Future of College Sports

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Clearly college sports landscape has changed more than ever the past few years with NIL, transfer portal and crazy conference realignments. What's the future hold? We're now (more than ever) in a constant bidding war with schools on recruits and where the portal has become a free agency tool that's probably more important than recruiting these days. Along with all that more and more players are sitting out bowls (not saying they shouldn't) and before long will be skipping season games because of their draft potential. It's got a bad feel to it in the not to long future.

Reactions: feathersax
Meh, I dunno. Will it look different? Sure. Something had to change and the NCAA/Universities resisted every step of the way. There wasn’t ever going to be incremental change, it had to be a complete face lift.

Reactions: bamawriter
Anybody who thinks they know what is going to happen, good or bad, is FOS. Several arguments against the NIL have been disproven:

1) the rich will just get richer/only power 5 schools will benefit (the #1 recruit just committed to Jackson St.)

2) the only players who will make $ are future big time pros (follow Fulky and see what's up)

3) only a few players will benefit (all 35 BYU walk-ons on sponsored scholly)

4) it will be the end of small sports (no evidence yet that this is true)

5) women's sports won't benefit

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks they know what is going to happen, good or bad, is FOS. Several arguments against the NIL have been disproven:

1) the rich will just get richer/only power 5 schools will benefit (the #1 recruit just committed to Jackson St.)

2) the only players who will make $ are future big time pros (follow Fulky and see what's up)

3) only a few players will benefit (all 35 BYU walk-ons on sponsored scholly)

4) it will be the end of small sports (no evidence yet that this is true)

5) women's sports won't benefit
Well the OP asked for peoples predictions.

Anyway of course it’s impossible to know exactly how things will shake out. Read the Supreme Court ruling on the NCAA extra-educational benefits and it becomes a little clearer. The Justices were mostly aligned and given Kavanughs separate opinion he paints a picture of what it will look like. Universities will be forced to share revenue with athletes (NIL is peanuts by comparison). There isn’t an athletic department in the country even remotely close to being able to absorb that kind of expense. The current state of college athletics has been built using free labor. Now they have to pay for it? It’s not hard to imagine the ramifications

College athletics will be forced to evolve into a business entity and function like other for profit businesses. Who knows what it will eventually look like other than major changes to the status and compensation of the players will happen, apart from NIL. The NCAA doesn’t have anti-trust exemption so at some point I see players unions and collective bargaining as well. Just my opinion.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Title IX also. If schools start paying men, they'll have to pay women also. It's not financially feasible.

If the NCAA and schools have any sense they'll start to get out of the big business of athletics ASAP to get ahead of the courts.

It's sad but the NCAA/schools created this huge, lucrative business model based on an unequal relationship with the players. We should be thankful, in some ways, that the United States court system works to fix inequities like this, but it's going to change a lot of tradition.

Title IX also. If schools start paying men, they'll have to pay women also. It's not financially feasible.

If the NCAA and schools have any sense they'll start to get out of the big business of athletics ASAP to get ahead of the courts.

It's sad but the NCAA/schools created this huge, lucrative business model based on an unequal relationship with the players. We should be thankful, in some ways, that the United States court system works to fix inequities like this, but it's going to change a lot of tradition.
Actually TV caused it offering billions for exclusive rights for programming

Reactions: Raebo and VOL_Lyfe
I don't like the NIL thingy... at all. But I do like the transfer portal to an extent. It allows a kid with great potential (Harrison Bailey comes to mind) to bail out of a situation that turned south on him due to no fault of his own. It also changes the importance of high school recruiting in that you can fill holes immediately. The portal introduces another level to the chess game.

Might as well allow high school kids to turn pro right away and see how well that goes

Agreed. Let them do as they wish. Either choose the pros out of high school or commit for 3 years minimum. If you choose the pros and wash out, best of luck in future endeavors but college football is not an option.

Maybe the best solution is just go back to teams being glorified intramurals. Do away with recruiting, scholarships, etc completely. Completely volunteer team-no pun intended NIL framework in place already to aid in student/players who are unable to afford tuition.

After all, we as fans have caused some of this mess with Disney throwing around billion $ contracts. I like watching HH, the Mays boys, etc play but I in the end am cheering for UT. The names on the uniform are secondary. I would imagine I am not alone on that.

Reactions: 508mikey
I’ll keep saying it, because it’s gonna happen…

Athletes are going to unionize. Then, look out.
Lockouts and strikes are then around the corner

Reactions: tbwhhs
The transfer portal is a much bigger detriment to college sports currently than NIL. If you want to talk about the rich getting richer look no further than the portal. If you’re a good wide receiver who balled out for 1,000 + yards and 10+ TDs at a Utah State or Marshall where do you want to go showcase your talents? Maybe go catch passes from Bryce Young or CJ Stroud? The lower level FBS and in some cases FCS are all now serving as the farm leagues to the Power 5 schools and the Power 5 to the NFL is AAA. Add to this that so many kids get left out in the cold once you hit the portal. Your scholarship is gone and you better have a landing spot.

I kinda presume that “the future” is defined by viewer interest; it seems like that is the one thing that nobody is concerned about. But I admit if I was the guy with cumulative head trauma, I might think success is defined another way. I think we’ve seen peak viewer interest. That’s my prediction. When Saban retires, things could get “more interesting” but I don’t expect that to reverse the overall trend.

Player interest is dramatically lower already.

Reactions: golfballs
People have complained about the future of college football since the forward pass was introduced.

Nothing will change in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: zjcvols
I’ll keep saying it, because it’s gonna happen…

Athletes are going to unionize. Then, look out.
Lockouts and strikes are then around the corner

I think NIL actually did a good job lessening the chances of that happening actually.

VN Store

Back