‘23 GA DL TJ Searcy (Florida commit)

Get em coach Gardner m. These are the type of guys we need to land in the next class or two so we can add very competitive depth for the long haul, redshirt and let Coach G get him to be a top 10 DT in the conference. I like the way the offers of the ‘23 class look we could add some serious depth and talent up front 🍊

Per what?

Callahan, plus the fact he's got 3 OVs elsewhere this month and we haven't been mentioned as a possibility for him in a while.

"Haven't heard anything on Searcy making it back to Knoxville soon. Seems like Tennessee has fallen behind a few other teams in that one, but he has visited the Vols twice, so I wouldn't rule out that he could visit again."

Callahan, plus the fact he's got 3 OVs elsewhere this month and we haven't been mentioned as a possibility for him in a while.

"Haven't heard anything on Searcy making it back to Knoxville soon. Seems like Tennessee has fallen behind a few other teams in that one, but he has visited the Vols twice, so I wouldn't rule out that he could visit again."
Thanks.. I hope he makes it back if we are still after him

Reactions: jvols1999
Thanks.. I hope he makes it back if we are still after him

So I (and Callahan) was wrong, looks like he’ll be taking an OV here next weekend per his exit interview after his UF visit. Was just at Clemson and UF the last 2 weekends and will go to Cocksville the week after he’s here (talk about a comedown). Nice little turn of events…

TJ Searcy. How we doing there?

-AP

IMO he hasn't seemed wowed by any of his visits so far - seems like the door is open here especially since he's been here 2x already and purposely moved his OV up to make it happen before a summer decision.

Notably, he's On3's #49 overall prospect vs #188 by 247 (still very good) and #153 composite.

Last edited:
After visiting Tennessee for the first time in March and returning less than six weeks later, T.J. Searcy knew that he wanted to use one of his official visits to return to Knoxville later this year. He recently decided to take another look at the Vols sooner than he originally planned.

The four-star Class of 2023 defensive lineman from Upson-Lee High School in Thomaston, Ga., confirmed to GoVols247 on Monday that he's scheduled to take an official visit to Tennessee this weekend. It will be his third official visit in as many weekends and his third trip to Knoxville in a little more than three months.

The 6-foot-5, 248-pound Searcy said he initially planned to travel to Tennessee on an official visit in December. But after setting his sights on making his college decision this summer, he chose to move up his planned visit with the Vols.

"I just scheduled it not too long ago," said Searcy, who's ranked the No. 153 overall prospect and No. 20 defensive lineman in the 2023 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. "I already knew that they were going to have one of my officials, but it was already scheduled for December. But I'm trying to make my decision a little earlier, so I moved it up."

Searcy made his first trip to Tennessee on March 4, and the Vols hosted him again April 14 for their final scrimmage of the spring. They're one of at least a handful of teams he's still considering, and he said they impressed him during his first two visits to Knoxville.

"You can definitely just tell they're on the rise," he said. "They have a lot of great recruits that's committed in my class."

South Carolina still is scheduled to host him on an official visit the weekend of June 24 following his trip to Tennessee this weekend. He said he currently doesn't plan to use his fifth and final official visit this summer.

"It ain't going to be this summer, but I might take my fifth one," he said. "But I don't know."

The Vols are talking with Searcy "every couple days," he said, led by defensive line coach Rodney Garner and defensive analyst Levorn Harbin.
"Coach 'Chop,' he's just a great guy. He's got great energy," Searcy said of Harbin. "And then Coach G, he's a legend."

When he returns to Tennessee this weekend, he said he's hoping to get a better feel for what it might be like to play for second-year Vols head coach Josh Heupel's staff.

"I'm really just looking forward to kind of talking with the players a little bit, seeing how they feel about the program, the direction of it," Searcy said.

While he expects to announce his college decision this summer, he's not sure exactly when he will be ready to pick a school.

"I don't know," Searcy said. "I just know sometime before the season starts."
-Callahan

VN Store

Back