Future of DI Athletics/Athletics Dept.

There will be a football season. Just my opinion, and that's all it is just like the ones on here acting like they no there won't be one. Folks better hope there is one, the impacts would be very bad and no way basketball is play if football isn't. It also means the virus is truly impacting much more than even most doctors thought would be the case. I just wish folks on here would quit acting like they know more than they do about the situation and throwing out worst case scenario as almost fact. Herby needs to shut up and the NCAA needs to listen to the CDC, there is still time. If things are under control by June like many in the CDC think is possible there will more than likely be a college football season in some fashion. If things haven't leveled out and starting to decline by the middle end of July then it might be off or delayed depending on the level of impact at that time. I think with all the drugs being developed now things are really going to start to get better as we head in May and if things go like they hope I think by June we could be on our way to complete recovery. Truth is nobody knows for sure but there is no reason to expect a worse case scenario with all the optimism the doctors and scientist now have. Also the warmer temps coming our way in the next 2 months figures to help. God Bless and GBO!!!!!

Reactions: onevol74
The expenses for running the departments will be near nil. Salaries and scholies. We won't maintain the same expense level if there is no sports through winter this year. Catch a clue.

If football and other fall sports are cancelled outright, what are the odds that any money still left might get shifted to other areas of UT.

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
2. AD bugets get hammered.
3. Massive cuts to Administration staff, training, coaches, nutrition, etc.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
5. Coaches salaries will be cut by 50%-70% across the board.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Discuss among yourselves.....
If you are right on number 1 and the domino effect happens we must remember the Title IX regarding equal opportunities for women. Could there be more men’s teams cut than women‘s, such as cutting baseball and keeping softball? Could get ugly. I predict there will be a college football season of some sort, reduced schedule, no fans or both. Too much at stake for too many entities.

If you are right on number 1 and the domino effect happens we must remember the Title IX regarding equal opportunities for women. Could there be more men’s teams cut than women‘s, such as cutting baseball and keeping softball? Could get ugly. I predict there will be a college football season of some sort, reduced schedule, no fans or both. Too much at stake for too many entities.
ADs brace for possible financial crisis in 2020-21 ADs brace for possible financial crisis in 2020-21

And so it begins....

College football is the gravy train that supports athletic departments nationwide so I doubt that the 2020 season gets cancelled.

I suspect the days of “we are separate cause we generate our own revenue” days are probably coming to an end. Govt is on the hook when revenues fall, and they’re gonna fall big time.

They won't kill any sports at UT.

Oh, no. I don't mean permanently kill any sports teams at UT. I was thinking more shifting some of the budget temporarily if need be. If there is no football, Neyland Stadium will see much less wear and tear and maintenance this year. Could some money that doesn't have to be used for basic upkeep at the stadium be shifted elsewhere for a semester or two. Maybe temporarily shift like $100,000 over to UT Public Safety to buy or replace equipment. Or maybe temporarily shift funds over to the various colleges at UT to boost the number of academic scholarships.

Oh, no. I don't mean permanently kill any sports teams at UT. I was thinking more shifting some of the budget temporarily if need be. If there is no football, Neyland Stadium will see much less wear and tear and maintenance this year. Could some money that doesn't have to be used for basic upkeep at the stadium be shifted elsewhere for a semester or two. Maybe temporarily shift like $100,000 over to UT Public Safety to buy or replace equipment. Or maybe temporarily shift funds over to the various colleges at UT to boost the number of academic scholarships.
If it’s UT and we have extra money we will fire some coach and pay a severance package. It’s what we do.

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Doesn't matter the world will end in December 2012 MAYA Doomsday.

If no football and virus ramps up and no students equals no tuition. Bigger issue with that for Universities than any sports.

The number of donors dropped at almost 1,000 from last September... Season ticket sales is the next benchmark for the athletic department regarding revenue. They should have a good idea by May 1 how much staff they may have to start furloughing.

They are looking at impacts if there is no football played or the season is modified (condensed, start pushed out, etc) to try to get handle on revenues. Last report, they only had 18 million in reserves and that will not last long. I think they made a 6 million profit last fiscal year. UT doesn't have a lot of funding with no sports activities happening.

I believe if the guidelines are relaxed at the end of April, NCAA and conferences can have a clearer picture of where things may head regarding football. If the guidelines are pushed out further (along with stay at home orders by states) it is highly likely the NCAA will begin planning based on football being spring 2021 at best.

The vaccine is the biggest savior for athletics. With no vaccine and no clear picture on the number of people that have had the virus, I don't believe contact sports can think about starting. They really need to determine if millions of people have already recovered from virus without ever showing symptoms. This is a real possibility. Proving that number could help with the decision making for contact sports.

far too many variables at this moment for any specific plans. Firm plans are dependent on the virus.. many have hope but not hard facts..

@LWSVOL my rep told me if no season then donations would be credited forward and season tickets the same or tickets refunded. I believe them on tickets but not on donations. I’m calling the AD tomorrow and try to get a direct answer. What did they tell you?

Well, if you listen to Kirk Herbstreit you 2 are beating the same drum. However he seems more gleeful about the season being canceled and saying no sports until 2022. I love people like you, you can put your full misery on display in situations like this.
If that becomes true, many people are going to realize that they can live without college athletics and turn their interest to more important things in life. It will be very difficult for college athletics to earn a loyal audience back again.
And you have to remember the new generations are more interested in the World Cup than the National Championship in college football.

Last edited:
Well, if you listen to Kirk Herbstreit you 2 are beating the same drum. However he seems more gleeful about the season being canceled and saying no sports until 2022. I love people like you, you can put your full misery on display in situations like this.

Herbstreit is not the only one who has that opinion. I work with sports media and it has been a hot topic in news circles. We don’t know. To his credit, Herbstreit has the guts to publicly state that it’s a possibility.

Unless there is a vaccine or effective therapies are discovered and can be scaled to the population in the next couple of months (very unlikely IMHO), there will not be a 2020 college football season. No person in a position of authority is going to let 80,000 people congregate in a stadium until there is a vaccine or widely available therapy. That's assuming you could even get anywhere near that many people who would be willing to attend, given the risks of contracting the virus. Even if games could be played without fans in attendance, and somehow college presidents and ADs sign off on allowing contact sports to go forward (unlikely IMHO, given the potential liability), how many players (and their parents) are going to go along and suit up? I am guessing not many. As someone posted above, this virus is likely seasonal, and could easily come back in the fall. Given where things sit now, I would be surprised if colleges allow students back on campus this fall. All classes could very well remain online.

Sorry, I just don't see a 2020 college football season, absent some miraculous developments. I would love to be wrong about this.

If that becomes true, many people are going to realize that they can live without college athletics and turn their interest to more important things in life. It will be very difficult for college athletics to earn a loyal audience back again.
And you have to remember the new generations are more interested in the World Cup than the National Championship in college football.

No the new generation wants a world of E sports because you can play make pretend, you don't have to work or break a sweat

I disagree all the way around, but if I lose college football the rest of that stuff doesn’t matter to me. Don’t wanna see anybody get hurt by this of course.

@LWSVOL my rep told me if no season then donations would be credited forward and season tickets the same or tickets refunded. I believe them on tickets but not on donations. I’m calling the AD tomorrow and try to get a direct answer. What did they tell you?

my understanding was donations not refunded or credited forward. No one has mentioned to me credit forward..

Athletic department would have to furlough a lot of people IMO, if they go into next spring with no TV revenue, no ticket revenue and credit for this year's donation. I just don't see how they can sustain operations like that.. lot of revenue lost..

My crystal ball says:

And it (being #4) begins

Old Dominion Cuts Wrestling; Will Other Non-Revenue Sports Survive Coronavirus Crisis?

University of Cincinnati ending men's soccer program -- permanently

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam I Am
All of these comments/opinions are ludicrous because they speak so much in absolutes. Comment on the season is one thing but the idea that people will give up on college sports forever if a season is skipped is far fetched. That is not how people work. They might realize it is not as important but they will not go away forever. To think we can social distance and save everyone is crazy. People will die of something. Thinking college budgets go to zero is crazy too. Budgets might look different going forward, but people adapt, they find a way to make it work. The problem with our current situation is this very fact people are talking and thinking in absolutes. This is why many people commit suicide. They think there is no hope and they have crossed a point of no return. Don't get caught up in this negative absolute way of thinking. It only results in negative thinking. We need some perspective.

Reactions: TNfan#2 and oz615
How many more college sports do you need to see cut to understand a new "season" for college athletics began in Mid-March 2020? Bowling Green just cut baseball!

Reactions: BisonVol

VN Store

Back