'21 GA CB Nyland Green (UGA commit)

I never said we weren't improving and no fair minded reader or one with good comprehension skills can say otherwise. I said we aren't improving against Bama and UGA. And its true. At the end of the day the scoreboard doesn't lie.

The USC/UGA tripe is tired out. We aren't USC. We are Tennessee, we are hated from the 90's and there is no more satisfaction than sticking it to us every year. UGA hates us and Bama has cigars on the ready. We aren't sneaking up on anyone.

We have closed the gap on everybody except Bama and GA, and we haven't come close on either of those. And for the love of all holy, I hope I eat crow this year with Bama.
Outside of the bad OLine play from UGA, we're likely a good QB/QB play from competing with them. QB has to not turn the ball over (definitely not as much as we did in the 2nd half) and also be able to help your line and offense. We aren't good enough yet in all the other spots to just have a game manager and win against the big boys. Hopefully the type of QB we need is already on the roster. Still need better OLine development as well.

Reactions: JT3
Bc that’s just stupid to say that we’ll get continue to get spanked by them.

1 - football is cyclical. At one time we spanked UGA and Bama every year. Did you know that or are you 12 years old?

2 - we are a stud QB away from competing with them. We led at half and were in the UGA game through 3 quarters. Not exactly being “spanked” up to that point. I’m not putting it all on JG (the OL was brutally bad) but JG isn’t a game changer. I’ve made it known I think HB will be that QB for us. He’s just not ready yet.

Our defense will continue to develop (also where most of our elite recruits come from) and will be our calling. They’ll keep us in every game.

Our O will have playmaking options and if you add a legit QB (I believe this to be HB when he’s ready - hoping to start next season) then those teams you fear so much will have to watch out. Start beating them every now and then and you have an even better shot at the elite recruits.

It’s cyclical but you have to get better players than the competition to change it. A generational talent at a key position like QB or a masterful scheme can neutralize the talent piece for a time but you will on balance never be at GA AL level when they have almost twice as many 4/5 stars. It’s not complicated.

Reactions: rjd970
Outside of the bad OLine play from UGA, we're likely a good QB/QB play from competing with them. QB has to not turn the ball over (definitely not as much as we did in the 2nd half) and also be able to help your line and offense. We aren't good enough yet in all the other spots to just have a game manager and win against the big boys. Hopefully the type of QB we need is already on the roster. Still need better OLine development as well.
What he's saying is that beyond the outliers it comes down to having the Jimmy's and Joe's. In any given year as you said a great qb, elite rb etc can be the difference. The problem is due to having those Jimmy's and Joe's GA and AL are the ones who will likely have the better players. This year GA had a down year on O and that was our shot, but we didn't have the players to take advantage.

Until we can close the talent gap, which is insurmountable at the current rate of exchange, the best we can hope for is to "get lucky" now and then. But that doesn't flip or equalize the talent gap and ultimately that is the issue.

We went from 0-8 to 5-3 and beating who we expect to beat last year. Need to show we can continue that and if so we will do more to cement that part of the plan that is necessary to take the next step. The next step is to compete with the big three. Close to happening till late in the 3rd quarter when we fell apart. May happen with Bama or Florida or may not. However, if we can get the right QB, I think it is on the cusp of happening. Get or T. Boyd and then we beat them then the next step happens which is winning a SEC championship. This day and age that means you are competing for a National Championship. If you think we should go from 0-8 less than three years ago to being in the playoffs this year, you will never be happy because that is delusional. We are progressing but this is not a two year flip with where we where as a program. Add that with a first time ever head coach, any reasonable person would know it will take time to get to number 1. However, no steps back. It continues with beating Kentucky and not losing to Vandy ever again while CJP is here.

We went from 0-8 to 5-3 and beating who we expect to beat last year. Need to show we can continue that and if so we will do more to cement that part of the plan that is necessary to take the next step. The next step is to compete with the big three. Close to happening till late in the 3rd quarter when we fell apart. May happen with Bama or Florida or may not. However, if we can get the right QB, I think it is on the cusp of happening. Get or T. Boyd and then we beat them then the next step happens which is winning a SEC championship. This day and age that means you are competing for a National Championship. If you think we should go from 0-8 less than three years ago to being in the playoffs this year, you will never be happy because that is delusional. We are progressing but this is not a two year flip with where we where as a program. Add that with a first time ever head coach, any reasonable person would know it will take time to get to number 1. However, no steps back. It continues with beating Kentucky and not losing to Vandy ever again while CJP is here.
So nice to read sensible posts on here.

The vols will have a better record then AV if we played Bama and Dawgs 20 times this season. Brings some knowledge but his prediction info is prob from Ballquest or one of the other sites. 100% imo only. I used to be a believer but not so much now.

Reactions: all_volz
Just my opinion but if we don’t land this guy then the only other big time get is Malone . I don’t feel Mondon will join , to me he’s another guy looking for championshios now not later like Mims. And after watching our DLine the first 3 games , I’d be tickled to Finish with just Malone. Kids a wrecking ball. Again my opinion not being negative, just going by our recruiting trends for the last 3 years with top 25 players. Like to know what our record is for landing these guys not counting this year .

Reactions: BigOrangeFanatic
I think we probably need to prepare ourselves, we aren't going to go into GA and win very many battles for highly sought after recruits. Just the simple truth.

Reactions: gunner and VolByLaw
meh.

the only thing we're not getting right now is the splash class that puts you on the map faster.

we've got two top 10 classes under our belt so far, and working on a 3rd.

the rsoter wasn't good when they got here and has been overhauled, especially on the O line......

defenisvely, we've made signficant strides, even w/out the benefit of all world top 5 talent across the board...hell we have two WR playing CB that are going to likely be on some version of all SEC lists.....

offensively, we need a QB....

we've gone from 0-8 in the SEC in 2017 to 5-3 in 2019.

news flash: UGA and Bama and Florida have been a head of us for a while now. hell, up until a couple years ago, USCe, Mizzou, Vandy all had winning streaks against us....to go along with the current streaks against the other 3.

you don't have to like it. but we're not yet ready to compete for SEC titles....and probably won't be for another year or two, at least. while UGA and Bama have show the ability to recruit their way to that level in relatively short order, TN has not been able to do that, and really, never has been able to do that....even when we were a top dog signing top 5 classes, we were still a development first program.

and that's where we are right now....develop the ones you have, and the ones you get.....when we've been able to get immediate contributors, they've contributed. the majority need time....and i honestly dont' care anymore about comparing us to this or that program. it really doesn't matter. cause we are where we are....and what happens someplace is inconsequential.

we need to continue to beef up the front 3-4 on defense...we need to continue to add depth to the OL and find/develop OT's...we need to get a QB developed....

but i really don't think we're light years behind anymore.....we went toe to toe with Bama physically last year until you know what happened. we went toe to toe with UGA physically, on defense anyway, and as a result was only down 2 freaking points in AThens headed to the 4th qtr....in both of those games had we had solid/good/better qb play...who knows....

but UGA's defense is legit. Bama's offense is legit. and across the board, we do not have the personnel yet to just go out and "handle" the difference between them and us in those match ups. the same has been tru with FL in a lot of cases....they seem to have just enough of an advantage in the right spots to be able to do what's needed when they play us.

the good news, we've bridged the gap, and in some cases passed, most everyone else in the SEC in my opinion.....other than those three programs, there's not another program i would just put an L next to on the schedule anymore.

anyway...........i'm not here to ruin a good bish session....but most of it is being done w/out any consideration of the context involved in TN football vs. the SEC as a whole.....
I don't think we can even say the roster has been overhauled yet. Our senior class (2017) only had four 4 star recruits, three of whom left the program. Our junior class (2018) only had eight 4 stars, four of whom left. So our upper class consists of 5 bluechip players, only three of which (Alontae Taylor, Bryce Thompson, and Ty Chandler) are regular contributors.

Pruitt has recruited well the past 2 cycles, but those guys are true freshmen and sophomores. We have young talent everywhere, but the SEC is an upperclass league. It'll take another year or two before we have the talented depth to go a whole four quarters with the big 2. Butch left literally nothing.

I don't think we can even say the roster has been overhauled yet. Our senior class (2017) only had four 4 star recruits, three of whom left the program. Our junior class (2018) only had eight 4 stars, four of whom left. So our upper class consists of 5 bluechip players, only three of which (Alontae Taylor, Bryce Thompson, and Ty Chandler) are regular contributors.

Pruitt has recruited well the past 2 cycles, but those guys are true freshmen and sophomores. We have young talent everywhere, but the SEC is an upperclass league. It'll take another year or two before we have the talented depth to go a whole four quarters with the big 2. Butch left literally nothing.
you can debate the quality of the overhaul...but a large portion of the roster has been turned over in favor of pruitt guys.

QB, RB, DL still have lots of primary contributors from the last staff. pretty much every where else, it's the 18 class and newer....

but i agree, still young, and likely still a year or two out from having a veteran team with depth that's been developed.....

Butch left us with some bad STD’s

Florida isnt in the Big 3. They just mentally dominate us. We have a QB who folds under pressure and since Florida is a rival we make that game 50 times harder than it needs to be.

They are in the East and beat us every year. They are in the big 3.

Oops...you said reasonable.

Reactions: bpvol
They are in the East and beat us every year. They are in the big 3.
There's a Big 2 and it's a steaming pile of Dawgs and Elephants.

They are one of the 3 most important games but over the last 3 years aren't any better than LSU or Auburn even

The vols will have a better record then AV if we played Bama and Dawgs 20 times this season. Brings some knowledge but his prediction info is prob from Ballquest or one of the other sites. 100% imo only. I used to be a believer but not so much now.
giphy.gif

Don’t let one game scare you.....

For some people it was just this one game. Most of others, they saw it as a repeat of many games the past 2 seasons.
And it's all on Pruitt.

Saban, Dabo, ...maybe even Smart would have had us win 10 games last year.

And we probably only lose by a TD by UGA last weekend. 3 points imo.

Smart is a Dbag, but he had the sense to bench Diwon Mathis and TRY another option.
People keep making excuses for Pruitt..."Bailey missed practice, Shrout has no trust , Maurer is a turnover machine, etc..."
Meanwhile our starter continues to not move the football and we keep games close that shoudn't be or get blown out by elite teams.

Our defense scored again on a team and we still lost by 23 points.

I want Tennessee to be good as everyone else. But its unreasonable how so many of you criticize or degrade other posters because they are rightfully upset...

This kid is all UGA no matter what AV says.
You don't know that.

AV can only report what he is told. He has very welcomed and accurate information AT THE TIME it's given.
But kids just like adults change their minds when they see the reality of things...

Kids want to win. Pruitt's weakness once again reared its' ugly head during UGA- not changing something that is OBVIOUSLY broken.
Had we changed QBs, and kept the game respectable ...there's no doubt in my mind Mondon, Green and Mims would have been Vols.

But UT wasn't just out-talented...they were OUT COACHED more than anything in the 2nd half. And the recruits see that.
The fans see it, why wouldn't the recruits and players?

It is what it is, but it's not Atlanta Vol's fault..

Reactions: escapegoat2
You don't know that.

AV can only report what he is told. He has very welcomed and accurate information AT THE TIME it's given.
But kids just like adults change their minds when they see the reality of things...

Kids want to win. Pruitt's weakness once again reared its' ugly head during UGA- not changing something that is OBVIOUSLY broken.
Had we changed QBs, and kept the game respectable ...there's no doubt in my mind Mondon, Green and Mims would have been Vols.

But UT wasn't just out-talented...they were OUT COACHED more than anything in the 2nd half. And the recruits see that.
The fans see it, why wouldn't the recruits and players?

It is what it is, but it's not Atlanta Vol's fault..
Agree

VN Store

Back