‘23 GA CB Branden Strozier (Clemson commit)

Completely different scenario. RG is one of the best if not the best in the business at coaching and developing DLs that has a long history of putting guys in the NFL and has shown for years that he’s a force on the recruiting trail. Willie Martinez isn’t

Martinez gets guys drafted.

Completely different scenario. RG is one of the best if not the best in the business at coaching and developing DLs that has a long history of putting guys in the NFL and has shown for years that he’s a force on the recruiting trail. Willie Martinez isn’t
Hubbs credited WM for helping AT become a 2nd round pick

Last time I checked they were both a part of "the staff"

One player that feels like is trending the other way is corner Branden Strozier. Tennessee continues to swing there but people we spoke with this week told us it just feels like Clemson has the momentum.

-VQ

Love it when VN gets referred to this way! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: onevol74
You’re probably being sarcastic and it’s just going over my head. But there’s no telling what Clemsons season could turn into. In my personal opinion Venables was more valuable to that team than Dabo. They could go 7-5 and drop recruits like crazy.
Maybe if they played an SEC schedule, but it's hard for me to imagine with the cupcakes they play that they fall that far. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: LouderVol
You’re probably being sarcastic and it’s just going over my head. But there’s no telling what Clemsons season could turn into. In my personal opinion Venables was more valuable to that team than Dabo. They could go 7-5 and drop recruits like crazy.

The problem is Clemson will still have an elite defense whereas I’ll be over the moon if we end up top 50 defensively.

Reactions: VolByLaw
The problem is Clemson will still have an elite defense whereas I’ll be over the moon if we end up top 50 defensively.

As long as we run this form of offense effectively, a top50 defense is a tough row to hoe. I'm not complaining, that's just reality. Time of possession, or lack thereof, has a massive effect on the defense.

As long as we run this form of offense effectively, a top50 defense is a tough row to hoe. I'm not complaining, that's just reality. Time of possession, or lack thereof, has a massive effect on the defense.

we should consider a poll for this subject matter.

which affects the defensive team time on the field the most?

1) Our style of offense

OR

2) Getting stops on 3rd and 4th down more often

This is a myth. We had one of the best defenses on early downs last season, but one of the worst on third down. The defensive inefficiency on third downs had nothing to do with our style of offense. Our defense got tied because of the inability to hold teams on third and medium/long situations. If we improve on that aspect significantly this year, and manage to just be equal on early downs, we'll have a top 25 type defense. That is more than sufficient with a top 10 type offense.

Clemson was rising before Venables. With that said, I think Clemson had a run of strong QB play that vaulted them to elite. That helped them get elite defensive players. I think they're not where they've been due to QB play.

This is a myth. We had one of the best defenses on early downs last season, but one of the worst on third down. The defensive inefficiency on third downs had nothing to do with our style of offense. Our defense got tied because of the inability to hold teams on third and medium/long situations. If we improve on that aspect significantly this year, and manage to just be equal on early downs, we'll have a top 25 type defense. That is more than sufficient with a top 10 type offense.

Getting better on offense with 3/4 and short situations is a huge key here too. Obviously makes it more likely we score, but ancillary benefit is that it keeps the defense off the field that much longer.

I respectfully disagree. 1:57 seconds of game time rest for multiple series will wear a defense out. Sure, depth will help, but it wears them out. Those third and long situations happened more and more as fatigue set in. I'm not saying we'll never have a good defense, but when you have other teams getting forty minutes or more of possession, it's a big deal. Takes a lot of energy to play D.... and those defensive backs legs start to slow half a step. We ask the D to make a few big plays and get some key stops and let our offense dictate the rest.

VN Store

Back