'22 GA CB Christian Harrison (Tennessee signee)

Sports Illustrated's Director of Recruiting John Garcia Jr. shared his analysis of Harrison's game with Volunteer Country on Monday afternoon. "Tennessee picked up a late-riser to bet on Monday evening in Christian Harrison," Garcia Jr. said. "NFL -- and competitive -- bloodlines aside, the one-year rise of one of Georgia's top defenders is enticing enough to celebrate in Knoxville. As a senior, the two-way standout worked safety and wide receiver spots with production, finding the end zone on offense and turning teams over on defense. At 6', near 200 pounds, he has the chance to move throughout a secondary based on ball skills, experience and production."

The tape does not lie, and Garcia Jr. was impressed with what the versatile defender showed in his senior campaign. "The senior calls himself Coach Harrison for a reason, with evidence littered in his 2021 tape," he continued. "Working cornerback most of the season, there is just a feel he shows in both man and zone roles, with quick instincts turned into action on either side. Soft hands and elite tracking ability shine regardless of where he lines up, with enough size and speed to make up for lost ground. From a physical standpoint, there will be reminders of his father in coming downhill to make a play and finishing through contact -- often jarring the ball loose in the process."

Garcia Jr. believes that Harrsison's size, physical skillset and mental makeup could lead to him finding an early role on Rocky Top. "Harrison has enough athleticism and intellect to bait passers while possessing more tangible traits to play at the line of scrimmage and flip his hips without wasted motion on defense," Garcia Jr. concluded. "He mixes up his tendencies and shows mature disguise skill at corner on a frame that can still be added on to. Agressive to a point, he knows how to stay in phase and stack pass-catchers legally at the same rate he can work off of blocks to the point where a nickel or safety-style role could be a quick path to playing time in the SEC East."

Director of Recruiting: Vols Getting 'Athletic, Instinctual' DB In Christian Harrison

Fit

Tennessee views Harrison as utility type player in the secondary. He brings length and athleticism that will allow him to play on the edge or as a nickel primarily. He is fluid in his hips and is comfortable in both press and man coverage. His ball skills and adequate frame could give him the ability to flex to safety if needed. He will have an early opportunity to play due to Tim Banks's multiple scheme defense. Harrison has played iron man football at Woodward Academy, meaning that he will also bring added special teams value, which has been a key emphasis for this staff on the recruiting trail.

Impact Rating

While many will look at Harrison's star rating and think this is just an average commitment, I beg to differ. Harrison was a top target for multiple schools, and he would have likely had more offers if not for the COVID setback that many others faced. He comes from a great bloodline, which is an added bonus. He will have the opportunity to play multiple roles and develop in Tim Banks's defense and will be a much welcomed depth piece for Tennessee. This is a nice recruiting win for Tennessee.

8.7 of 10
Impact Report: Tennessee Adds Length, Versatility to Secondary With DB Harrison

We are being asked to believe that Rodney Harrison's son is an overlooked diamond in the rough, as an explanation for why the recruiting services have him rated so low. The pedigree itself usually gives a kid an undeserved bump upward, if anything.

I guess I can buy it, but it's another one that's hard to get excited over. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: vettefool
We are being asked to believe that Rodney Harrison's son is an overlooked diamond in the rough, as an explanation for why the recruiting services have him rated so low. The pedigree itself usually gives a kid an undeserved bump upward, if anything.

I guess I can buy it, but it's another one that's hard to get excited over. We'll see what happens.
If you do your research, you would see that he was one of the fastest rising recruits in the country. Expect a huge bump in the final recruiting ratings, but that doesn't matter. The kid was blowing up with offers after senior film started circulating.

Ok Karen. Thanks for the input!

1638244226929.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

VN Store

Back