'19 GA DB Jammie Robinson (FSU)

They were pulling to the right. Kennedy was not taking the guy in front of him. Carvin the guard did not pull right to take the Nose. It’s pretty simple.
Carvin wasn't on the field

The OL consisted of:

LT Trey Smith (#73)
LG Jahmir Johnson (#58)
C Brandon Kennedy (#55)
RG Ryan Johnson (#70)
RT Drew Richmond (#51)

Mistake #1: Ryan Johnson shoots up field with a DT shooting the A gap... if he's gonna do that, he should at least chip the DT so Kennedy has a chance to make the block...
... Which gave way to Mistake #2: DT swims around Kennedy barely touched...
... Which made Possible Mistake #3 irrelevant: Jahmir Johnson was supposed to pull... Wouldn't have mattered because the QB was on his ass by the time he would have been there, as the DT came through clean...

Bottom line... if that was supposed to be a pull, then the DT was Kennedy's man to hold off until Johnson got there to finish the block... he did not... hence...

He gave up an egregious sack his first play

Regardless... there shouldn't ever be 3 concurrent mistakes from an offensive line on the same play in D1 football...

I'm tired of discussing this play lol... it's plain as day to see, the tape is right there... I don't know why there's so much pushback from stating the obvious that Kennedy missed a block the first play of last season o_O

They were pulling to the right. Kennedy was not taking the guy in front of him. Carvin the guard did not pull right to take the Nose. It’s pretty simple.
So simple that you got the directions wrong, got the name of the RG wrong, and misused the word pulling 😜

Seriously though, pulling is when an OL moves parallel to the LOS to block someone lined up on the other side of the line or (or sometimes someone lined up outside like a DB or LB). This was very clearly not an example of a pull by anyone on the OL.

Also, we really don’t know what their exact assignments were.

Usually on plays like this (where it seems like the DT is lined head up over the C and most of the OL is blocking to the left), the C and RG would start off on a combo block on the DT, the C would climb to pick up a LB, and then the RG would take over blocking the DT. If the play was designed for the C not to touch the DT and the RG to have to take him on alone, then it would be a very, very poorly designed play. But we saw this kind of blocking scheme throughout the year, so maybe Helton just doesn’t have a great understanding of how OLs work.

Edit: oops, misread your post here. My bad.

Highly, highly doubtful that was supposed to be a pull by the LG there, though. You usually see teams pull to block guys lined up head up or outside of OGs. Rarely, if ever, do you pull to block someone lined up head up on the C.

Additionally, it would be even stranger to do on a quick hitting pass play or RPO (which this play seems to be, since most of the OL blocks downfield). You have to leave a guy unblocked when you pull, and leaving the closest defender to the QB unblocked on a play with such a shallow drop back would be really, really dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Carvin wasn't on the field

The OL consisted of:

LT Trey Smith (#73)
LG Jahmir Johnson (#58)
C Brandon Kennedy (#55)
RG Ryan Johnson (#70)
RT Drew Richmond (#51)

Mistake #1: Ryan Johnson shoots up field with a DT shooting the A gap... if he's gonna do that, he should at least chip the DT so Kennedy has a chance to make the block...
... Which gave way to Mistake #2: DT swims around Kennedy barely touched...
... Which made Possible Mistake #3 irrelevant: Jahmir Johnson was supposed to pull... Wouldn't have mattered because the QB was on his ass by the time he would have been there, as the DT came through clean...

Bottom line... if that was supposed to be a pull, then the DT was Kennedy's man to hold off until Johnson got there to finish the block... he did not... hence...

Regardless... there shouldn't ever be 3 concurrent mistakes from an offensive line on the same play in D1 football...

I'm tired of discussing this play lol... it's plain as day to see, the tape is right there... I don't know why there's so much pushback from stating the obvious that Kennedy missed a block the first play of last season o_O

Lol sorry thought it was Carvin, I didn’t rewatch it before I posted. But I watched that game about 4 times. All lineman were blocking right and the LG blocked straight up.

So simple that you got the directions wrong, got the name of the RG wrong, and misused the word pulling 😜

Seriously though, pulling is when an OL moves parallel to the LOS to block someone lined up on the other side of the line or (or sometimes someone lined up outside like a DB or LB). This was very clearly not an example of a pull by anyone on the OL.

Also, we really don’t know what their exact assignments were.

Usually on plays like this (where it seems like the DT is lined head up over the C and most of the OL is blocking to the left), the C and RG would start off on a combo block on the DT, the C would climb to pick up a LB, and then the RG would take over blocking the DT. If the play was designed for the C not to touch the DT and the RG to have to take him on alone, then it would be a very, very poorly designed play. But we saw this kind of blocking scheme throughout the year, so maybe Helton just doesn’t have a great understanding of how OLs work.

Edit: oops, misread your post here. My bad.

Highly, highly doubtful that was supposed to be a pull by the LG there, though. You usually see teams pull to block guys lined up head up or outside of OGs. Rarely, if ever, do you pull to block someone lined up head up on the C.

Additionally, it would be even stranger to do on a quick hitting pass play or RPO (which this play seems to be, since most of the OL blocks downfield). You have to leave a guy unblocked when you pull, and leaving the closest defender to the QB unblocked on a play with such a shallow drop back would be really, really dumb.

Look, I might have used an incorrect term. The line was blocking to the right. That was how the play was designed.

In the picture you see we had their initial formation outnumbered. 7F031F01-D21E-4C54-B0E6-B24DC28F3E04.jpeg

The line got lost when they brought the linebackers down and blitzed of the left side.

68B162E1-8B85-4804-A4EB-E47B2A1A55A0.png

The left guard was supposed to block the guy over the top of Kennedy. He ended up picking up one of the LBs blitzing which is what the TE was waiting to pick up. Also it looks like the RT got beat and allowed his man to get inside of him which also is an issue. The RG also climbed on a RPO when he should have sat notice he is 3 yds down field blocking what looks to be a LB. This whole blocking scheme is messed up at this point.

Look, I might have used an incorrect term. The line was blocking to the right. That was how the play was designed.

In the picture you see we had their initial formation outnumbered. View attachment 191989

The line got lost when they brought the linebackers down and blitzed of the left side.

View attachment 191990

The left guard was supposed to block the guy over the top of Kennedy. He ended up picking up one of the LBs blitzing which is what the TE was waiting to pick up. Also it looks like the RT got beat and allowed his man to get inside of him which also is an issue. The RG also climbed on a RPO when he should have sat notice he is 3 yds down field blocking what looks to be a LB. This whole blocking scheme is messed up at this point.
If this play doesn't get blown up,and the WR makes one man miss, he's off to the races

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

In the picture you see we had their initial formation outnumbered. View attachment 191989

View attachment 191990

So... what you're saying is.... when you're blocking "to the right", as you put it... and a DT lines up on the nose, shaded to the right, and shoots the A-gap to the right of the Center....

that the Left Guard... Jahmir Johnson... who wasn't supposed to pull... is responsible for that DT

... that Kennedy was to block right as well, but was not responsible for the DT that was shooting the A gap directly in front of him to his right....

tenor.gif

Reactions: Darth_Shiveman

View attachment 191990

Absolutely 0% chance the LG was supposed to pull and block the guy lined head up over the C on an RPO play like this. No coach at any level of football would draw up a play like that.

The DT there should have been picked up by either the C, the RG, or some combination of the two on a combo block with one climbing to get a LB.

Absolutely 0% chance the LG was supposed to pull and block the guy lined head up over the C on an RPO play like this. No coach at any level of football would draw up a play like that.

The DT there should have been picked up by either the C, the RG, or some combination of the two on a combo block with one climbing to get a LB.

Kennedy was the one climbing. So I dunno what happening lol. Maybe the RG and C both messed up?

If the rumors are true about Toot and Russell, I gotta think Jammie is going to end up a Vol. What u all think ?

If the rumors are true about Toot and Russell, I gotta think Jammie is going to end up a Vol. What u all think ?
I really hope so. I’d take Jammie and Pickens over Toot/Russell. Seems like all the talk is that we’re too little too late on Jammie tho.

If we miss on HT I sincerely hope that we have this kid on standby waiting for his spot before he signs with USCe. I know a lot would settle for just Wright and save the spots for next years class but this kid is physically ready to play right now and is scholarship worthy all day long. JMO

recent Rivals article quotes him as committing already to coaches at school of his choice. It is rumored he attend USC 2 weeks ago after visiting UT to commit to the Gamecocks and shoot his commitment video at the New ops facility.

Reactions: volme

VN Store

Back