'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

We’ll see, Marietta is loaded and that young team will be juniors.

I think we only had 3 or 4 Srs that really played this year.

Coach Morgan intentionally tried to go young when he got here two years ago. I believe in his first year 17 of the starters were FR or SO's, but mainly FR. Last year it was primarily SO's and the few Sr's and a couple of Jr's. There were a couple of FR starters that are being highly recruited too. The incoming FR class is supposed to be good, they lost the GMSAA state championship game this year.

Coach Morgan intentionally tried to go young when he got here two years ago. I believe in his first year 17 of the starters were FR or SO's, but mainly FR. Last year it was primarily SO's and the few Sr's and a couple of Jr's. There were a couple of FR starters that are being highly recruited too. The incoming FR class is supposed to be good, they lost the GMSAA state championship game this year.

I’ll be down soon to check them all out. 😎😎😎😎

I’ll be down soon to check them all out. 😎😎😎😎

Sat August 18th at the benz there are 5 games scheduled. Kell vs East Coweta, Brookwood vs North Gwinnett, Mceachern vsColquitt, Mill Creek vs Walton and Norcross vs Mays.

Huge amounts of talent in these 5 games.

That Rome game is going to be a good game.

“it was really nice,” said gilbert, who’s ranked by 247sports as the nation’s no. 11 overall prospect and no. 1 athlete in the 2020 class. “i didn’t really know their coaches like that, and getting to meet them and everything, they were pretty cool. The place itself is really nice. I really liked the environment overall. It just felt good there. “certain schools just have, like, a certain feel and you like the place overall.”

the 6-foot-6, 248-pound gilbert joined teammate harrison bailey, a four-star quarterback and fellow top-100 prospect in the 2020 class, in making the trip to tennessee. “i never visited before, so i was just going to check it out,” said gilbert, who already has received offers from more than 20 schools. “i heard that harrison was going up there, so i just tagged along with him.”

“i just liked the coaches themselves. (i liked) the conversations, the way the practice went, the way that they were running their offense — everything,” gilbert said. “i was with the tight ends (saturday). I was talking to the tight ends coach basically the whole time. “they have a pro-style offense, so they’re probably going to keep a tight end in there at all times, so i like that a lot. I like how they use their tight ends in their offense. And i like the coach — he’s pretty cool, coach niedermeyer.”

“i like tight end more, but i’m open to playing both,” he said. "whichever one, i guess, i feel that i can further my career there, that’s the one i’ll choose.” gilbert said he liked what he heard from tennessee’s coaches about how they might use him in their offense. “being pro-style, they want to move me all around the field,” he said. “they said that i can put my hand in the ground and then split out as a receiver, and not have to come out to switch the formations up or anything like that.”

pruitt also talked with gilbert during the visit. “he was saying how they were basically in the rebuilding stage right now, with all the coaches being gone and them just coming in,” gilbert said, recalling his conversation with pruitt. “and he was saying, by the time we get there, they’ll probably be straight. And if i did commit, i’d be one of the key factors in changing the program around.” the vols impressed gilbert enough that he said he “definitely” will visit them again, “probably for a game” this season. “i’ll go back with my family,” he said.

Reactions: 5 people
Chad Simmons video interview with Gilbert at Rivals camp...He asked him about his latest visits...Miami...liked the tradition, location and culture, TE U. USCw...liked weather, coaches are cool, weather was #1. Tennessee...rebuilding, likes UT "A LOT", Pruitt offered him at UGA when he was DC there, likes Pruitt. UGA..."it's home, everyone knows me there". Who's top schools right now? Didn't want to answer. Simmons pushed..."How about at least one top school?" "Ummm...I know Tennessee is definitely up there, I like them a lot." ...Simmons pushed give me another..."Penn state, Miami, UGA, USCw". At the end Chad said sounds like maybe UT leads here and Gilbert said yeah maybe with a smile.

WOW sounds like Vols lead here!

Reactions: 4 people
Chad Simmons video interview with Gilbert at Rivals camp...He asked him about his latest visits...Miami...liked the tradition, location and culture, TE U. USCw...liked weather, coaches are cool, weather was #1. Tennessee...rebuilding, likes UT "A LOT", Pruitt offered him at UGA when he was DC there, likes Pruitt. UGA..."it's home, everyone knows me there". Who's top schools right now? Didn't want to answer. Simmons pushed..."How about at least one top school?" "Ummm...I know Tennessee is definitely up there, I like them a lot." ...Simmons pushed give me another..."Penn state, Miami, UGA, USCw". At the end Chad said sounds like maybe UT leads here and Gilbert said yeah maybe with a smile.

WOW sounds like Vols lead here!

Be nice to pull that trio of him, Ramel and Bailey.....

-Chad Simmons

First, i'm not willing to concede anything in 2019. but is it me or does it feel like 2020 is going to be 'the year' for us in recruiting? they're making a heck of an impression on a lot of these top level 2020 guys.

First, i'm not willing to concede anything in 2019. but is it me or does it feel like 2020 is going to be 'the year' for us in recruiting? they're making a heck of an impression on a lot of these top level 2020 guys.

2020 has been talked about as being much better in regards to the talent pool.

And it’s probably the first class we will be able to make much noise in. Recruiting players is a 2-3 year deal now. Our staff is only getting a year and a couple months at most to recruit 2019. It will still be good but I’m not sure if it will be top 10

well, i knew that for the in state crop for sure. and as this cycle has kind of gone on, it has the feel of there's about a 1/2 dozen kids or so we really really want, and are going to fill need elsewhere. i don't get the impression we're going to overreach in this cycle.

it feels like there may be more effort right now on the 2020 class. could be just me tho, but judging from the reactions you see from those guys, it may be time well spent when all i said and done.

This is what I have been waiting to see from this staff. I have admittedly been referring to Pruitt as the Alabubba High School Coach.

Man Bailey and Gilbert would be straight up Monsta for '20. We can't mess this one up. We win some games this year, get a couple we shouldn't, win the ones we should, '20 class will be en fuego....

Reactions: 1 person
From MaxPreps:

TE — Arik Gilbert, Marietta (Ga.)
The talented playmaker from Georgia might end up being the No. 1 rated player overall from the Class of 2020 when all is said and done.

Reactions: 2 people
“I do a little bit of everything,” he said, flashing a wide grin. “I probably need to decide sometime soon which (position) I want to play in college.” Asked if he’s leaning toward one side of the ball or the other, Gilbert responded: “Catching touchdowns.”

“Tennessee is a really good program,” Gilbert said. “I think they know what they’re doing. I think they’re going to be good in a couple of years.”

As a sophomore, Gilbert finished the season with 54 receptions for 570 yards and seven touchdowns — ranking second on the team in every category behind only new Tennessee wideout commit Ramel Keyton. Gilbert also added 62 tackles, 9.0 tackles for loss and six sacks on defense.

Gilbert currently claims no leaders in his recruitment and plans on visiting plenty of schools this summer. “I’m kind of trying to take things slow right now,” he said.

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back