'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

There have been more 5 stars in the state of Georgia the past few years than there have ever been if I recall correctly. It’s kind of flawed with the Richt vs. Smart debate.
He’s recruiting nationally, only a few from UGA. Probably only 8 or so players in this class will be from Ga. 14 5-stars out of state vs 8 in state.

Reactions: checkerboards09
There have been more 5 stars in the state of Georgia the past few years than there have ever been if I recall correctly. It’s kind of flawed with the Richt vs. Smart debate.
Now the question is can Smart win at a higher level than Richt. They basically have the same record right now. Smart's in game coaching needs to improve.

After watching the final cut for both, Gilbert is the much better athlete and more quick twitch than Washington. He will definitely give you more after the catch and stretch the field better. That being said, Washington will be unstoppable in 3rd down and red zone situations. The kid is almost 6'8" and still plenty athletic. He uses his frame well to shield defenders from the ball already. Which would I rather have? The answer is both.
That was what i thought as well. Either one is going to fast-track through their school. They just need to get the right offensive system.

Now the question is can Smart win at a higher level than Richt. They basically have the same record right now. Smart's in game coaching needs to improve.
I never understand this argument as a knock on Smart. Richt wasn’t fired for his first 3 years. He was very successful, then fell off. He never recruited like Smart nor made it to a national championship like smart, but he came close and won the SEC. Seeing Richt fail at Miami while Kirby succeeded at UGA was proof enough for me that UGA made the right call on letting Richt go. I doubt anyone thinks the Richt of today is anywhere near the early Richt.

Reactions: ZippyMorocco
I never understand this argument as a knock on Smart. Richt wasn’t fired for his first 3 years. He was very successful, then fell off. He never recruited like Smart nor made it to a national championship like smart, but he came close and won the SEC. Seeing Richt fail at Miami while Kirby succeeded at UGA was proof enough for me that UGA made the right call on letting Richt go. I doubt anyone thinks the Richt of today is anywhere near the early Richt.
And as many of us are fond of subdividing the Fulmer era as with Cutcliffe or without Cutcliffe, the same could be said of Mark Richt with and without Brian Van Gorder. After Van Gorder left Richt never found anyone else who could field a consistently strong defense. The closest would be CJP, but they had a few inexplicable defensive lapses then too.

He’s recruiting nationally, only a few from UGA. Probably only 8 or so players in this class will be from Ga. 14 5-stars out of state vs 8 in state.
This can’t be overstated. Recruiting in-state is good and helps but the best programs recruit nationally. We did in our heyday. Georgia Clemson Bama do it now.

Your assuming anyone could win at Miami in today's situation and environment. Richt was their most successful coach in almost 2 decades.

That was Chaney’s fault, haven’t you heard?

I think most of us believe it was time to move on from Richts but the narrative that kirby 1st 3 years were so much better than Richt's1st 3 is false. UGA would have also been in the playoffs in one of Richts first 3 years as well based off ranking/record. Recruiting at a higher level means nothing if the results on the field are the same as the previous staff. UGA fans want titles. Let's see how things go moving forward.

I think most of us believe it was time to move on from Richts but the narrative that kirby 1st 3 years were so much better than Richt's1st 3 is false. UGA would have also been in the playoffs in one of Richts first 3 years as well based off ranking/record. Recruiting at a higher level means nothing if the results on the field are the same as the previous staff. UGA fans want titles. Let's see how things go moving forward.
It's not surprising why people think that though. Kirby had UGA's best season in nearly 4 decades in his second year at UGA. He took UGA and Richt's players to a place Richt couldn't. People that claim Richt could've made a NC with the playoffs forget that he had two chances with nearly the same roster and failed. There is also no way of knowing whether or not the BCS would've had UGA jump Oklahoma in the rankings after beating a third ranked Auburn team in the SECC, so its plausible that Kirby could've made it without the playoff. Not much can be determined off a sample size of 3 years. Malzahn made it to a NC his first year while it took Saban more than 10 years to make a NC. It'll be interesting to see which coach/coaches take advantage when Saban retires. Smart/Fisher/Pruitt/Mullen seem to be the most likely candidates, but anything can happen

Reactions: GroverCleveland
And as many of us are fond of subdividing the Fulmer era as with Cutcliffe or without Cutcliffe, the same could be said of Mark Richt with and without Brian Van Gorder. After Van Gorder left Richt never found anyone else who could field a consistently strong defense. The closest would be CJP, but they had a few inexplicable defensive lapses then too.
A major problem Richt had was keeping friends around too long in positions of power. Willie Martinez was awful and stuck around forever and then at Miami he let his son be the QB's coach with little prior experience. Its pretty evident the AD used Pruitt as the catalyst for change.

FIRST TAKE: JAKE REUSE, UGASPORTS.COM
“I think he’s waiting to see how everybody uses their tight ends this year. Georgia has promised a lot of change in regards to that with Coley taking over and with Hartley as the new tight ends coach. They want to expand the role of that and quite frankly they’re going to have to if they want to recruit Gilbert's caliber in this class.
“Gilbert is going to be watching that pretty closely this year and I do think Georgia will have a more tight end-friendly offense. Alabama is a contender. Anytime Alabama is involved in a recruitment, it’s a contender. I still think Tennessee is still Georgia’s top competition, but this will go into the season and it will be interesting to see how these offenses play out.
"I still have my FutureCast in for Georgia and in the end that will probably be what happens. If it were today I don’t know if it would be Georgia, but the longer this goes on I think it favors Georgia.”
SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM
“Tennessee has even mentioned playing him at wide receiver or at least putting him outside, so that is attractive to him. Alabama put
O.J. Howard
in the first round and he didn’t have a great career, but it shows even if you’re not utilized as much as possible, you can still be a first-rounder coming out of Alabama.

“I don’t think he’s committed because he just wants to see exactly how things play out this season and listen to more pitches as teams show whether they’re using the tight end or not. I still think he ends up at Georgia.”
Rivals

"I still have my FutureCast in for Georgia and in the end that will probably be what happens. If it were today I don’t know if it would be Georgia, but the longer this goes on I think it favors Georgia.”

Sounds like UGA Rivals guy thinks UT leads at the present. 247 guys said the same recently. Would be cool if he jumped in the boat and started helping Bailey recruit.

Sounds like UGA Rivals guy thinks UT leads at the present. 247 guys said the same recently. Would be cool if he jumped in the boat and started helping Bailey recruit.
Would be but isn't gonna.

"I still have my FutureCast in for Georgia and in the end that will probably be what happens. If it were today I don’t know if it would be Georgia, but the longer this goes on I think it favors Georgia.”/QUOTE]

If Gilbert were to commit today would he be Vol? UGA guy said the longer it goes the better for UGA, which is contrary to y’all statements a few weeks ago.

AP said:
I always feel the longer it goes the more it favors away team. Otherwise the home team knows the score and what it needs to do to flip. Plus pressure mounts inside the state on sake recruit.

Seems AP differs on the opinion from the UGA mod, which makes sense why he and Jesse think the longer it goes for King is better for us as well.

VN Store

Back