'19 GA CB Warren Burrell (Tennessee signee)

Taking an OV to UT next weekend

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Isn’t he a guy rumored or he himself said he will make a decision soon? Might be a case of get him in now before he commits elsewhere.

We used the early OV on Bogle and it seemed to have paid off. He is/was very high on us after his visit and plans to come back this summer.

Just noting it’s an interesting technique we haven’t seen in the past. It looks like Florida is also using an OV on him the next week.

Get in on him early...or not at all. Think that’s the mindset.

It’s still a slightly bold strategy when the norm has been to get the last OV. Let’s see how it plays out.

I like bold. Many variables at play. Some kids want to commit after summer and get it over with to focus on their senior season. So maybe they get their OV’s out of the way early? Maybe they’re far away and it’s a good strategy to get them in early, like the kids in FL and Texas who OV’d this spring. It’s a new rule, should take a couple years to work it out.

Reactions: 1 person
Isn’t he a guy rumored or he himself said he will make a decision soon? Might be a case of get him in now before he commits elsewhere.

We used the early OV on Bogle and it seemed to have paid off. He is/was very high on us after his visit and plans to come back this summer.

Yes he is committing in August

I like bold. Many variables at play. Some kids want to commit after summer and get it over with to focus on their senior season. So maybe they get their OV’s out of the way early? Maybe they’re far away and it’s a good strategy to get them in early, like the kids in FL and Texas who OV’d this spring. It’s a new rule, should take a couple years to work it out.

I agree and I think this is better for the kids making a decision. Even more, with only 5 OV’s, getting in early guarantees we get one.

This kid can be an elite corner. Thought he was UGA bound... if we land him... that would be huge.

Why we're doing it so early

Tennessee’s coaches continue their search for cornerbacks in the 2019 recruiting class. One of their top targets is zeroing in on a commitment date sometime later this summer, and he’s planning on taking his first official visit of his recruitment to Tennessee.

Warren Burrell is a 6-foot, 170 pound corner from Suwanee, Georgia. He included the Vols in his top seven teams earlier this month, and now he’s planning on taking an official visit to Tennessee according to 247Sports. This would be Burrell’s first official visit of his recruitment, and he plans on coming in next weekend at the beginning of June. He reportedly plans to use his second official visit to go to Florida.

-RockyTopInsider

JP and Mullen haven't gone head to head on many recruits yet. I'll be interested to see how this one goes. My money is on JP.

As a player, Burrell presents a lot of upside. Coaches recognized him as 1st-team all-state for his performance in his junior season at North Gwinnett High School. At 6-foot, 170 pounds, he doesn’t have bad size either. With a 4.53 40 time, he has the speed to cover faster receivers. He is a player that might end up a better safety than corner in college, but he has solid skills as a defensive back regardless of position.

Burrell has great hips and is a very fluid athlete, and he has elite ball skills as well. A corner that can read the ball in the air and go make a play on it is incredibly valuable to a team, and he can do just that. Time and time again on his film he can be seen tracking the ball and reaching it at its highest point. Tackling is not a concern for him either. It isn’t necessarily a strength of his, but it certainly isn’t a weakness. One concern is his physicality at the line of scrimmage. He is rarely seen playing up on receivers, and with his somewhat average strength, it’s fair to wonder whether he can be successful in press coverage.

-N. Rutherford
Vols to Host Georgia Cornerback on Official Visit | Rocky Top Insider

As a player, Burrell presents a lot of upside. Coaches recognized him as 1st-team all-state for his performance in his junior season at North Gwinnett High School. At 6-foot, 170 pounds, he doesn’t have bad size either. With a 4.53 40 time, he has the speed to cover faster receivers. He is a player that might end up a better safety than corner in college, but he has solid skills as a defensive back regardless of position.

Burrell has great hips and is a very fluid athlete, and he has elite ball skills as well. A corner that can read the ball in the air and go make a play on it is incredibly valuable to a team, and he can do just that. Time and time again on his film he can be seen tracking the ball and reaching it at its highest point. Tackling is not a concern for him either. It isn’t necessarily a strength of his, but it certainly isn’t a weakness. One concern is his physicality at the line of scrimmage. He is rarely seen playing up on receivers, and with his somewhat average strength, it’s fair to wonder whether he can be successful in press coverage.

-N. Rutherford
Vols to Host Georgia Cornerback on Official Visit | Rocky Top Insider
I completely agree with this article. However, you are looking for mentality whenever you discuss physicality of a corner. They played him in off because of his ranginess. Can he tackle? Yes. I firmly believe he is a 3 spot player.

I completely agree with this article. However, you are looking for mentality whenever you discuss physicality of a corner. They played him in off because of his ranginess. Can he tackle? Yes. I firmly believe he is a 3 spot player.

In the spring game against Laniermore times than not he was on the los. Stewart likes to blitz A LOT with a safety and linebacker so last year the corners were playing soft most plays.

VN Store

Back