'20 GA RB Len'Neth Whitehead (UT SIGNEE)

I would rather have a talented kid who is looking to get out of state and see new things and become a well-rounded man and decides to come to Knoxville and be a Vol who then grows to love it here over some kid that happened to grow up here and goes to UT because he can't pull away from his momma's lap, but hey, that's just me.

Reactions: PA Vol
I'm not as convinced. We see our faults because we follow us. But after taking a look at Twitter, etc., for others, we're not as different as folks act like we are. And a lot of Miami types are way worse but don't get drug the way we do.
Didn’t say we were any different. Also said it’s not all deserved. We see ourselves as the best and others don’t. I’m not sure I believe we get that much more attention than others, but when you’ve been down for a solid decade and you still view yourself as a top program and are very vocal about it, you’re going to take some shots, deserved or not.

I’ve been a Vol fan as long as I can remember and personally I have never cared what others say about us.

If they don’t talk about us at all, then we have a problem.....

Reactions: Vol Main
Sorry I crapped in your oatmeal this morning McGill. It honestly was not my intention. I know you’re wound right over recruiting but I didn’t think I was being that rude or over the top.....

As I often do, I thought wrong.

The problem with this class is that 90 percent of the prospects are not only friends that want to play together, but they care more about playing for a playoff contender than they do coaching relationships. These kids are all drama for the most part. I’ll give you a big example: Elias Ricks was (and im dead serious about this) was gonna decide to shut down his recruitment ONLY based on if they had beat Alabama. If they had lost he would have decommitted, and I’ve heard some people say he’s still gonna hold off and sign with whoever wins the national championship. This time last year, Rakim Jarrett was on IG live bragging about how 4 of his top 6 were playoff caliber teams. This class only cares about who the hot team is playoff picture wise. That’s why LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Clemson are getting pretty much all the 5 stars. Usually about half those kids would spread out between schools like Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Texas, FSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, USC, Stanford and us. With the 1 occasional kid going to the oddball school like Iowa or Purdue. They’re not even doing that. Everything between 8-17 in this class is actually pretty close and that’s the range we’ll be in after signing day, but the top 6-7 are loaded. As for A&M, it’s becuase they’re in the middle of Texas and sites are EXTREMELY generous with players from the state as far as their ranking is concerned. Their 7-5 is a whole lot different from ours because 4 of those losses are against teams that could’ve made the CFP. They’ve also recruited the right type of kid as a lot of them are loyal to their word. If LSU goes the usual 9-3, all these kids their getting flip to Alabama or Georgia. We’re gonna pass the schools like UNC, FSU and Penn State and finish around where we did last year, but it’s not this staffs fault they didn’t finish higher. If they were recruiting the 2019 group over again with this season to sell, we finish top 5 because a lot of those kids actually cared about coaching relationships and what school was gonna help them grow. This group only cares about twitter followers and who’s ranked in the top 10. I know there’s kids like that in every class but this time it’s damn near the entire group. I think next year that changes because a lot of the blue chip guys are looking at schools like Texas, Penn State, Washington, etc. and we’ll be able to jump in on those guys easier. Dylan Brooks, Isaiah Johnson, Payton Page, Lee Hunter, Troy Franklin are some big names to watch. It’ll be a whole lot more fun next cycle

Had something typed out. Then work dragged me back in 👌🏼

That's an easy out. Texas especially, is susceptible to exact same influx of folks. So, it cuts both ways.

They also have a way larger pool of talent. So they can lose ___% and still have more than enough.
We lose the same % wise and it cuts deeper.

TX has also been a recruiting hotbed for decade upon decade, VS TN just moving into that category recently. Meaning the influx from other areas has a larger impact here, than a state with multi generations of in state.

Have taken all sorts of factors into consideration and looked at the data behind blue chip statistics along with the longevity statistics.
If you disagree, that's fine. But labeling my comment as "an easy out" because you disagree.. Nah.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
The problem with this class is that 90 percent of the prospects are not only friends that want to play together, but they care more about playing for a playoff contender than they do coaching relationships. These kids are all drama for the most part. I’ll give you a big example: Elias Ricks was (and im dead serious about this) was gonna decide to shut down his recruitment ONLY based on if they had beat Alabama. If they had lost he would have decommitted, and I’ve heard some people say he’s still gonna hold off and sign with whoever wins the national championship. This time last year, Rakim Jarrett was on IG live bragging about how 4 of his top 6 were playoff caliber teams. This class only cares about who the hot team is playoff picture wise. That’s why LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Clemson are getting pretty much all the 5 stars. Usually about half those kids would spread out between schools like Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Texas, FSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, USC, Stanford and us. With the 1 occasional kid going to the oddball school like Iowa or Purdue. They’re not even doing that. Everything between 8-17 in this class is actually pretty close and that’s the range we’ll be in after signing day, but the top 6-7 are loaded. As for A&M, it’s becuase they’re in the middle of Texas and sites are EXTREMELY generous with players from the state as far as their ranking is concerned. Their 7-5 is a whole lot different from ours because 4 of those losses are against teams that could’ve made the CFP. They’ve also recruited the right type of kid as a lot of them are loyal to their word. If LSU goes the usual 9-3, all these kids their getting flip to Alabama or Georgia. We’re gonna pass the schools like UNC, FSU and Penn State and finish around where we did last year, but it’s not this staffs fault they didn’t finish higher. If they were recruiting the 2019 group over again with this season to sell, we finish top 5 because a lot of those kids actually cared about coaching relationships and what school was gonna help them grow. This group only cares about twitter followers and who’s ranked in the top 10. I know there’s kids like that in every class but this time it’s damn near the entire group. I think next year that changes because a lot of the blue chip guys are looking at schools like Texas, Penn State, Washington, etc. and we’ll be able to jump in on those guys easier. Dylan Brooks, Isaiah Johnson, Payton Page, Lee Hunter, Troy Franklin are some big names to watch. It’ll be a whole lot more fun next cycle
giphy (5).gif

Didn’t say we were any different. Also said it’s not all deserved. We see ourselves as the best and others don’t. I’m not sure I believe we get that much more attention than others, but when you’ve been down for a solid decade and you still view yourself as a top program and are very vocal about it, you’re going to take some shots, deserved or not.

I’ve been a Vol fan as long as I can remember and personally I have never cared what others say about us.

If they don’t talk about us at all, then we have a problem.....

Well we agree on how many of our on fans view us but I'm not in that group. Not as shocked as many that we don't compete with Bama and Clemson just because we finally reached a bowl.

But yeah, we're too far apart on the treatment of TN in headlines. The helmet tug just summed it up perfectly for me. We actually receive entire segments for one of the most common coaching actions in history.. tbh, I'd laugh if it didn't kind of suck.

They also have a way larger pool of talent. So they can lose ___% and still have more than enough.
We lose the same % wise and it cuts deeper.

TX has also been a recruiting hotbed for decade upon decade, VS TN just moving into that category recently. Meaning the influx from other areas has a larger impact here, than a state with multi generations of in state.

Have taken all sorts of factors into consideration and looked at the data behind blue chip statistics along with the longevity statistics.
If you disagree, that's fine. But labeling my comment as "an easy out" because you disagree.. Nah.

The whole instate pool of talent advantage is completely overrated. When was the last time the Knoxville area turned out a stud recruit who picked Tennessee? Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers, Cade Mays...they all left. So did Harrison Smith, Brandon Warren (before transferring back), and Randall Cobb. Hell, we can go back to Leroy Thompson in 1986 for this trend. Knoxville kids, if they're highly recruited, seem far more likely to go elsewhere than to UT. Likewise, Tennessee can get a ton of kids from Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas because....newsflash...kids like to leave home to go to college. Tired of people acting like UT is at a recruiting disadvantage because Tennessee doesn't churn out Georgia-level talent.

The whole instate pool of talent advantage is completely overrated. When was the last time the Knoxville area turned out a stud recruit who picked Tennessee? Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers, Cade Mays...they all left. So did Harrison Smith, Brandon Warren (before transferring back), and Randall Cobb. Hell, we can go back to Leroy Thompson in 1986 for this trend. Knoxville kids, if they're highly recruited, seem far more likely to go elsewhere than to UT. Likewise, Tennessee can get a ton of kids from Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas because....newsflash...kids like to leave home to go to college. Tired of people acting like UT is at a recruiting disadvantage because Tennessee doesn't churn out Georgia-level talent.
giphy.gif

That's what I said, isn't it? We don't and have never had the "lockdown the state" talent.. or.. loyalty compared to our rivals. But it would be helpful if we did..do you disagree with that?

y'all, we haven't won **** in the duration of most of these kids lives. when you go dormant for decades at a time, the shine wears off and kids look elsewhere. has happened to literally everyone. seems like we're coming out of it, if they're going to be interested in UT, its mostly because of what the staff is able to sell now, not their proximity to knoxville.

That's what I said, isn't it? We don't and have never had the "lockdown the state" talent.. or.. loyalty compared to our rivals. But it would be helpful if we did..do you disagree with that?

I wasn't disagreeing with you...more like adding to what you said. I suppose it would be helpful. I really think it's more of a proximate thing than an instate thing. And there is plenty of proximate talent to pick from. Hell, a big time recruit from Nashville seems far more likely to pick UT than a big time recruit from Knoxville. With Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta all within UT's wheelhouse, we're not at a disadvantage. It's not like Oklahoma relies on Oklahoma recruits...they rely on proximate talent in Texas.

What I'm saying is, the state lines don't matter. But being within 3-4 hours helps.

Reactions: bignewt
I wasn't disagreeing with you...more like adding to what you said. I suppose it would be helpful. I really think it's more of a proximate thing than an instate thing. And there is plenty of proximate talent to pick from. Hell, a big time recruit from Nashville seems far more likely to pick UT than a big time recruit from Knoxville. With Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta all within UT's wheelhouse, we're not at a disadvantage. It's not like Oklahoma relies on Oklahoma recruits...they rely on proximate talent in Texas.

What I'm saying is, the state lines don't matter. But being within 3-4 hours helps.

I think it sucks a little more right now, just because we've sucked at the exact same moment our talent has increased. Would've been nice to lean on during the rebuild.

I mostly agree on proximity but I know for me and a lot of my friends, we were TN fans as kids because we were from TN. The - us against Ga or Alabama people, type thing.
Same as I was a fan of my county for HS fb, even tho the neighboring county HS is actually closer to me. But screw that county haha.

You forgot Todd Kelly, who was a high 4* and committed. Randall Cobb isn't really fair because he was a low 3* guy who UT and most other SEC schools overlooked.

Cade Mays left because Butch Jones got fired. There are a lot of rumors of well poisoning going on by Butch, which given his character, I wouldn't be hard pressed to believe.

Harrison Smith went to Knox Catholic and Notre Dame was a pretty significant choice for him to be able to make.

You're dead-on about Tee Higgins and Amari Rodgers though.

'Tennessee kids suck at being Tennesseans'. Paints a broad picture. Tighten it up there, Don.

As for fishing talk, was trying to keep it lighthearted. But if you want to be an ass.
I'm an ass? I'm not the one nitpicking your posts...sorry I offended you. Obviously not all kids are like that. It is just something I have said since the Leroy Thompson days...now go fishin or something and get off my back.

You forgot Todd Kelly, who was a high 4* and committed. Randall Cobb isn't really fair because he was a low 3* guy who UT and most other SEC schools overlooked.

Cade Mays left because Butch Jones got fired. There are a lot of rumors of well poisoning going on by Butch, which given his character, I wouldn't be hard pressed to believe.

Harrison Smith went to Knox Catholic and Notre Dame was a pretty significant choice for him to be able to make.

You're dead-on about Tee Higgins and Amari Rodgers though.

Kelly was also headed to Alabama, in spite of being a legacy, if Dooley had remained the head coach. Another reason I simply do not understand why so many fans hate Butch worse than Dooley.

Kelly was also headed to Alabama, in spite of being a legacy, if Dooley had remained the head coach. Another reason I simply do not understand why so many fans hate Butch worse than Dooley.
It's ridiculous.

He’s legitimately interested in acting. He’s involved in his school’s drama program now. Not sure how it’s different than a kid looking at engineering programs if that’s the field they are interested in studying.

I mean if he's legitimately into acting and theatre he should probably go there or USC. But I'd like him here though if he wants more emphasis on football.

y'all, we haven't won **** in the duration of most of these kids lives. when you go dormant for decades at a time, the shine wears off and kids look elsewhere. has happened to literally everyone. seems like we're coming out of it, if they're going to be interested in UT, its mostly because of what the staff is able to sell now, not their proximity to knoxville.

This!

Kids want to play for winners. These top recruits don't want to play for a 6-6 team when they can play for a team consistently in CFP contention. Our problem is we haven't been consistently good in 15 years. Do the math, these kids are 15-18 years old and all they have to remember is Tennessee being mediocre.

VN Store

Back