hope for UT to get more than this kid.
I just feel like they do star ratings based on athletic ability, but when it comes draft time there’s always a surplus of lower rated kids because they worked hard to get there. I also feel like most busts are because kids relied on that God-Given talent for so long and didn’t need to work hard.

I just feel like they do star ratings based on athletic ability, but when it comes draft time there’s always a surplus of lower rated kids because they worked hard to get there. I also feel like most busts are because kids relied on that God-Given talent for so long and didn’t need to work hard.

Sure. A lot of truth to that. Hardwork beats talent. But if you combine the two...you get Alabama.

In regards to stars, it's mostly political to be honest. There's a lot of people that make real money off that stuff.

Patrick Willis was a 2 star, but he was still running 4.6 in high school.

Randall Cobb was a QB but his speed and playmaking ability were apparent on the field and track. Everytime he worked out at WR during local camps, he shined.

Going to these National Camps and creating buzz is what gets your stars up.

Have you ever wondered why Rivals and 24/7 stop their 4 star rankings at the around the 250 mark? The real reason...

Check how many draft picks are in an NFL draft each year. I believe Mr Irrelevant was pick # 255 this year...

People saying that the shear amount of more 3 stars and 2 and unranked contributing to their reperesentation in the NFL is a bogus argument. Stars rankings have been a thing for 20 years now. And EVERY SINGLE YEAR there are enough 4 stars to fill out a NFL Draft class pick 1 - 255...

“I wanted to hangout with the coaches and the rest of the staff,” Josephs said. “I loved it because I love this place.”

“I saw a lot during my first visit here. I love the stadium. I love the coaches. Coach Heupel is a cool dude. Coach Ekeler texts me. That’s my dawg. Coach BJ (Jean-Mary), Coach Banks, they all treat me like family.”

Tennessee’s message to Josephs was simple during Sunday’s festivities which included hanging out with the coaches and playing some corn hole.

“‘That they have to get me back up here,’ that’s what they kept saying,” Josephs said.

Josephs intends to take an official to Tennessee in September or October. He was originally scheduled to take an official to see the Vols earlier this month, but changed it to an unofficial so that he could save his official for a Saturday in the fall.

The 6-foot-3, 205 lbs. pass rusher has already taken two official visits. Josephs visited Penn State official on June 11 and then Michigan on June 18. He’s considering taking an official to Kentucky in the fall.

Josephs is eyeing a mid-season decision. He expects for the Vols to be in contention for his services throughout his recruitment.

“Tennessee has always been high on my list and will remain up there,” Josephs said. “Today helped them a lot. Even though I saw everything the last time I was up here, they showed me that all the coaches are normal people. That they’re chill, that they like to have fun and all that.”
-VQ

Watched his film and two things stood out. His ability to chase down and make tackles on plays going away from his side of the field, and once he got his hands on you, you were going down. Okay, three things. Don’t remember seeing him getting pushed backwards by a running back. Don’t care what his star rating is, I believe this guy is a player and hope he bleeds orange.

Sure does, almost touch his knees. If he learns proper technique, will be a nightmare for OL to try to block.

VN Store

Back