'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

That’s cool. And I hope he does well there! Just pointing out that Heupel doesn’t historically use the TE a lot. GBO
I agree that Echols future is as a pass rusher.

Heupel does use the TE a lot actually. It just hasn't reflected in many pass receptions. But blocking on the perimeter and opening alleys to clear WR routes. He uses them a lot actually. Also uses them to block running down hill

Reactions: Joe Dirt
Recruit him for the position he wants to play and give him a chance. He will make the best decision to get himself to the NFL. If he has 1st round potential at TE, he can be just as big of a difference maker as being an edge rusher. TEs make a huge impact in today's offenses.

I have personally spoke that him several times. He loves Tennessee and has never said a single bad word about this place. He is actually very easy to talk to an all around good dude.
This is why that tweet was so confusing to me. Several affiliated with Tennessee felt the guy got a bad deal and have tried to help him out after he was let go.

Recruit him for the position he wants to play and give him a chance. He will make the best decision to get himself to the NFL. If he has 1st round potential at TE, he can be just as big of a difference maker as being an edge rusher. TEs make a huge impact in today's offenses.

Agreed.

If he's a Kyle Pitts type talent at TE then we're all gonna be happy!

This is why that tweet was so confusing to me. Several affiliated with Tennessee felt the guy got a bad deal and have tried to help him out after he was let go.
Have not heard anyone say he got a bad deal from Tennessee. How did he?

Have not heard anyone say he got a bad deal from Tennessee. How did he?
He would still be coaching at any other program like Bama, Georgia, Florida State, etc for his efforts on the recruiting trail. Instead he’s a DC at a prominent high school program.

How is that Tennessee’s fault? Wasn’t he involved in the recruiting violations?
I’m not going to take this thread into a direction away from Echols but everyone knows how recruiting is done in the SEC, every team has violations, every stop pruitt has been at he’s done this. Tennessee turned all this crap in to get Fulmer out of the AD and to get away with not paying Pruitt while getting him out of the head coach position.

I’m not going to take this thread into a direction away from Echols but everyone knows how recruiting is done in the SEC, every team has violations, every stop pruitt has been at he’s done this. Tennessee turned all this crap in to get Fulmer out of the AD and to get away with not paying Pruitt while getting him out of the head coach position.
Thanks that explains it. It’s not that he didn’t do what he is accused of and that the punishment is not what it should be. It’s just that no one is expected to be punished in the SEC. So some think it’s unfair to him for getting punished when others are not.

Reactions: DaddyChad
Fwiw a solid insider on 247 brought up this Echols deal before it had become public knowledge and he said the kid "is listed at one position, but we have been talking to him about playing a different position".

Afaik he's only listed as an EDGE defender. So that would lead me to believe we're convincing him to play TE.

Fwiw a solid insider on 247 brought up this Echols deal before it had become public knowledge and he said the kid "is listed at one position, but we have been talking to him about playing a different position".

Afaik he's only listed as an EDGE defender. So that would lead me to believe we're convincing him to play TE.
An elite-level TE would feast in this offense, which would pave the way for other elite TEs to Tennessee.

ETA: Not to discredit Ethan Davis, because I think he is that guy too

This seems counter to the Twitter post where he trolled us when we missed out on Tate.

What did he really say though? You love to see it? I mean it's his WR getting to play at a big time P5 school. Maybe he was just supporting his guy the same way any coach would.

Who knows, but I sure as hell would like to believe we won't be hamstrung by a former employee that showed himself the door and has no one else to blame.

Mauigoa and Echols, arguably the 2 highest rated kids currently playing for IMG, coming here would seem to kill that notion he's pushing kids away from us.

From Callahan article in this thread:

Echols, a former two-way standout at Heard County High School in Franklin, Ga., who moved to powerhouse IMG Academy earlier this year, said the Vols made it clear throughout the visit that he’s important to them. He participated in a portion of Tennessee’s camp Sunday evening, working out at tight end, the position the Vols are recruiting him to play.

“They just want me to be able to come here and be a great tight end,” said Echols, who’s ranked the No. 30 overall prospect in the 2024 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

He said Tennessee’s coaches envision him “just being a matchup nightmare, just being able to block like an O-lineman and being able to run like a receiver.”

“Just being able to do both of those set me apart from other tight ends,” added Echols, who has received offers from more than 30 schools.
Not every school pursuing him wants to use him at the same position.

An elite-level TE would feast in this offense, which would pave the way for other elite TEs to Tennessee.
Now imagine a 2 TE scheme with him and Davis 😂 Play 1 they block you into the ground. Other team gets big on defense. Play 2 we go all seams and throw a 50 yd bomb to a streaking TE for a TD.

It would be too easy for Heupel ☻️

From Callahan article in this thread:

Echols, a former two-way standout at Heard County High School in Franklin, Ga., who moved to powerhouse IMG Academy earlier this year, said the Vols made it clear throughout the visit that he’s important to them. He participated in a portion of Tennessee’s camp Sunday evening, working out at tight end, the position the Vols are recruiting him to play.

“They just want me to be able to come here and be a great tight end,” said Echols, who’s ranked the No. 30 overall prospect in the 2024 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

He said Tennessee’s coaches envision him “just being a matchup nightmare, just being able to block like an O-lineman and being able to run like a receiver.”

“Just being able to do both of those set me apart from other tight ends,” added Echols, who has received offers from more than 30 schools.
Not every school pursuing him wants to use him at the same position.
Over the years, we have had a few good TEs come in and become an All American at DE. We have also had a TE come in and become an All Pro TE. the player and the coaches will figure out where he can become the best he can be.

I said this yesterday in the Francis Mauivowels thread and since this guy is IMG as well, it bares repeating:

If he commits here, 102,455 of us needs to retweet his commitment tweet, tagging Niedermeyer, with the caption “You love to see it.”

😉
Many will do this and it will be a bad look. That’s his DC for the next 2 years. Not sure what we gain by adding gas to a fight with a coach who will have the kid’s ear for the next 2 years before signing day

Reactions: Devo182

VN Store

Back