'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

Just curious, how did Kirby fail the last 2 years? He exceeded expectations in 2017 by going to the playoffs and national championship, then met expectations the following year losing to bama in the SECC. As of right now, he’s probably the biggest threat to bama in the SEC and has recruited at an elite level every year. I agree that every coach/team’s goal at the beginning of the year should be an undefeated season, but most rational people can see which teams exceed or fail to meet realistic expectations.

The SEC Championship game was his to lose which he did...got out coached and can be an argument that his players got outplayed in that 2nd half. All in all, I'm sure a plethora of teams would swap their last two years for Kirby's last two years.

Reactions: Atlanta917
The SEC Championship game was his to lose which he did...got out coached and can be an argument that his players got outplayed in that 2nd half. All in all, I'm sure a plethora of teams would swap their last two years for Kirby's last two years.
Thanks for the reasonable reply. Given the point spread of the game (Bama -10), I think it's fair to say most people believed that Bama had more talent and/or better coaching. Cheney had an unbelievable gameplan for the first half, but seemed to be unable to do anything after Bama adjusted their gameplan, which was eerily similar to the championship game. I guess I'm just not too surprised that Saban, who is widely considered the goat, outcoached a second, then third year headcoach. It's funny to me that other fanbases like to claim UGA thinks Kirby is Saban, then turnaround and say Kirby should've outcoached Saban twice. Also, if Kirby takes the blame for the Bama games, then he has to get credit for the OU game. Basically, just trying to say its too early to claim whether he's great or a flash in the pan. 3 years is an insanely small sample size and not much can be learned from it.

Reactions: MemphisVol3
Thanks for the reasonable reply. Given the point spread of the game (Bama -10), I think it's fair to say most people believed that Bama had more talent and/or better coaching. Cheney had an unbelievable gameplan for the first half, but seemed to be unable to do anything after Bama adjusted their gameplan, which was eerily similar to the championship game. I guess I'm just not too surprised that Saban, who is widely considered the goat, outcoached a second, then third year headcoach. It's funny to me that other fanbases like to claim UGA thinks Kirby is Saban, then turnaround and say Kirby should've outcoached Saban twice. Also, if Kirby takes the blame for the Bama games, then he has to get credit for the OU game. Basically, just trying to say its too early to claim whether he's great or a flash in the pan. 3 years is an insanely small sample size and not much can be learned from it.

I agree with all those points. I think some of the flack he receives is because he walked into a stacked roster from the moment he got there.

I agree with all those points. I think some of the flack he receives is because he walked into a stacked roster from the moment he got there.
Freshman QBs..few SEC offensive lineman…but the traditional pile of Richt athletes….Pruitt’s Defensive recruiting for TWO years gave him enough defensive talent to survive…but not enough depth to dominate.

Freshman QBs..few SEC offensive lineman…but the traditional pile of Richt athletes….Pruitt’s Defensive recruiting for TWO years gave him enough defensive talent to survive…but not enough depth to dominate.

Hey those two 1st and 2nd round RBs didn't hurt either. They were pretty stacked at the skill positions and defense. I believe UGA's average class rankings were #5 or #6 the 3 years leading into Kirby's arrival. The freshmen QBs they had were extremely highly rated so it's not unreasonable to think they'd be a lot better in their second year with a solid o-line. They also had a solid S&C program unlike the mess Pruitt inherited.

Hey those two 1st and 2nd round RBs didn't hurt either. They were pretty stacked at the skill positions and defense. I believe UGA's average class rankings were #5 or #6 the 3 years leading into Kirby's arrival. The freshmen QBs they had were extremely highly rated so it's not unreasonable to think they'd be a lot better in their second year with a solid o-line. They also had a solid S&C program unlike the mess Pruitt inherited.
Richt always had the "skill" players..but we were never stacked on D...always one critical injury/suspension away from a roster hole. But we always suffered from poor OL recruiting, development and depth...Pruitt made Smart's success possible...WIll Friend was one of the reasons Richt got fired.....and just to keep this street legal...Morris in Athens would be a good get...just don't see it.

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14
Richt always had the "skill" players..but we were never stacked on D...always one critical injury/suspension away from a roster hole. But we always suffered from poor OL recruiting, development and depth...Pruitt made Smart's success possible...WIll Friend was one of the reasons Richt got fired.....and just to keep this street legal...Morris in Athens would be a good get...just don't see it.

The defensive recruiting I was referring to was in respect to the time while Pruitt was there. He stacked UGA's defense pretty nicely. Smart definitely benefited from Pruitt's recruiting there. The guy knows talent when he sees it.

that and he looks like the poster child for douchebag.
Forgot to mention I edited off a natty from the first post just for you. Figured it would be the equivalent of taking off my shoes before entering a guest’s house.

No the SEC title wasnt his to lose. Was UGA favored to win? No they werent. They were picked to lose because everyone knew Bama was the better team. What has been shown the past 2 years in the SEC title gane is very simple. The better team won. Simple as that.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
No the SEC title wasnt his to lose. Was UGA favored to win? No they werent. They were picked to lose because everyone knew Bama was the better team. What has been shown the past 2 years in the SEC title gane is very simple. The better team won. Simple as that.
it was his to lose at the half....and he did.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
lol I'm pretty sure they say "douche canoes." I was just messing with you since you made such a big deal about it last time. You're the most easily offended person I've ever encountered. You must be a blast at parties.

That is why I am always invited. Like you aren't here.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Wrong. Bama won it.

ATLANTA — If Georgia was going to upset top-ranked Alabama, the game would probably look a lot like how the 2018 SEC
Championship Game did.
The Bulldogs gave Alabama quarterback, and Heisman Trophy frontrunner, Tua Tagovailoa all he could handle. He had what was likely the worst game of his collegiate career before exiting the game with an injury in the fourth quarter.
Jake Fromm looked spectacular for much of the game with 301 passing yards and three touchdowns, leading the Bulldogs to 454 yards of offense. Georgia also won the turnover battle 2-0 and looked to have control of the game well into the third quarter.
But somehow, Alabama still pulled off a 35-28 win Saturday after a dramatic fourth-quarter comeback behind a backup quarterback to win the SEC championship and solidfy itself as the nation’s No. 1 team.

Through three quarters, Georgia statistically dominated Alabama.
The Bulldogs outgained the top-ranked team 376 yard to 266, possessed the ball for 30:07 of the first 45 minutes and did not allow the Crimson Tide to convert a single third down. Tagovailoa threw two interceptions in a game for the first time in his collegiate career, both of which were picked off near the goal line.
www.redandblack.com/gameday/georgia-faces-harsh-reality-of-losing-sec-title-game-despite/article_c8935812-f5ea-11e8-b951-c7904145ce0f.html

They're playing nationally ranked teams every other week with a sub-par-for-GA-7A o-line... They can certainly move the football
quickly, though the score doesn't necessarily reflect it every game. I'll say this... Keyton gets open with quick polished routes and Gilbert is almost unguardable (though Pappoe/Watson did a good job on him last year) at the high school level

Ramel Keyton's High School Football Stats
Arik Gilbert's High School Football Stats

I believe North Paulding was undefeated going into Marietta... so I made time to watch that one... Keyton got hurt early, I was sad about it and wasn't paying a lot of attention to it for a bit... I looked up a few times like "Who the hell is #2 on Marietta??? Sweet little 6lb, 11oz baby Jesus tell me the Vols have an offer in for him" on his way to 294 yards and 5 touchdowns. (That was Gilbert's stat line, not Bailey's) o_O

How an offensive coach put it to his team....the defense is loaded with 4 stars but dissapear in games. Offense has to put so many points up because the defense doesn't stop anyone.

Reactions: StatelineVOL61
So it wasn't Butch's fault to blow all those fourth quarter leads? the other team just won?
5UIb.gif

VN Store

Back