‘23 GA DL Tyree Weathersby (Tennessee)

@allvolrecruiting
This recruit right here is a perfect example of what I've mentioned a few times.
There's just MORE good football players out there.
Truthfully, I don't grasp the scope of how much things have changed myself.
I've not been a scout for 8 years now.

This dude in 2007 would have been an obvious 4 star. Maybe he still becomes that,..
However to the point above - all recruiting services still have the same format of handing out so many spots for star rankings. What if there's only 3 true 5 stars this year? It doesn't matter, they're still going to award 30 kids the ranking of 5 star.

Now go to the opposite end of the question. How many 4 stars are there really? Maybe in 2007 there was truly just 250 kids worth a 4 star ranking. NOW...I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 1,000 kids nationwide that could be a 4 star. You have all these Academys now loading up on star players around the country, and the yet the old state powers from the 1980's - present are STILL strong and talented. In every state.

There is so much football talent now, because more schools have been built. There are 100 million more people in the United States than 25 years ago. Hell, that's when Peyton was playing at UT.
I'm critical of the recruiting services, but I'm also very sympathetic for you guys. You all just simply can't cover them all haha. You just can't properly evaluate enough of them. So you get a kid like Tyree Weathersby, a zero star ranking with SEC offers haha.

Stargazers who don't check out film.

To be fair - none of us check out “film.”

We all just see HUDL, which he highlights, so naturally everyone looks good. Hence the name highlights.

That said - if someone on here is questioning RG when it comes to DL talent then they need a reality check.

We all just see HUDL, which he highlights, so naturally everyone looks good. Hence the name highlights.

That said - if someone on here is questioning RG when it comes to DL talent then they need a reality check.
Hudl is the "film" we usually have access to. But not everyone's highlights are impressive.

200.gif

Hudl is the "film" we usually have access to. But not everyone's highlights are impressive.

I’m just saying, if I got drunk and danced all night; and someone cut up a 3 min highlight of my best dance moves - a lot of people would think this white boy could dance.

This white boy, however, is not a very good dancer.

I’m just saying, if I got drunk and danced all night; and someone cut up a 3 min highlight of my best dance moves - a lot of people would think this white boy could dance.

I get what you're saying, but you would just look like a drunk white dude for 3 minutes to a trained eye. 🤣

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone’s highlight film that didn’t make the player look all world. Who even knows the level of competition they’re playing. It’s like watching the previews of upcoming movies or tv shows. Interesting to watch, but somewhat worthless.

Reactions: Volinnooga
I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone’s highlight film that didn’t make the player look all world. Who even knows the level of competition they’re playing. It’s like watching the previews of upcoming movies or tv shows. Interesting to watch, but somewhat worthless.
I see unimpressive hudl highlights all the time, but I watch a lot of kids highlights. You can also gauge level of competition sometimes by where they play and classification. Like are they playing 7A or 3A in GA for example.

Explosion Feet Hips Hands and attitude. If you have these I can coach you to be SEC level player. From what little I can see Kid has Athletic explosion. Good feet Hips Hands tools that Coach G likes. And he is a grown Man with Attitude. He is a take all day long. In CHRIST Alone

Line forms to the rear.

I see unimpressive hudl highlights all the time, but I watch a lot of kids highlights. You can also gauge level of competition sometimes by where they play and classification. Like are they playing 7A or 3A in GA for example.
That sounds like a lot of work with questionable results.

Any idea on an exact commitment date here? Just have him as SOON on my list thread and would love to get something more concrete.

Tyree Weathersby has been high on Tennessee since visiting the Vols for the first time in early March. His official visit to Knoxville this weekend only improved his opinion of them.

The Class of 2023 defensive lineman from New Manchester High School in Douglasville, Ga., said his weekend stay at Tennessee was “amazing,” and he was impressed with “the energy” he felt there. He said the Vols’ coaches and players made him feel comfortable there, and he made it clear they’re one of the top teams he’s considering.

“I really enjoyed my time here, and it was amazing,” said Weathersby, who has received scholarship offers from more than 20 schools. “The coaches made me feel like family. All the players made me feel like family. They’re very welcoming.

“And then most of the players at my position, they’re leaving, so it’s a perfect opportunity for me to do great.”

The 6-foot-4, 251-pound Weathersby said Tennessee fifth-year senior defensive lineman Maurese Smith served as his player host for the weekend. Weathersby said Smith and the other players he interacted with made him feel comfortable in Knoxville, and the Vols showed him a good time, with the time they spent on the lake standing out as one of the highlights of the visit.

“Man, I loved the energy the players gave you, how we connected,” Weathersby said. “It was never awkward. And then the energy when we were taking pictures (Saturday), it was amazing. I’ve got to come feel the game energy, though. I can’t wait to see that.

“It was really a small thing, but, like, (I enjoyed seeing) the lake. We went on the lake over there, and I really didn’t know y’all had that out here, so I really enjoyed that time on the boat and all that.”

He also likes the setting of Tennessee’s campus and Neyland Stadium, located on the banks of the Tennessee River.

“It’s crazy, man,” Weathersby said. “I know the experience is crazy, especially when the fans come out there during the game time. I can’t wait to feel that energy.”

He said he has developed a strong connection with Tennessee defensive line coach Rodney Garner, a longtime SEC assistant coach who has produced a number of NFL defensive linemen, along with defensive analyst Levorn Harbin.

“Me and Coach Garner, we’ve been talking for about four months, three months now, and I love the relationship,” Weathersby said. “Of course, he coached (in) college for years — about 20 (NFL) players, 30 players, something like that — so he’s definitely got the experience I need to do great, and I feel like he can make me a first-rounder wherever I need to go.

“He loves my finesse, my speed, my power, how I come from a speed rush to a power rush, so he definitely enjoys that.”

Tennessee has made Weathersby a priority since extending an offer to him more than five months ago. He said the Vols “definitely said I can step in and help early,” adding that they told him “they need some more ends.”

“I’m playing D-end strictly, so I’m most likely going to be a strongside,” he said. “I ain’t going to be no Leo or nothing like that, because I’m already, like, 250. Of course, they’re just going to put weight on me.”

Weathersby picked up his latest offer from South Carolina on June 16, the same day he participated in one of the Gamecocks’ camps. He also holds offers from Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri, Michigan State, Indiana, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

He said he’s currently working toward a likely summer decision.
-Callahan

VN Store

Back