‘23 GA DL Tavion Gadson

Part of me wonders if Garner being such an old school coach has something to do with why we don't have guys lined up out the door to play for him despite his reputation. Price and Hubbs were already joking today about how our new guys got their first real taste of him today at practice. It's no secret that this new generation of players is becoming soft and more sensitive to criticism. I'm not in the Rodney Garner can't recruit or develop camp by any means cause that is laughable, but it is something that's crossed my mind.

I know Rick Barnes is very similar and is why we recruit from such a limited pool of blue chip guys for basketball.
I am all in with Garner, he will make who plays for him better. I expect improvement just from the ones we have on roster now. Once we make another jump in the win column this year things will get a little more easy. He has went after top players, he will land his share. He knows what it takes, there are no shortcuts. This years crop of DT’s is thin but I expect a few players to really emerge their senior year. There is nothing wrong with Garner or his approach. GBO!

I am all in with Garner, he will make who plays for him better. I expect improvement just from the ones we have on roster now. Once we make another jump in the win column this year things will get a little more easy. He has went after top players, he will land his share. He knows what it takes, there are no shortcuts. This years crop of DT’s is thin but I expect a few players to really emerge their senior year. There is nothing wrong with Garner or his approach. GBO!
Agree 100%. Garner is someone who should retire in Knoxville.

yeah, 100%.

Same for Martinez

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The Class of 2023 defensive lineman from Jenkins High School in Savannah, Ga., said he’s not sure exactly when he will make his choice. But he said he intends to reveal his commitment “just in the next couple days.”

“It was good. I enjoyed it,” said Gadson, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 53 defensive lineman in the 2023 class and the No. 43 rising senior from the state of Georgia.

“I got to see more stuff,” Gadson said. “I was there longer. I got to see more of their facilities, more of their campus, learn a little more about the school, talk with more people, like player development, the nutritionist and the academic guys.”

“I’m putting a little more things together,” he said. “A couple more thoughts were going into my mind when I left Tennessee (on Saturday).”

Before his trip to Tennessee, Gadson said he expected to make his decision “between (July) 31st and, like, (August) 2nd.” Regardless of whether he sticks to that exact timeline, he plans to pick a school soon.
r.callahan

Blame the parents. I’ve coached football and baseball for the last nine years. It’s the parents, not the kids.
It’s the #1 reason I got out of coaching. I loved it. The kids were great. The parents were horrendous. Had a parent follow my pregnant wife to her car screaming at her over playing time. Too many parents want to live vicariously through their kids lives.

It’s the #1 reason I got out of coaching. I loved it. The kids were great. The parents were horrendous. Had a parent follow my pregnant wife to her car screaming at her over playing time. Too many parents want to live vicariously through their kids lives.
Ought to try teaching their little geniuses.

Ought to try teaching their little geniuses.

I do that, too. From my experience, it varies from kid to kid. Some might be awesome in the classroom but annoying as can be on the field and some are studs on the field but are a distraction in the classroom.

I’ve found you can reason with a parent over academic performance more than you can with playing time.

I do that, too. From my experience, it varies from kid to kid. Some might be awesome in the classroom but annoying as can be on the field and some are studs on the field but are a distraction in the classroom.

I’ve found you can reason with a parent over academic performance more than you can with playing time.
Sadly it’s bc they care less about academics a lot of the time. Most parents aren’t imagining their kid can be the next Albert Einstein instead are thinking he’s the next Tom Brady.

VN Store

Back