Future of DI Athletics/Athletics Dept.

How many more college sports do you need to see cut to understand a new "season" for college athletics began in Mid-March 2020? Bowling Green just cut baseball!

Akron Athletic Director Announces School Is Cutting 3 Sports

The University of Akron will cut mens golf, mens cross country, and womens tennis. There is also concern that the university will not be able to honor the scholarships of the students on those teams, so they'll either have to find some other scholarships, get on at another school, or face the prospect of dropping out of college outright.

It looks like the Power 5 Conferences are okay right now, but every other Division I school, and all Division II and Division III school may face the prospect of having to cut something.

Last edited:
My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
2. AD bugets get hammered.
3. Massive cuts to Administration staff, training, coaches, nutrition, etc.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
5. Coaches salaries will be cut by 50%-70% across the board.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Discuss among yourselves.....
I'd like to kick your crystal ball into the rock quarry, up the street. :p

Reactions: kcvols1
Stanford eliminates 11 varsity sports......Stanford...........Stanford.......
"The school says because of the costs associated with running 36 varsity sports teams, the athletics program has been carrying an economic deficit for years -- and the pandemic exacerbated the financial burden.

The Cardinal sports teams to be eliminated are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling."

Yeah, a major blow to the NCAA to lose those sports teams.

WTF is lightweight rowing?

"The school says because of the costs associated with running 36 varsity sports teams, the athletics program has been carrying an economic deficit for years -- and the pandemic exacerbated the financial burden.

The Cardinal sports teams to be eliminated are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling."

Yeah, a major blow to the NCAA to lose those sports teams.

WTF is lightweight rowing?

Stanford is usually in the running for the Directors's Cup every year.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Give it 3-4 weeks, Einstein. The charts really aren’t that hard to read. Sheesh....
Three to 4 weeks to do what? NY to go thru the roof or the other states to plunge to nothing? Youre right. They arent hard to read.

The SEC mandates a specific number of sports each school has to participate in. Not sure the number but there are more sports offered than is mandatory so the SEC would have to direct that sports to be dropped below the min. number, individual schools cannot make that decision arbitrarily.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The SEC mandates a specific number of sports each school has to participate in. Not sure the number but there are more sports offered than is mandatory so the SEC would have to direct that sports to be dropped below the min. number, individual schools cannot make that decision arbitrarily.

I might be slightly misinterpreting this, but my understanding is that the NCAA requires all Division 1 schools to sponsor 14 sports (with either a 50%/50% split in terms of sports/gender or an advantage to women) with at least one sport/gender/season. Since it looks as if Vanderbilt sponsors 16 sports (two outside of the SEC) and they offer the fewest sports, every SEC school has some wiggle room in terms of NCAA compliance but perhaps not SEC standing.

There are people who can explain it way better, but the problem seems focused largely on Division 1 schools that are struggling while sponsoring the minimum number of sports (I'd imagine a fair number) who can't cut and remain compliant (Division 2 drops the minimum to 10, but that must come with its own financial pitfalls) in addition to schools that sponsor 15-20 sports that would like to downsize but can't do so mathematically while remaining in Title IX compliance (similar opportunities for men and women, so the 85/63 scholarships for FBS/FCS football have already forced them to artificially inflate the number of scholarships and sports on the women's side). The NCAA is going to have to figure something out, though, because things start looking especially bad when a cash-flush school that wins oodles of national titles (Stanford) is already downsizing due to their anticipated deficit.

Last edited:
Three to 4 weeks to do what? NY to go thru the roof or the other states to plunge to nothing? Youre right. They arent hard to read.

391EC31E-7275-44A8-8A66-7E45F4AA8035.jpeg

If you can’t see that NY peaked and came down to very low levels of new cases, I can’t help you.

Here is another one...remember when Italy was entering the Apocalypse? It looks completely different now:

4CBFE8C5-152E-4342-96AD-B85F3E4D5EAA.jpeg

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
2. AD bugets get hammered.
3. Massive cuts to Administration staff, training, coaches, nutrition, etc.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
5. Coaches salaries will be cut by 50%-70% across the board.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Discuss among yourselves.....
You can't just cut the salaries of people under contract. Don't work that way. The season will get canceled and all other sport will too then life will go back to normal when everything clears up. Ticket prices will double cause they have to make up for the losses this year.

Actually, you can cut salaries. Actually, it is happening now in certain instances. Actually, it will happen. "Act of God" vs. Jimmy Sexton. My money is on God.

My SEC office source is telling me that the announcement of the season cancelled is at T-minus 11 days.

The number of donors dropped at almost 1,000 from last September... Season ticket sales is the next benchmark for the athletic department regarding revenue. They should have a good idea by May 1 how much staff they may have to start furloughing.

They are looking at impacts if there is no football played or the season is modified (condensed, start pushed out, etc) to try to get handle on revenues. Last report, they only had 18 million in reserves and that will not last long. I think they made a 6 million profit last fiscal year. UT doesn't have a lot of funding with no sports activities happening.

I believe if the guidelines are relaxed at the end of April, NCAA and conferences can have a clearer picture of where things may head regarding football. If the guidelines are pushed out further (along with stay at home orders by states) it is highly likely the NCAA will begin planning based on football being spring 2021 at best.

The vaccine is the biggest savior for athletics. With no vaccine and no clear picture on the number of people that have had the virus, I don't believe contact sports can think about starting. They really need to determine if millions of people have already recovered from virus without ever showing symptoms. This is a real possibility. Proving that number could help with the decision making for contact sports.

far too many variables at this moment for any specific plans. Firm plans are dependent on the virus.. many have hope but not hard facts..

That was April 4th. It is now July 20th. Much changed?

VN Store

Back