Fulmer on Signing day

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
from the Tennessean

Fulmer has been living off the glory of the 1998 national championship. Since then, the Vols have averaged 8.7 wins a season with a high of 11 and the low of five.
He is now in a league that includes Spurrier, Saban, Mark Richt, Tommy Tuberville and Urban Meyer. Arkansas' Houston Nutt and LSU's Les Miles aren't chopped liver.
Fulmer can compete on signing day with any of them. But he has found the competition increasingly more difficult when it comes to beating them on game day.
He is 2-3 against Spurrier since 1999, 0-2 against Meyer. He is 2-4 against Richt, 1-3 against Tuberville and 1-2 against Saban. No winning records against the elite coaches.

from the Tennessean

Fulmer has been living off the glory of the 1998 national championship. Since then, the Vols have averaged 8.7 wins a season with a high of 11 and the low of five.
He is now in a league that includes Spurrier, Saban, Mark Richt, Tommy Tuberville and Urban Meyer. Arkansas' Houston Nutt and LSU's Les Miles aren't chopped liver.
Fulmer can compete on signing day with any of them. But he has found the competition increasingly more difficult when it comes to beating them on game day.
He is 2-3 against Spurrier since 1999, 0-2 against Meyer. He is 2-4 against Richt, 1-3 against Tuberville and 1-2 against Saban. No winning records against the elite coaches.

i saw this they also interviewed hamilton to get his thoughts on our drop off. mikey sounded clueless, pretty much said how can i fire a guy that got me hired.

If you read a little closer, Hamilton said that he thought that 1 NC, 2 CC, and 4 championship games every 10 years was reasonable... that 10 years is now up. It appears Fulmer will get an extension but probably not a raise.

All the hyper-negative stuff out here in public probably hurts the team. However, the fact that Fulmer probably won't get a raise and will possibly have compensation tied to performance suggests that someone whose opinon really matters (as opposed to us) is applying some pressure.

BTW, Don't underestimate how valuable Fulmer's abilities on signing day have been for the last 13 years. Few if any have proven they can get more elite recruits to a school in a state that doesn't produce that many. In fact, can anyone name someone who does a better job at recruiting top talent from other states?

BTW, Don't underestimate how valuable Fulmer's abilities on signing day have been for the last 13 years. Few if any have proven they can get more elite recruits to a school in a state that doesn't produce that many. In fact, can anyone name someone who does a better job at recruiting top talent from other states?

usc, ohio state, michigan. they all have better in state prospects though so they can pick and choose.

I don't know, maybe ND this year. But there are much fewer football power houses in that area, which makes recuiting easier.

Doesn't really matter if you can't do anything with the talent and consistently get UT in the BCS bowl mix.

what kills me is that the players seem to regress under phil, I know that Casey was def better as a freshman than when he graduated.

I don't know, maybe ND this year. But there are much fewer football power houses in that area, which makes recuiting easier.
ND doesn't quite count with all of those Catholic feeder high schools. They've been a national school for a long time and its part of their personna.

Doesn't really matter if you can't do anything with the talent and consistently get UT in the BCS bowl mix.
Really? You'd rather be annually hoping for 6 or 7 wins and a Milkbone Bowl bid than being competitive at the highest level?

What did UT miss the BCS by this year after going 5-6 and replacing several coaches last year? They lost by one to the NC and 4 to the #3 team behind a back-up QB making his first start. Who knows what the Arkansas game might have been like had Ainge not been injured? Who knows what the season would have been like without the freak injuries to Harrell and Johnson? If they had beaten LSU and been at least competitive with Arkansas, they probably would've gotten the Sugar Bowl. If they'd beaten Arkansas, it is certain they would have.

Sorry but I'd rather see them with the talent to compete at the highest levels. I think the chemistry between Cut, Chavis, and Fulmer will bring championships back to K'ville and soon. The OC and DC are disciplinarians. That allows Fulmer to be the loving guy who is going to 'see your son through these difficult days of transition to manhood"... and all that stuff.

Argue all you want but I firmly believe the decline was primarily due to Fulmer's loyalty to an OC who was a long time Vol but was in over his head and because Casey Clausen started for 4 years.

If you look at the Fulmer era QB's side by side Clausen stands out for one reason. They're all tough. They all ran the offense well. But he doesn't meet the standard for physical ability. He was slow and his arm was neither strong nor particularly accurate.

Loyalty is usually a good thing. But Fulmer seems to have learned his lesson that loyalty can't interfere with necessary discipline whether its a player or coach.

I think there is certainly merit in the points in that post. The HC does not "develop talent" the coordinators and position coaches do. And, under Fulmer the assistant coaches have developed a ton of talent that has gone on to the NFL. The last few years that has been a problem. I think the coordinator and position coaches that attributed the most to that problem are gone. I think talent is certainly getting developed better now and will continue to develop better.

I think there is certainly merit in the points in that post. The HC does not "develop talent" the coordinators and position coaches do. And, under Fulmer the assistant coaches have developed a ton of talent that has gone on to the NFL. The last few years that has been a problem. I think the coordinator and position coaches that attributed the most to that problem are gone. I think talent is certainly getting developed better now and will continue to develop better.

Very reasonable rick. I think UT has seen a dramatic drop in talent due to poor evaluation and undercoaching. The real test will be what this coaching staff does with te 04 recruiting class. If they begin to contribute substantially next year we will have our answer.

If you read a little closer, Hamilton said that he thought that 1 NC, 2 CC, and 4 championship games every 10 years was reasonable... that 10 years is now up. It appears Fulmer will get an extension but probably not a raise.

All the hyper-negative stuff out here in public probably hurts the team. However, the fact that Fulmer probably won't get a raise and will possibly have compensation tied to performance suggests that someone whose opinon really matters (as opposed to us) is applying some pressure.

IMHO 2 conference championships in 10 years is not ok with me by any means. We should expect to at least be in contention with one every year. We should have the attitude of the gators in the 90's when Spurrier managed to reel off 5 SEC Championsips in 6 years from 1991-1996.

The SEC from 91-96 is not the SEC of today. No team, absolutely no team, is going to win 5 out of 6 in today's SEC. It is too strong from top to bottom.

Very reasonable rick. I think UT has seen a dramatic drop in talent due to poor evaluation and undercoaching. The real test will be what this coaching staff does with te 04 recruiting class. If they begin to contribute substantially next year we will have our answer.

You mean we are supposed to wait and see what happens instead of assuming it will be bad? That is a novel concept around here. Up with The Vols! Down with The NegaVols! :yahoo:

You mean we are supposed to wait and see what happens instead of assuming it will be bad? That is a novel concept around here. Up with The Vols! Down with The NegaVols! :yahoo:

if you assume it will be bad then you won't be upset when fulmer makes it happen.:rock:

Being a negavol myself, I do think that this staff, minus RS is capable of developing talent. However the lack thereof must also be attributed to an assessment of their efforts. Next year is put up or shut up time.

I agree that the staff has done a great job recruiting this class, i mean everything has fell our way. We will need more like this class to get back to a powerhouse.

ya i know. but it is nice to dream:p
But is it reasonable to hold Fulmer accountable because your dreams are unrealistic?

BTW, the point I was making about Hamilton was that I think he was indirectly saying it is time for CPF to produce a champion.

I would actually agree with you though. I would consider 2 championships and 4 appearances a minimum standard, not a goal. IOW's if the Vols go two more years without winning the SEC then they have performed below minimum standard.

Being a negavol myself, I do think that this staff, minus RS is capable of developing talent. However the lack thereof must also be attributed to an assessment of their efforts. Next year is put up or shut up time.
I'm not a negavol and agree with your last sentence.

I think the table is set for the Vols if the players are coached and developed between now and Sept.

VN Store

Back