‘23 GA DL Tavion Gadson

TAVION GADSON, 2023 DL
The Deep South provides countless high-major prospects across the positional spectrum who seem to pop up out of nowhere with time, but especially along the line of scrimmage. Tavion Gadson from Savannah (Ga.) Jenkins represents the latest of such prospect. While his size is not yet verified, Gadson is believed to reside in the 6-foot-5, 265-pound range and assembled an encouraging junior season along Jenkins' defensive front.
Gadson -- an initial high three-star 88 -- finished 2021 with 60 tackles, six sacks, and three forced fumbles, plus some limited snaps at tight end (one catch for 15 yards). Basketball adds some multi-sport context to Gadson's profile. A big-bodied fluid mover, Gadson -- who averaged 4.3 points and 6.5 rebounds this year -- should present plenty of developmental upside over the next few years.

Now has decided to visit here unofficially. Seems like a good change of plans from our perspective...

Looks like his FSU OV now moved to the 24th, with the Minnesota OV still set for 6/10. Hope we can get him here unofficially this coming month and keep ourselves in contention with an OV left...

Reactions: hooter vol
Will be here Friday on an UV per Callahan. Also planning to visit Kentucky this week and took an OV to Minnesota last weekend. Scheduled to OV FSU next weekend. Camped at UGA, who's also offered, 2 weeks ago.

Interestingly, "he hasn't ruled out using his three remaining official visits at some point. He said he will "probably taking some in the fall...but his plan for now, he said, is "to commit at the end of the summer — like, (July) 31st, maybe, (or) early August, if it comes down to it."

So hard to say what his plans are. Sort of like Justin Jefferson, he might make a decision this summer having taken only an UV here, which usually doesn't bode well.

Tennessee and Georgia joined the race for Tavion Gadson on the same day a little more than a month ago. He's now getting ready to take his first look at the Vols later this week.

The Class of 2023 defensive lineman from Jenkins High School in Savannah, Ga., told GoVols247 that he's scheduled to travel to Tennessee on Friday for an unofficial visit with the Vols. It will be the first trip to Knoxville for Gadson, who has received scholarship offers from more than 20 schools.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Gadson told 247Sports' Chris Nee on Tuesday that he's also planning to visit Kentucky this week in addition to stopping at Tennessee, which extended an offer to him on May 11. Gadson traveled to Minnesota last weekend on his first official visit, and he's scheduled to take an official visit to Florida State next weekend.

He recently told GoVols247 that he was planning to visit the Vols "at the end of July." But he now has decided to move up his planned trip to Tennessee to this month after staying in contact with the Vols over the past several weeks.

Gadson said last week that he had been in contact Tennessee "a little bit — maybe a couple times a week" — led by defensive analyst Levorn Harbin. Gadson said the Vols have told him that they "mainly" decided to offer him because "I can move or whatever for my size."

Later this week, he will get a chance to see for himself what Tennessee has to offer.

"I don't too much know about it, other than what the coaches say," said Gadson, who's ranked by 247Sports as the No. 50 defensive lineman in the 2023 class and the No. 41 rising senior from the state of Georgia. "So, when I go up there, it'll be a good thing to do — check it out and see what it's about."

Gadson said he doesn't "necessarily know" yet exactly which position the Vols might envision him playing on the defensive line. He said Tennessee's staff has told him that the Vols have "a good program or whatever," and he could "be a dog up there and stuff like that."

Last week, Gadson told GoVols247 that "Florida State, for sure," was the team recruiting him hardest and the program standing out most to him at the time. But he added that he was "still open" and not rushing to decide on a college.

Minnesota, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and Kentucky are among the other schools that have stayed in contact with him. He said he visited the Bulldogs on June 1 to participate in one of their camps and spend time with Georgia coach Kirby Smart's staff.

While Gadson only plans to take a second official visit before the end of the month, he hasn't ruled out using his three remaining official visits at some point. He said he will "probably taking some in the fall."

But his plan for now, he said, is "to commit at the end of the summer — like, (July) 31st, maybe, (or) early August, if it comes down to it."

As Gadson continues exploring his list of college choices, he said he's confident in his ability to "make playing time" for himself. He said he's focused on finding a coaching staff with "integrity" at a program "where I can see them and they're doing what they say they're doing, basically."

"Not where they're just telling me and showing me when they're in my face," he added, "but when they don't know I'm looking at them, and they're doing what they do, basically, checking out how that is."
-Callahan

Even if we get Osborne, we need more DL. Wonder if we have any chance with this kid?

Kid moves like an athletic Offensive lineman.
So much talent in GA

Honestly I'd take that right now. Pair those two with Weathersby, Robinson, and (maybe) Duncan and while we'd not have a Clemson-type DL haul it would be 4-5 legit SEC DL prospects which is more than we've signed in years (last year was 3 total, 2021 class had ONE in late add Amari McNeill, 2020 had 4 in Thomas, Baron, Eason, and Bailey).

That would be a major step in the right direction.

Honestly I'd take that right now. Pair those two with Weathersby, Robinson, and (maybe) Duncan and while we'd not have a Clemson-type DL haul it would be 4-5 legit SEC DL prospects which is more than we've signed in years (last year was 3 total, 2021 class had ONE in late add Amari McNeill, 2020 had 4 in Thomas, Baron, Eason, and Bailey).

That would be a major step in the right direction.
"Signed in more years". Well sure, but is volume of signees of ultimate importance though? Each signee in one unit takes away a potential spot from another unit. I'd look at quality. While our rating may be slightly higher than 2 of the last 3 years, the competition for offers has been much lower. Take away these last 2 (potential) commits and our other 3 DL recruits (Robinson, Weathersby, and Duncan) would have a scary low 3 big time offers (blue bloods + recent winner P5 types) in grand total.

Past class DL units were beating out a good share of other major programs. Regardless, the 2 additional guys would be a great boost. They each have more big time offers individually than the original 3 commits combined. Also possible some guys get really late offers down the stretch, but at this point it'd seem limited.

If we do land the last 2:

Average rating 89.4
Average # of big time offers 2.6

Average rating 88.7
Average number of big time offers 5.3

Strange year due to 2 transfers (can't see offers) and only 1 HS player
Average rating 86.2
Average number of big time offers 5.0- from lone HS recruit

Average rating 91.8
Average number of big time offers 7.8

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
"Signed in more years". Well sure, but is volume of signees of ultimate importance though? Each signee in one unit takes away a potential spot from another unit. I'd look at quality. While our rating may be slightly higher than 2 of the last 3 years, the competition for offers has been much lower. Take away these last 2 (potential) commits and our other 3 DL recruits (Robinson, Weathersby, and Duncan) would have a scary low 3 big time offers (blue bloods + recent winner P5 types) in grand total.

Past class DL units were beating out a good share of other major programs. Regardless, the 2 additional guys would be a great boost. They each have more big time offers individually than the original 3 commits combined. Also possible some guys get really late offers down the stretch, but at this point it'd seem limited.

If we do land the last 2:

Average rating 89.4
Average # of big time offers 2.6

Average rating 88.7
Average number of big time offers 5.3

Strange year due to 2 transfers (can't see offers) and only 1 HS player
Average rating 86.2
Average number of big time offers 5.0- from lone HS recruit

Average rating 91.8
Average number of big time offers 7.8

Stipulating that you always want elite players but that elite DL are arguably the hardest position to land, IMO, especially with a HOF teacher/developer in Garner, quantity is of utmost importance. You need a ton of them - both to rotate during games/the season but also to give yourself more chance to hit it big, and we simply don't have enough of them right now. So signing upwards of 5-6 would, again JMO, be a big step in and of itself.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

VN Store

Back