‘23 GA DT Stephiylan Green (Clemson commit)

“I like Tennessee. My top (group) right now would probably be South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee.”

Green, who picked up an offer from the Vols on Jan. 18, said he decided to make the trip to Tennessee last weekend because defensive line coach Rodney Garner “is a great coach, so I just went up there to check it out and stuff like that.” He spent plenty of time with Garner, along with Vols defensive backs coach Willie Martinez, during Saturday’s visit.

“I feel like I built a great relationship with Coach Garner and coach Willie Martinez,” Green said. “Me and Coach Garner, we just had a one-on-one talk, just me and him, and I feel like I know him already. I feel like we’ve got a good relationship. We were talking football, talking about family — everything, really.

“I know his background. I know he’s a great coach. He sends a lot of people to the NFL, to the league. I know a lot about him. And then I know he was at Georgia, so I know he had some dogs going there, going to the league.”

Green said he’s “absolutely” intrigued by the opportunity to play for Garner, a longtime SEC assistant coach who sent a number of defensive linemen to the NFL during his past stints at Georgia and Auburn.

“I feel like anybody that has a lot of experience in coaching, it’s an honor to be coached by them,” Green said, referring to Garner.

The Vols extended an offer to Green on Jan. 18, when Martinez stopped at his school, and Green said Garner had made previous visit to his school. On Friday, Garner made another trip to Rome to check on Green again before the end of the contact period leading up to National Signing Day.

During Saturday’s visit, Garner and Tennessee head coach Josh Heupelexpressed interest in potentially using Green at multiple positions on the defensive line.

“I asked them about what they play and then what (Garner) thinks I would play, but he was like, I’d play, like, strongside defensive end,” Green said. “If I gain more weight — got to, like, 290 — I’d be, like, a combo player. Whatever I’m best at, I’ll play.”

Green said the time he spent with Garner, Martinez, Heupel and the rest of the Vols’ coaches was the highlight of his first trip to Knoxville.

“I feel like I built a great relationship with Coach Garner and coach Willie Martinez,” Green said.

“I talked to the head coach for a little bit. He was asking me how I liked it and stuff like that, and telling me he wanted me to come there.”

After trying on one of Tennessee’s home uniforms for a photo shoot, Green said he also likes “the way the color orange looks on me.”
-Callahan

After trying on one of Tennessee’s home uniforms for a photo shoot, Green said he also likes “the way the color orange looks on me.”

This is the reason UGA and Bama are always dishing crap about Tennessee Orange and White. They call it creamsicle to down play it. AA players look awesome in it. We do not need black or gray. Eat it fashionistas.

From Rivals:

I was tempted to pick Damon Wilson, who I think could still be a riser in the next Rivals250 despite currently sitting just outside the top 50, but Stephiylan Green really deserves more respect in the rankings as an interior defensive lineman. There aren't nearly as many dominant defensive tackles in this class like there were last year with Walter Nolen, Travis Shaw and Bear Alexander but Green has a chance to jump way up in the next rankings update. It's been difficult to really gauge where he is in his development without an up close look at him but that's something we hope to remedy this spring. Green is a bull on film. He has the ability to put even the biggest offensive lineman on skates but he has the quickness and hand techniques to get by the more advanced linemen he faces. Green has the motor and overall speed to chase down ball carriers on short passes or runs to the outside, something not many interior defensive linemen can do.

VN Store

Back