Future of DI Athletics/Athletics Dept.

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
2. AD bugets get hammered.
3. Massive cuts to Administration staff, training, coaches, nutrition, etc.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
5. Coaches salaries will be cut by 50%-70% across the board.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Discuss among yourselves.....

Well, if you listen to Kirk Herbstreit you 2 are beating the same drum. However he seems more gleeful about the season being canceled and saying no sports until 2022. I love people like you, you can put your full misery on display in situations like this.

If football season is canceled all liquor cabinets will need to be confiscated and liquor stores kept closed.

If there is no football season this coming school year then there will be no basketball season either.

You are wrong sir
You are correct. In fact, the virus will likely be as bad this Fall as it has been this year, maybe even lmore since it is already circulating here. There are still a lot of questions about if/how the antibodies from an infection deveop and how long they will last. There is evidence that this virus mutates about every two weeks which would mean it could mutate enough that the antibodies build by our immune system would not recognize the virus which would circulate this coming Fall. There is a lot of information still to be learned, but I do not think that this is a virus we will see only once.

Reactions: esarmstrong
If #1 occurs, which is certainly a possibility but by no means a guarantee at this stage, #2 goes hand-in-hand while a mix of #3, #4 and #6 would likely come to fruition to an extent. Having no college football season this fall is a lot different than the skeletal seasons seen during wartime given the amount of money associated with the sport in the modern era so, ultimately, it stands to reason that you'd decimate innumerable athletics departments by failing to go ahead with the season in some capacity (I recognize what A&M's AD said about playing games without fans being a huge hit, but surely it'd be better for the coffers than no sports at all).

If by some chance this virus were to threaten winter sports and the 2021 men's basketball tournament, which seems incredibly unlikely, the NCAA would absolutely be on life support and the "day of reckoning" for collegiate athletics would assuredly be at hand. I can't say that I see #5 happening given contract structures and the amount of money flowing through the revenue sports but, then again, one might assume that the entire face of collegiate education and sports would be completely different if things are so bad as to have no athletics for another 12+ months.
The expenses for running the departments will be near nil. Salaries and scholies. We won't maintain the same expense level if there is no sports through winter this year. Catch a clue.

My crystal ball says: we are all going to die
No, actually somewhere between 1-2% of those who get COVID19 will die, in all probability. But football is in big trouble this year at the very least. There is a precedent for a football season being cancelled (WWII), but the enormous monetary sums spent directly and indirectly on the sport are what is different about the sport today. This might mean seismic changes in college sports, even if we just lose just one season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The expenses for running the departments will be near nil. Salaries and scholies. We won't maintain the same expense level if there is no sports through winter this year. Catch a clue.

Ah, yes, because approximately 40% of athletic departments’ total expenses are “near nil.” Especially when there’s absolutely no revenue being generated to offset those expenses at the myriad schools lacking the coffers of Tennessee. Brilliant!

I do too Indy! However, the facts are the facts. If I came on here a month and half ago and told everyone that the NCAA Bball tournament would be cancelled, MLB, NBA, MLS, European Soccer, all NCAA spring sports etc...CANCELLED/POSTPONED! Well, I suppose I would have received some of the same comments as this "crystal ball" thread has garnered. There are NO safety nets for big time NCAA Athletic Departments. The "crystal ball" is a distinct possibility, and if I were an AD I would be making contingency plans ....today! Cognitive dissonance is a real thing.
Yes, this thread is loaded with proof of it.

Ah, yes, because approximately 40% of athletic departments’ total expenses are “near nil.” Especially when there’s absolutely no revenue being generated to offset those expenses at the myriad schools lacking the coffers of Tennessee. Brilliant!
Operating costs will be minimized for all schools. Those with coffers less than UT will suffer but I doubt seriously this one blip will cause mass cancellation of entire sporting programs at other schools. However, many on here claiming gloom and doom would willing pay players for their selfless and unappreciated contributions to the school. In two years this blip will be nothing more than that, a blip.

I think you would be amazed at the amount of cost reduction that can be done before you get to the point of wiping out entire sports at a school unless the school wanted to shed those programs to begin with.

VN Store

Back