'22 GA EDGE Joshua Josephs (Tennessee signee)

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Josephs has racked up offers from a dozen schools within the past two months. But he said it was still “exciting” to find out about his offer from the Vols, who became the fourth SEC team to join the race for him, and he’s looking forward to learning more about the program and getting to know new Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel’s staff.

“Tennessee is a big school,” said Josephs, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 17 weakside defensive end in the 2022 class and the No. 29 junior from the state of Georgia.

“Over the summer, I’m going to take a visit there. I feel like, once I get to know them more, the interest will go up.”

Josephs, who now holds offers from more than 20 colleges, said he “met a lot of the coaches” on the Vols’ staff during a FaceTime conversation earlier this week. Jean-Mary, who left Michigan for Tennessee less than a month ago, informed Josephs of his offer from the Vols after also offering him on behalf of the Wolverines on Feb. 2.

He said Tennessee’s staff has been impressed by his ability to rush the passer and provide some versatility as a possible outside linebacker.

“They liked my length and the explosiveness I play with,” Josephs said. “I want to say (Tennessee envisions playing me at) linebacker, but I’m not actually sure. But they do want me dropping into coverage and rushing the passer.”

The Vols have plenty of competition for Josephs. He said Michigan, Miami, South Carolina, Mississippi State and Virginia Tech are the teams currently recruiting him hardest.

For now, he’s not rushing to decide on a college. But he said he’s hoping to pick a school sometime “before October, hopefully before the season starts.”

In late February, after 247Sports gave Josephs an initial three-star rating with an 89 numerical rating last month, 247Sports’ Allen Trieu included him on a list of players already on the verge of becoming four-star prospects who could climb higher in 247Sports’ rankings in the coming months.

“Josephs' pass-rushing skills, where he is mostly rushing as a linebacker, are intriguing, but the clips of him dropping into coverage were what really impressed us,” Trieu wrote at the time. “He also shows he can take on a block and stop the run, so he is not just a speed rusher.”
-Callahan

Georgia linebacker Joshua Josephs is set to visit Tennessee in June. Brian Jean Mary has done a really nice job of getting Tennessee in the mix there. Both sides have had good dialogue and it wouldn’t be shocking to see Tennessee pull a rabbit out in this one. There is a long way to go but Josephs ability to get on the field at Tennessee at the linebacker position is something that has really opened his eyes.
- VQ

Okay. Take a look for yourselves.
Joshua Josephs on Hudl.

There's no way there is 50 better players even in GA than this kid. Has some of the best looking film for a LB you will see. He is dominant! Closes to the ball fast, and soft hands. Only needed to watch 2 mins of his highlights.

This kid is a must get! Don't think he wil stay a 3 star...

With all the pandemic restrictions and lack of camping the past year, I don’t put much stock into rankings at the moment. What are they ranking? They can barely evaluate many of these kids outside of film. I think this guy is a stud.

Winner winner!

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
Young man certainly looks like he can play to me. Will have to learn to play lower at the next level, but certainly has the size/speed/athleticism to play in the SEC based on the competition that he is playing against. Would be a nice addition.

With all the pandemic restrictions and lack of camping the past year, I don’t put much stock into rankings at the moment. What are they ranking? They can barely evaluate many of these kids outside of film. I think this guy is a stud.
I agree with this to an extent - the recruiting rankings are as bad as they've ever been.

However, offer lists tell the true story.

Reactions: Catbone
I will say that schools have just as little to go on as the recruiting services this year.
Agreed - but that applies for Tennessee as much as any other school.

You can't say you think Tennessee is ahead of the curve on every prospect and teams like Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc. are just missing these guys.

We know what's going on here - Tennessee is recruiting guys they think they can get.

Agreed - but that applies for Tennessee as much as any other school.

You can't say you think Tennessee is ahead of the curve on every prospect and teams like Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc. are just missing these guys.

We know what's going on here - Tennessee is recruiting guys they think they can get.
As they should. Until the product is put on the field and is known, you have to build your class regardles.

But this prospect has big offers...and he is much better than a 3 star. Or two current commits are about right with their rankings imo.

Can’t the same be said for the coaches and recruiting staffs as well then ?

Reactions: kjvol1997
The talented edge player is hoping to be at Kentucky on June 2 for an unofficial visit. He will then make his way to Tennessee for an official visit the weekend of June 4. After spending some time in Knoxville, Josephs will likely take his second official visit to Penn State the weekend of June 11, although he has yet to finalize flights for that trip. Michigan will then host Josephs for an official visit the weekend of June 18.

While Josephs claims that everyone inside his top eight is running even, he did acknowledge that the Wildcats, Volunteers, Nittany Lions and Wolverines have done the best job of recruiting him to date.
"They all want me to play different linebacker positions that they have," Josephs explained. "Then on third and long, I could come up and rusher the passer."
Josephs also likes the folks in Knoxville.

"The new staff with [Tim Banks], he's from Penn State, but he's an amazing defensive coordinator. Then the linebackers coach [Brian Jean-Mary], I actually knew him when he was at Michigan and then he started recruiting me when he got to Tennessee. I like everything about Tennessee to be honest. I'm just waiting until June to see them," Josephs said.
-Ivins

VN Store

Back