'22 GA EDGE Joshua Josephs (Tennessee signee)

BOOM!!!!!

candice-patton-iris-west-allem.gif

“Josephs is one of the more intriguing front-seven defenders in the 2022 cycle,” Ivins said. “A bit of a tweener, but has a moldable frame and plenty of length and a quick get-off.

“I think he’s absolutely a guy that will see his body transform a bit once on campus, and in a good way. I’m not sure if he’s ever going to be able to set the edge, but that’s fine because he’s going to be able to get after the quarterback.

“I also still think he’s going to see his body undergo a physical transformation a bit, which could make a difference at the point of attack.”

Ivins said in his official 247Sports evaluation of Josephs that he has a “verified 82-inch wingspan,” and he tested well during the spring of his junior year, posting a 4.3-second shuttle and a 32-inch vertical jump. Ivins added that Josephs is “equipped with a few different pass-rushing moves and has won plenty of times on Friday nights with a simple long arm,” and he “has a chance to be a difference-maker on Saturdays.”

Tennessee extended an offer to Josephs in March and made him one of its top priorities on defense over the past several months. The Vols hosted him on a pair of unofficial visits in June, and he returned to Knoxville the weekend of Oct. 9 on an official visit that allowed him to attend Tennessee’s home game against South Carolina.

Josephs plans to sign with the Vols during the Early Signing Period, which begins Dec. 15. But he recently told GoVols247 that he won’t be graduating early and arriving in January as an early enrollee.

But Ivins said beating out Michigan, Kentucky and others for Josephs is “a quality win” for first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff, and he believes Josephs is capable of making an early impact on the Vols’ defense as he continues to develop physically.

“I’ll be honest: I kind of doubted Josh Heupel as a recruiter when he arrived in Knoxville, but this is a quality win in SEC country,” Ivins said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Josephs emerges as an impact player at some point down the line and is used as a situational rusher early on in his career.”
-Callahan

VN Store

Back