'21 GA CB Nyland Green (UGA commit)

Not to be argumentative on this, but...there have always been great players. Great coaches and institutions (not the NCAA) have been what has made college football great imo. They've been the ones that have made the names for college football.

There are a lot of great college football players who suck in the NFL. There are a lot of college football players (Alvin Kamara is one of the best, most recent examples) who don't have great college stats, but become an NFL phenom.

Players come and go every 3 to (up to) 5 years. Coaches...and in the long term, Universities decisions on hiring coaches is what has made college football great, along with the amateur athlete.

JMO of course.
In efforts to not beat a dead horse, we can agree to disagree. I’m lost on your argument when we start having crazy tv deals that pay a school 30+ million and coaches making 5+ million. I’m in complete agreement in regards to high school or lower tiered division. But when it comes to power 5 football and basketball, they should be paid because to me they aren’t “amateurs” at that point.

Reactions: NochNoch
Literally everything about big time college football equals big business. Everything. Except for the fact that players can’t get paid. It’s an absolute joke to say they are amateurs in any way whatsoever.

As for specifics, obviously more analysis would need to be completed. I didn’t come prepared to a college football message board with a business plan. I’m just telling you they should be getting paid.

And I’m not forgetting any of that stuff. AD’s make a sh*t ton of money, coaches make millions, schools make millions from players, and fans - just like pro sports - can choose to vote with their wallets. None of that changes if players are given a piece of the pie. I’m not saying they should make millions in college, but they should absolutely be able to negotiate a share of the earnings. I mean seriously at this point they can’t even make money from their OWN name/image/likeness. What a crock of sh*t.

You seem to forget that without elite players, none of this is possible. Less people would go to games, less people would watch on tv leading to smaller tv contracts (see my earlier reference to NAIA football or a team like Charlotte), coaches would make less money, AD’s would make less money, schools would make less money.

Players aren’t the only piece of the puzzle, but they are the most important piece. If there was a viable option for players to go straight from HS to a league where they could get paid, you can bet your azz colleges would pony up some Benjamins in a hurry to try and convince them to go to their school instead. Because again, without the players, this whole thing falls apart.

Not going to get political, but I'm going to steal a quote from a politician, "You didn't build that". Athletes did not build college or even professional sports. It wasn't their money that was invested, or that grew the business. They are very much the product that is being sold, but they didn't develop the overall product. As I said previously, I'm not against some kind of equity, but as you accuse others of forgetting, you seem to forget as well. Athletes play the game, but the overall spectacle was developed and funded by others. My lord, wouldn't it be nice to get paid to play a game? I was great and hide and seek as a kid, but never earned a penny off of it. Seriously, I understand these athletes are talented, and I understand they put their bodies on the line, and I understand they push a high revenue industry, but that industry didn't just pop up overnight. Lots of money has been invested and as any businessman knows, investors expect returns. Sports and acting are unique industries, where people seem to find it acceptable for the workers to demand and get more. Hell, no one puts more on the line than soldiers, but you don't see them holding out for bigger contracts, and if they did, I doubt many would defend them like they do athletes. Nurses, firemen, police...you don't see people screaming they deserve to be paid millions for doing their job. So why do we do it for athletes, or coaches even? It's a damn game. Yes, a game we all love, but still just a game. I think a lot of people lose sight of that.

Not going to get political, but I'm going to steal a quote from a politician, "You didn't build that". Athletes did not build college or even professional sports. It wasn't their money that was invested, or that grew the business. They are very much the product that is being sold, but they didn't develop the overall product. As I said previously, I'm not against some kind of equity, but as you accuse others of forgetting, you seem to forget as well. Athletes play the game, but the overall spectacle was developed and funded by others. My lord, wouldn't it be nice to get paid to play a game? I was great and hide and seek as a kid, but never earned a penny off of it. Seriously, I understand these athletes are talented, and I understand they put their bodies on the line, and I understand they push a high revenue industry, but that industry didn't just pop up overnight. Lots of money has been invested and as any businessman knows, investors expect returns. Sports and acting are unique industries, where people seem to find it acceptable for the workers to demand and get more. Hell, no one puts more on the line than soldiers, but you don't see them holding out for bigger contracts, and if they did, I doubt many would defend them like they do athletes. Nurses, firemen, police...you don't see people screaming they deserve to be paid millions for doing their job. So why do we do it for athletes, or coaches even? It's a damn game. Yes, a game we all love, but still just a game. I think a lot of people lose sight of that.

Know who else didn’t build it? Coaches. Their money wasn’t used to build this sport. My lord, wouldn’t it be nice to get paid (and not just paid, but PAID) to coach a game? I mean I drew up plays in my backyard as a kid for football, basketball, baseball, dodgeball, kickball and never earned a penny from it.

Without the athletes, there is no sport. Unless you wanna pay money to watch NAIA level talent play on Saturdays.

Also, football players aren’t civil servants, however, I’d be all for firemen/police getting paid more.

And for the record, I’m of the crowd that say teachers should be paid handsomely. Why on earth we pay politicians more than teachers is beyond me. Switching their salaries would be a good start. Elected officials are supposed to serve the people. It doesn’t take their current salaries and perks to adequately serve the people.

Know who else didn’t build it? Coaches. Their money wasn’t used to build this sport. My lord, wouldn’t it be nice to get paid (and not just paid, but PAID) to coach a game? I mean I drew up plays in my backyard as a kid for football, basketball, baseball, dodgeball, kickball and never earned a penny from it.

Without the athletes, there is no sport. Unless you wanna pay money to watch NAIA level talent play on Saturdays.

Also, football players aren’t civil servants, however, I’d be all for firemen/police getting paid more.

And for the record, I’m of the crowd that say teachers should be paid handsomely. Why on earth we pay politicians more than teachers is beyond me. Switching their salaries would be a good start. Elected officials are supposed to serve the people. It doesn’t take their current salaries and perks to adequately serve the people.
I'm gonna assume you didn't read my entire post, and just mad posted because I disagreed with you. If you had read my entire post, you would have seen where I mention coaches are overpaid as well. Funny thing, I bet you could find people to play the game for less. They wouldn't be as good, but they'd still go out and play. Most people I know would love to get paid league minimum just to play a game. JMO, but the constant fights over money rob a lot of joy from the game.

I'm gonna assume you didn't read my entire post, and just mad posted because I disagreed with you. If you had read my entire post, you would have seen where I mention coaches are overpaid as well. Funny thing, I bet you could find people to play the game for less. They wouldn't be as good, but they'd still go out and play. Most people I know would love to get paid league minimum just to play a game. JMO, but the constant fights over money rob a lot of joy from the game.

I read the whole post but saying players shouldn’t get paid or not paid a lot bc “coaches are also overpaid” isn’t a good argument. Coaching salaries aren’t going to get smaller, only bigger. So while it may be true they’re overpaid, that does nothing to rectify the situation for the players. Plus they didn’t invest their money, so I used them as an example.

If you wanna go drop a bunch of money off at Walter Camp’s grave then ok. But everyone else involved in the sport at the collegiate level gets paid and paid a lot. AD’s, commissioners, and definitely coaches.

Players deserve some of that pie.

Of course you could find others to play the game. But like I said, it wouldn’t be nearly as entertaining which means eventually the money would go away. The entire sport as we know it would crumble or at the very least would be scaled down to nothing more than lower level football.

The talk of money in sports can be annoying, but it’s a necessary evil. At the end of the day it is a business. An incredibly lucrative business.

Reactions: ShreveportVol
Page 4, 9th post down. It’s the most hope we’ve had.
Yea, I haven’t been following this one... just catching up cause I saw his name mentioned in another thread.

Failing to see why hopes are high. Seems Clemson is the clear leader. Maybe I’m missing something.

I wish it was that. Too poor to afford a TV. Transistor radios were the shyt though. A radio, John Ward and your imagination were all that was needed to see Tennessee Football in full technicolor.
Wasn't it John Ward that would say "Tennessee is moving from left to right on your radio dial?" Or vice versa.

Can we talk about Nyland and not Dabo??

Me, upon seeing the Nyland tweet:
t9bScLe.gif

Me, after reading that a bunch of UT people liked the tweet, and realizing I have 2 pages of unread discussion on the topic:
ron-swanson-is-excited.gif

Me, on seeing that it’s just 2 pages of Dabo talk:
giphy-1.gif

VN Store

Back