‘23 GA DL Justin Benton

Asked which other teams people should watch closely in his recruitment, he said, “Definitely LSU or Tennessee.”

He visited Tennessee for the first time in January, just a few days after he got his offer from the Vols.

“I just like the family atmosphere they have there, and I like the coaches,” Benton said. “I have a good relationship with the coaches and things like that. … They have a really nice campus. They have really nice facilities, and I just like everything about Tennessee.”
First-year Tennessee outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton is serving as his primary recruiter for the Vols, and Benton said Felton “just loves the physicality of my game.”

Benton already is hoping to make another trip to Tennessee sometime after the ongoing dead period for recruiting.

“I will visit Tennessee again, for sure,” he said.
callahan

“He’s put a lot of good defensive linemen in college in the League,” he said, “so what’s there not to like about him is the question, honestly.

“I really like the new DC (Tim Banks),” Benton added. “I like the family feel and everything. It’s really a good staff. They’ve been on me since I went to IMG.”

Benton said he liked performing inside “beautiful” Neyland Stadium and enjoyed meeting Tennessee’s new coaching staff and others for the first time, and he indicated he “for sure” wants to continue talking with the Vols and potentially return to Knoxville in the future.

“I like the family atmosphere,” he said. “I love the campus, everything, Coach G. There’s nothing like it, really.”

Tennessee hosted Justin Benton on the final weekend before the dead period, and it was an important visit for him to talk with Rodney Garner and learn more about the Vols. Tennessee did not make his initial list of favorites released last year, but he noted the Vols are squarely among his favorites now, and he expects to revisit them later in the Spring or early in the Summer.
- Matt Ray

The move from Florida’s IMG Academy back to Georgia has not detoured college coaches from recruiting Justin Benton. When the lights turn on for Newton High School’s 2022 season, coaches will still be in the stands watching the four-star defensive tackle in action.

In late November, Benton shared his top-10 programs listing Penn State, Mississippi State, Michigan State, North Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, USC, Oregon, Auburn and Miami.

A new challenger to the list is coming on strong out of the SEC. Tennessee got him on campus for a recent visit.

“It went great,” Benton said. “I have a great relationship with coach (Rodney) Garner (DL). “It was a great visit. The hospitality, everyone around the program – it was just great.”

Volunteer fans may see Benton in Knoxville again soon.

“I am planning on going to Penn State, Miami, and back to Tennessee,” Benton shared.

The criteria to be on the list has been a consistent part of Benton’s responses when talking about the various programs.

“Relationships, they are big for me,” Benton shared. “Whoever has a strong relationship with me will be on that list.”

Benton hasn’t put anyone down for an official yet but some of the same teams might be in the running for hosting duties.

“Tennessee, Georgia, Miami, and Penn State are in pushing hard, but I am still in contact with a lot of these coaches,” Benton said. “This will be fun to see what happens.”
- Rivals

VN Store

Back